ADVERTISEMENT

Briscoe and Ullis will be a better backcourt then the Harrison twins

This is nothing more than a Harrison's bash session. Not sure what some of you were expecting or wanting from those guys but they were very successful at UK. I'm also not sure why folks are so eager to dismiss a backcourt that reached two finals fours and one championship game. Not to mention Briscoe may not even start if Cal goes with a larger line-up. Talent wise and NBA potential wise a Ulis/Briscoe and/or a Ulis/Murray backcourt may end up being "better" but unless they bring home a championship you can't really compare the success.

The twins played a key role on two great squads who accomplished a TON, but they also were 542 for 1408 for a whopping 38.5% over a two year span. If our guards shoot below 40% this year we will not be winning a title. Count me as one who thinks our guard play will be significantly improved. And as others have stated I think our offensive pace will be much improved without the classic Harrison to Harrison to Harrison to Harrison swing passes that were far too often

Reactions: WCBcats
Luckily, the '16 guards won't have to be better than the Twins, they just have to better than their opponents.

Reactions: brianpoe
This is nothing more than a Harrison's bash session. Not sure what some of you were expecting or wanting from those guys but they were very successful at UK. I'm also not sure why folks are so eager to dismiss a backcourt that reached two finals fours and one championship game. Not to mention Briscoe may not even start if Cal goes with a larger line-up. Talent wise and NBA potential wise a Ulis/Briscoe and/or a Ulis/Murray backcourt may end up being "better" but unless they bring home a championship you can't really compare the success.

Agreed. Never have two players accomplished so much only to be dumped on by their fanbase. The way they were treated, and continue to be treated, is a real black eye for the BBN. These guys started every game and played major roles on one team that played in the National Championship game, and another team that went 38-1 and made the Final Four, yet they are viewed as "disappointments" by many. If you can't see how truly stupid that is, then you are beyond help.

Those two deserve so much better than what some fans are giving them. They took UK to back to back final fours. Maybe they weren't the best shooters or ball handlers or defenders. But, they were the best for our teams. Now they turn the keys over to the next in line. We need to celebrate what the twins did for us, thank them for it, and move on to supporting the next players up.

We lost the Wisc game because Andrew thought he could beat his man & Cal allowed it. We will be better @ guard this year

I wouldn't be surprised by that. Let's face it the twins just never quite lived up to their hype coming out of HS. I remember the day they announced for UK. This place celebrated wildly with expectations both would be superstars. Not quite though they both certainly had their moments. Ulis is a known quantity, but Briscoe isn't. Sure looks to have the potential to be great, but so did the twins. I'll wait until we see him on the court to decide. Of course now we have Murray as well so let's hope one of Cal's problems is how to get all 3 of those guys enough PT.
If, when the twins came to UK that you were told they would get us to two final fours...you would have been ecstatic.

We lost the Wisc game because Andrew thought he could beat his man & Cal allowed it. We will be better @ guard this year
Andrew did it in the last five minutes of every close game until this one....why the hell would cal do anything different. Uk played a bad last five minutes and got screwed on a tip in that cost us 2 points, at the most critical point of the game. Nothing more.

Reactions: ciphercomplete
Those two deserve so much better than what some fans are giving them. They took UK to back to back final fours. Maybe they weren't the best shooters or ball handlers or defenders. But, they were the best for our teams. Now they turn the keys over to the next in line. We need to celebrate what the twins did for us, thank them for it, and move on to supporting the next players up.
This times ten. Nailed it .

I think it is hysterical how Wall and Bledsoe got us to an elite 8....and they are treated like gods on this board. Where as, the twins led us to a National runner up and a final four and they are criticized. Effing spoiled ungrateful fans, drives me crazy. Go cats.

Tyler Ulis is the type of guy I have confidence will "have chemistry" with any back court mate(s) on the court. The guy is a leader and a winner and makes his teammates better.

Reactions: jarms24
And hopefully you'll research before making posts lol. Dukes starting guards both shot over 40%. I don't dislike the twins, quite the contrary. They were great players and I enjoyed watching them play a lot. What I don't adhere to is unquestioned praise for former players. Instead of attacking my argument based on the idea the twins brought the cats two final fours I would love to hear an argument for their perfection basked on an analytic approach. Meanwhile I'll continue being a huge twins fan, which shockingly is possible even if you don't feel they were perfect players for UK.

If back to back Final Fours is a measure of a great player, then give credit to Lee, Hawkins, Willis, & Poy. Don't those four have back to back FF's also?

Love the twins and appreciate their time and success at UK, but overall I do expect our backcourt to be better this year.

Reactions: UK HEMINGWAY
I think it is hysterical how Wall and Bledsoe got us to an elite 8....and they are treated like gods on this board. Where as, the twins led us to a National runner up and a final four and they are criticized. Effing spoiled ungrateful fans, drives me crazy. Go cats.

Please don't try to equate. Wall and Bledsoe were the reason we got an elite eight. The twins were a major part of the FF's, but not the most important reason. Since it is a team effort, we would not have done it without them, but there were other guards in the NCAA last year that could have done this if we had had them for 2 years.

And hopefully you'll research before making posts lol. Dukes starting guards both shot over 40%. I don't dislike the twins, quite the contrary. They were great players and I enjoyed watching them play a lot. What I don't adhere to is unquestioned praise for former players. Instead of attacking my argument based on the idea the twins brought the cats two final fours I would love to hear an argument for their perfection basked on an analytic approach. Meanwhile I'll continue being a huge twins fan, which shockingly is possible even if you don't feel they were perfect players for UK.

Not sure how that reply popped back up after I deleted it. I thought you were referring to 3pt %'s, once I realized they were not I deleted it and it popped back up when replying to another post.

Reactions: ia.ukfan
We all know the limitations of the twins and that they did not perform up to their high school ratings. We all wish them well and have high hopes for this next group.

We should all be embarrassed that not only did the kids catch crap in this thread, we fans went back and forth all due to a UNC fan starting a controversial thread.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y

Who bashed them? I have not seen one post of anyone saying "The Twins sucked. They were awful" etc etc. Ive seen some people say that they didn't live up to the hype. Whats wrong with that? Hell Greg Anthony said that today during their summer league game against each other. Face it, we had a lot of success while they were here no doubt, but they weren't as good as how they were hyped.

I don't think anyone could have lived up to the hype that was associated with the Harrison twins arrival at UK.College ball was a more difficult transition than they thought it would be.The same is likely to happen to the latest 'greatest ever ' back court arriving on campus now.I will wait till they play at least one game before calling them the best ever to put on a U.K. uniform.

Cal's run has been pretty amazing,the incoming players have much to live up to(not only the twins but Wall,Bledsoe and Knight) if they stake their claim to be in that mix of players then they will be fine and most of us will be happy with them.

I think its fair to say that Briscoe/Ulis or whatever starting guard tandem we use will be much different than the twins. I think it is a stretch to say they will be obviously better or that a legitimate comparison can be done. The twins were very unique. For a guard tandem, they were bruisers. Both capable of playing very physical on both ends of the floor. Particularly in their sophomore year, they gave as good as they got in the SEC.

This past year we were capable of presenting much different looks depending on whether the twins or Ulis/Booker were in the game. Must have been a pain in the ass having to coach against that. One set of guards played like tanks. Another set of guards were more finesse. Also, I think the twins were very tough defensively, particularly when the rough housing started like with LSU or Arkansas. I always felt comfortable with them on the floor as physical play can be adapted to a lot of situations.

This years team will struggle to present that sort of variety to an opposing team. That doesn't necessarily mean that 2015 was better, but 2016 will be more a traditional look and a more consistent look in the backcourt. However, it will come down to the same things it always does. Can you mount a stifling defense of some sort. That is the single most important consideration and with Calipari, you play defense or you don't play. Then on the other end, can you shoot the rock, keep your turnovers down and drop your free throws. If so, it will be a very interesting year, like the last two.

Andrew did it in the last five minutes of every close game until this one....why the hell would cal do anything different. Uk played a bad last five minutes and got screwed on a tip in that cost us 2 points, at the most critical point of the game. Nothing more.

Absolutely dead on!!

It's the "Mighty Casey at bat" syndrome. Make the shot every time and you are a hero. Fail just once and you've been a failure since birth.

The twins were an outstanding guard tandem. Their end results were nearly without parallel over two years when you boil it down to wins, loses and tournament performance. However, due to the last five minutes of one game, we lost and not entirely due to their play. However, a few folks will cherry pick whatever moment or stat they can find to run them down weighing those few minutes greater than their entire contribution over their time at Kentucky.

