ADVERTISEMENT

Best backcourt in Cal's tenure at UK?

Best backcourt in Cal's tenure at UK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would've went with Wall and Bledsoe but their shooting during their season here at UK was streaky at best and it cost us a championship.

I'm not sure how you could say they cost us a championship unless having them made us a championship level team. You could team up the rest of the guards and compare them to Wall and I'd still choose him.

I really wanted to say Knight/Lamb, but Wall is and was just so good, I had to take the first duo

Teague and Lamb. Lamb was one of the more underrated players in UK history. As great as the 2012 team was, they always went to Lamb when they needed a basket; and he always delivered. Very underrated defender, and very underrated finisher at the rim.

Teague was a terrific defender. By March, he was a knockdown shooter at the top of the key, great decision maker, terrific athlete, and greater finisher.

Reactions: wcc31
I agree that Teague wasn't the best in the regular season, but my memory is that he was clutch in the Tournament. In particular, I remember Teague and Lamb playing great in the Final Four while hitting multiple big shots. I always thought Lamb should have been named the Final Four MVP.
Lamb didn't play well against Louisville, which instantly took him out of the discussion. Teague played better, but you look at the box scores and you realize a lot of people exaggerated the jump.

Best starting backcourt: Wall and Bledsoe. Hands down.

Best overall backcourt: the twins, Ulis and Booker.

You can say Teague and Lamb, which I respect because they won the title. But I feel like the biggest reason they won was Davis and MKG. Lamb was a lights out shooter which was exactly what he needed to be for the team. And Teague just needed to distribute the ball well, which he did. They played their parts. They didn't have to be "the man". Wall, however, was indeed the best player on the team. He was to his position what Anthony Davis was to his. Any team can slip up in the tournament which unfortunately happened to the 2009-10 team. But I feel like if they could have won the last three games this probably wouldn't even be a discussion.

Not it is not.

As much as we like the debate these things, there's really not much to argue here on either question. The best starting frontcourt of the Cal era is clearly the 2012 team (Davis/MKG/Jones) and the best starting backcourt is rather clearly 2010 (Wall/Bledsoe).

And oh wouldn't it have been fun to watch the two combined on one UK team. Maybe in heaven....

Problem is- you're looking at things on paper and not in real life. Yeah, that's a ridiculous amount of talent and they could probably win it all just based on that alone, but this is college basketball- WHO is going to make a three-pointer with that group? Your 3 perimeter players are all suspect AT BEST from deep. Hell, Jones is probably the best outside shooter of that crew.

As Rupp said, basketball isn't just throwing the 5 best talents together. It's not 5 us-vs-them matchups. It's the best 5 players whose games compliment each other.

It's almost like you guys DIDN'T watch that West Virginia game in '10. Yeah, it was a fluke we went 4-32 but it wasn't a fluke we were terrible from the outside. That was evident from Day 1.

Funny how this works.

Most talented...Wall and Bledsoe.
Most productive...Knight and Lamb.
Most depth...Aa. Harrison, An. Harrison, Ulis, Booker.
Most accomplished...Teague and Lamb.

The way college basketball is now though, give me Wall and Bledsoe every year and I'll take my chances with the rest working out.

I would gladly take a Wall/Bledsoe type of combo every season and let the chips fall where they may. Yeah, one ugly game to remember but I would still go with those two every time.

There was more than one ugly game that season. People forget the turnover and shooting issues all year.

To me there are only 3 backcourts to even consider, Kinght/Lamb, Teague/Lamb, Wall/Bledsoe. From there it is going to depend on what criteria you want to put on the discussion. If the criteria is strictly the most talented, the Wall/Bledsoe is the answer. If the criteria is strictly success on the court, the answer is Teague/Lamb as they were the only ones of the group to win a championship. If the criteria is being able to carry a team on their backs, then the answer is Knight/Lamb, as they clearly did that with going to a final four with much less talent than the other two choices. I can't really argue with anyone who picks any of these 3 combos, but it is more of a discussion than some are giving it credit for. The 2010 team didn't lose because they shot a very low percentage from 3, it was because they took 32 of those shots. People will get mad about this, but that is leadership, which comes from your backcourt. Not being able to knock down 3s isn't a killer in itself, but if you can't make the shots, you can't fire 32 of them. I honestly believe this debacle is the reason Cal has been so adamant about driving the ball the last few years, especially against Wisconsin where in both match-ups they only took 11 3s combined, even when they made their first 3 attempts this year.

I chose Teague and Lamb only because they brought us 8. That is why we play the game, isn't it?

I think many look too much at what they have become (their NBA career) to make this assessment.
Wall couldn't shoot. Knight didn't have Wall's quickness, but he was quick enough. It's Knight & Lamb without a doubt.

I think many look too much at what they have become (their NBA career) to make this assessment.
Wall couldn't shoot. Knight didn't have Wall's quickness, but he was quick enough. It's Knight & Lamb without a doubt.
Wall was still a markedly better player his one year here.

John Wall broke the GD UK single season assists record as a freshman.

I agree that Teague wasn't the best in the regular season, but my memory is that he was clutch in the Tournament. In particular, I remember Teague and Lamb playing great in the Final Four while hitting multiple big shots. I always thought Lamb should have been named the Final Four MVP.

Teague made a clutch shot against KU, but his 47 TS% suggests he had a miserable time shooting at the Final Four.

Lamb had a great championship game, but the UL game was kind of a stinker. Davis had a bad offensive game against KU, but he was dominant on defense in both games. The guy had 11 blocks, 4 steals, and 30 total rebounds in the Final Four and Championship game.

Bledsoe scored 419 points his Freshman season, being the 4th option all year. He wasn't nearly what he is now, but to say he wasn't productive?

Bledsoe looks good when you completely ignore turnovers.

If only Kanter had been eligible the results in this thread would be different. Oddly, Brandon would probably not have been Calipari's top scorer at UK, but instead of losing 9 games and fading out to UCONN on Saturday we make it to the Monday game in April.

Still, the memories of Josh Harrelson and Deandre Liggins staring down Harrison Barnes at the foul line and saying the words to him "who's the little bitch now?" are just too great. Not sure I would change a damn thing. Good memories.

That team was awesome. Harrelson puttin it off Sullinger's noggin in the TOSU game was priceless. The NCAA tournament road the Cats went on that year was a murderer's row too

Pretty sure it was off his chest but yes that play was awesome and harrelson was such a surprise that year and how well he played and actually got drafted. That game is in my top 5 favorite during cals years here, I miss knight he progressed so fast and then became an assassin out on the court leading us to the final 4.

I'm going a little against the grain and not going with the ring bearers nor the best NBA talents and taking the best college tandem with the most balanced skill sets and who carried their teams the most and so I select Knight and Lamb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT