ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Nichols transferring

Memphis always makes up dumb stories for reasons a player leaves their program. Could it be that its just like the NBA scout are saying...nobody develops at Memphis.

Reactions: brianpoe
You make it sound like getting dumped by someone you're crazy about is some rare form of cancer that few people ever have to experience.

It sucks, but the rest of what you said sounds more like something you need/needed to resolve psychologically than something that is common to that situation. Being in the dumps for a few weeks or even months? Sure. Seriously entertaining suicide? That's a wiring thing.

Right? Of all the stressors my brothers-in-arms dealt with, contemplating committing suicide over a girl friend on your own base, not back home mind you, was never one of them. I hope he received help and got the hell out of the military asap.

That fragile mindset is definitely not the best for active duty service.

Coaches leave at any point. Kid should be allowed the same regardless of what the situation is. He probably just wants to be in the NBA and knows he will likely not make it at Memphis.

Reactions: brianpoe
How can anyone say that Pastner has been nothing but a disaster? He was given the keys to the Benz and ditched it.

You've got Pastner apologist that have refused to read between the lines from day one. They were still making excuses for him when he was 0-17 against top 25 teams. If you cannot see that Pastner is a complete failure in head coaching, then you either have an agenda or you really aren't paying close enough attention.

We won't be involved with Austin Nichols according to one of his old high school coaches that I work with and know. His father isn't a big Cal guy, and we never really had a shot to begin with. He might not be the best source for info, but thats his guess, and I assume he's know more than most. He said he would be shocked if he ended up at UK.

As far as the girl, that's NOT the only factor here and really doesnt even matter. Nichols father is a very smart man. He sees the writing on the wall. He doesnt want his son a part of that sinking ship and I don't blame him. I said when he committed to memphis, theres another mistake, and there will be another. For some reason, Memphis parents and handlers just can't stay away from allowing Memphis to sway them. Once they get into the system though, they want out.

Last edited:
This is true chad. Josh as a person is a great guy. Horrible coach and disciplinary figure. He doesn't know how to handle players. They don't respect him at all. his days are numbered in Memphis. I wouldn't be surprised if it's his last year if the Lawson brothers and co. Don't overachieve. Pastner losing the local golden boy will kill his,career at Memphis.

I've been out of town so I haven't heard anything concrete. But Austin and his family live right down the road from me . This local community puts him on a pedestal. I'm sure more will come out in the next few days. This will cause pastners demise. I'm not buying the girlfriend thing either. Austin has had girls around him since high school. He is the local golden boy of Memphis, kinda like Rex back in the day was for UK. That's how fans see him here. This is gonna get ugly for both sides

The girlfriend thing has already been debunked. Memphis always puts out fluff and fillers for their woes. That was nothing more than an excuse even though the breakup apparently is true. There was a ton of things he didn't like about his Memphis experience, the girlfriend thing was just a string helping to keep him here.

He's wanted out since last summer according to whom I'm speaking with. He's not the only one either, as there should be one more transfer to look out for before the year ends. If it's Goodwin, and I'm told it could be, then Pastner might not make it though the year. If ANYTHING happens with the Lawsons, at any point, he's done even quicker.

Right now the last few screaming voices in Pastners favor are trashing every single player than has ever left him. Every single transfer, all 13 in 6 years, are pure head cases. Never mind the common denominator here. I'd say 85% of the Memphis fan base has turned on him now. He's finished.

I think a lot of it is Pastner, but you also have to look at who these guys are and how they're coming to Memphis. When a big number of your "star" recruits are guys from the area who are steered toward the program, it's easy to see how they might not fit. They aren't really choosing to go there like traditional players might.

But apparently that's how the city operates, and it's not like Pastner, who seems to be a great young guy, has the experience or clout or personality to manage all of those "agreements." I don't think he's necessarily awful, but he's in the shark tank before he's even a good enough swimmer to take the floaties off.

I think a lot of it is Pastner, but you also have to look at who these guys are and how they're coming to Memphis. When a big number of your "star" recruits are guys from the area who are steered toward the program, it's easy to see how they might not fit. They aren't really choosing to go there like traditional players might.

But apparently that's how the city operates, and it's not like Pastner, who seems to be a great young guy, has the experience or clout or personality to manage all of those "agreements." I don't think he's necessarily awful, but he's in the shark tank before he's even a good enough swimmer to take the floaties off.

It's definitely a fair observation and overall pretty accurate imo. The only thing I would add, is he's just not a good head coach, and the inner city kids don't relate to the guy. A man that doesn't believe in cursing, screaming, and alcohol/soft drinks is not going to relate well with the inner city youth in this town. It was never going to work to begin with. Pastners built more for BYU than Memphis. It was a horrible hire from the start.

Personally, I like him, but he's not head coach material. I'm not sure he ever will be.

Last edited:

That's a good way of putting it. Especially your last line. You are right about all the Memphis kids. That's why Cal never took more than one or so. He didn't like dealing with all the other people involved so close to home

It's definitely a fair observation and overall pretty accurate imo. The only thing I would add, is he's just not a good head coach, and the inner city kids don't relate to the guy. A man that doesn't believe in cursing, screaming, and alcohol/soft drinks is not going to relate well with the inner city youth in this town. It was never going to work to begin with. Pastners built more for BYU than Memphis. It was a horrible hire from the start.