Those two young men deserve much greater respect than some provide them. They gave us a hell of a ride for two years.

Agreed. Never have two players accomplished so much only to be dumped on by their fanbase. The way they were treated, and continue to be treated, is a real black eye for the BBN. These guys started every game and played major roles on one team that played in the National Championship game, and another team that went 38-1 and made the Final Four, yet they are viewed as "disappointments" by many. If you can't see how truly stupid that is, then you are beyond help.

I get so sick of seeing these kids get bashed. Its went on for 2 straight years. In the thread asking what topic drove you crazy I put Harrison twins bashing threads. Those kids busted their asses and carried us to 2 final fours only to get ripped apart by this fan base. They would get blamed for the tiniest mistake while other players who actually deserved blame escaped it every time. You assholes need to get off their backs and appreciate what those kids went through and still led us to 2 final fours. They saved our asses more than any guards in a long time. They were clutch. I suggested the irrational haters would continue to bash them when things go wrong next year and it looks like the same usual suspects will continue.

Imagine that, you bashing the twins. I mean why expect it to stop, you've done it more than anyone the last 2 years. Funny how you pick one game and ignore the whole 2014 tournament or the numerous times they won us games we should have lost this past season. Pathetic dude, really pathetic.

Who bashed them? I have not seen one post of anyone saying "The Twins sucked. They were awful" etc etc. Ive seen some people say that they didn't live up to the hype. Whats wrong with that? Hell Greg Anthony said that today during their summer league game against each other. Face it, we had a lot of success while they were here no doubt, but they weren't as good as how they were hyped.

You must be blind, and are def ignorant.

Reactions: Mike-D
Not sure how that reply popped back up after I deleted it. I thought you were referring to 3pt %'s, once I realized they were not I deleted it and it popped back up when replying to another post.

I was confused also, don't mean to be on the attack or anything and I usually enjoy your input... I think there are just different ways of looking at things and thats okay. Some fans really dislike picking apart former players and look at that as trashing/bashing them. I'm more of a realist and have no problem picking apart players I am/was a huge fan of, unless you were AD you likely had some negatives for fans to comment on. I guess to some degree it depends on the manner/tone in which you criticize the former player and some clearly go to far. On the other hand some are clearly overly sensitive. Such is the nature of message boards, gotta have thick skin to survive on rupps rafters, that is for sure.

67-11 record, two Final Fours, and a title game appearance. Not too shabby for a starting backcourt.

I would love to just get a Final Four appearance from our new guys.

Twins definitely don't suck but just because they made the finals 1 year and the final four the next doesn't mean they were great. They were solid though.

Twins definitely don't suck but just because they made the finals 1 year and the final four the next doesn't mean they were great. They were solid though.

Very true. I'm not sure what greatness people are seeing with our new backcourt as of yet though. Don't get me wrong, I think they will be very solid and maybe even good...but let's see how it goes first.

Good grief. A bashing thread? Why, because you made it one? The board security and thought police need to take a break. Calling this a thread bash is well over the rational line.

Based on several factors it's easily seen why Ulis/Bris/Murray could in fact be a better college duo. But you're right in that if they don't get to the final four it really can't be said.

As for some others I think it's time for some to let go of the fact that '15 didn't win it and this team could in fact be more well rounded and consistent from all angles of basketball. Ulis will make a run for POY of he sticks around.

Last edited:
Very true. I'm not sure what greatness people are seeing with our new backcourt as of yet though. Don't get me wrong, I think they will be very solid and maybe even good...but let's see how it goes first.
Yup that is how I view it. Some people get their expectations up too high with these incoming players. You never know how guys will turn out.

How many teams could lose the Harrison twins and Booker, and have an even better backcourt the following season?

I could see it. The trio of Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray will almost certainly be better.

Both the twins had excellent size for college guards, were able to finish (most of the time) through contact. Aaron was an especially clutch shooter; Andrew did an excellent job running the point and getting to the rim. However, their games were not without flaws. They could also be streaky shooters and they didn't have elite athleticism--they were neither high risers nor lightning quick. This could be very damaging, especially when they couldn't stay in front of small, "waterbug" guards.

On defense, I actually think Ulis and Murray/Briscoe will be better because they have the ability to stay in front of people, a must for a team that flatly refuses to play zone. My concern is whether or not they'll be able to finish at the rim like the twins could.

ADVERTISEMENT