Personally, I like him, but he's not head coach material. I'm not sure he ever will be.

Pastner has won too many games at Memphis to call it a horrible hire. The problem is, coach cal won so much that memphis thinks they are better as a program than what they really are.

I hope that Nichols is the one M.Jones been talking about.
If it is Nichols so sorry Memphis.:cry:

What will really be funny is after Pastner leaves he comes back to be an assitant under Calipari again. Didn't he sign as witness in Caliapri's first contract?

He won't. How close was he to your Duke Blue Devils during his recruitment?
I followed his recruitment pretty closely. It's been awhile but I believe Duke technically made his top 3 but that Memphis was considered the heavy favorite, which is how it played out.

He averaged 3.4 blocks/game last year, top 5 in the country. We haven't had a rim protector in quite a while, would be interesting if there's mutual interest between him and the Duke staff.

Gary parish is in 92.9 reading off emails from Memphis to UT. Memphis has denied his transfer to UT. It's funny they said they were a future opponent. UT emailed back saying your coach won't play us no more. Lol

UK has reached out to him.
30eEul4.gif

I am only going by rivals ranking:

Will Barton 5stars
Joe jackson 5 stars
Jalen Kendrick 5 stars
Adonis Thomas 5 stars
Austin Nichols 5 stars

And then you add all of the 4 stars players that he got and he still couldn't win with all that talent in a bad conference.

Matt jones has been saying stuff about adding another for a while. Nichols situation just came out a few days ago

I followed his recruitment pretty closely. It's been awhile but I believe Duke technically made his top 3 but that Memphis was considered the heavy favorite, which is how it played out.

He averaged 3.4 blocks/game last year, top 5 in the country. We haven't had a rim protector in quite a while, would be interesting if there's mutual interest between him and the Duke staff.

Not sure Duke needs another big for 2016-17.

They will have Jeter and Obi back, plus seem to be a lock for Giles.

Looks like it would be a pretty crowded front court with those four, especially considering K prefers to play four perimeter players around one big.

Maybe it's me but I don't think anyone associated with UK would
Be contacting a Memphis player before anything was official. I don't think Cal would want anything to become a problem especially involving their best player. Memphis fans and people
Associated with Memphis would
Love nothing better

Maybe it's me but I don't think anyone associated with UK would
Be contacting a Memphis player before anything was official. I don't think Cal would want anything to become a problem especially involving their best player. Memphis fans and people
Associated with Memphis would
Love nothing better
Not how it works. The family likely put out feelers weeks ago when he was first considering transferring.

The kids from Memphis are just athletes, most didn't receive good coaching in High School and that continues when they choose to play at UM. All these kids have family and friends in their ears telling them they are the man. Look at UM's recruiting, they will get 3 shooting guards all relatively the same size and ranking, but there's only 40-50 minutes a game for those 3 players to share. If each one of those guys have been built up to be "the man" you see why it doesn't work out. It's not the players fault that the coach fills the roster with redundant pieces that can't coalesce into an actual team.

Pastner has no idea who to play and it seems like he tries to give everyone a chance but then you have no consistency with the lineups you are putting out there, which leads to poor team chemistry.

It's not easy managing a team where you have 10 players all near the same talent level.

Last edited:
Reactions: .S&C.
Lord, please allow me to walk around Memphis (certain parts only) wearing a Nichols UK jersey on, LOL! Wow....that would be the icing on the cake. Cal will officially rip whatever little bit of self respect and pride they have left and I'd love it. I feel like my lips are stuck firmly to cals ass the way I've had to defend him for the last 6 years in this town. This would be poetic to the fullest for me.

People are pissed so bad right now in Mtown at the thought of this. I've got a guy that I work with regularly and he won't even talk to me today. Usually we joke together, lol.

Cals a bad man. Haha. i hope his dad has seen the light and knows what Cals about now(if rumor I've heard is true anyway) I will say however, some people are overrating Nichols a bit. He's got some potential but he's not UK "starter" good yet. IMO. And yes I've watched him a gazillion times.

Last edited:
Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
I am only going by rivals ranking:

Will Barton 5stars - 2 year player, 2nd round pick. This was the one that started to make people question. Barton was a first year first round talent.
Joe jackson 5 stars - wanted to leave Memphis as a sophomore and junior. 4 years undrafted. Was talked into staying and did not enjoy his pastner experience.
Jalen Kendrick 5 stars - lol transfer
Adonis Thomas 5 stars - 2 year player, projected potential lottery out of high school, undrafted.
Austin Nichols 5 stars - Golden boy of Memphis thought to be 1 to 2 year player. - TRANSFER/junior

And then you add all of the 4 stars players that he got and he still couldn't win with all that talent in a bad conference.

I added to the list.

Pastner has won too many games at Memphis to call it a horrible hire. The problem is, coach cal won so much that memphis thinks they are better as a program than what they really are.

No, lol, you're still not getting it.

You need to do some unbiased research into Memphis and Josh Pastner and then form the opinion. Here's a hint: there's a reason EVERYBODY including Memphis brass, fans, outsiders, insiders, message boards, political commentators, Obama, Judge Joe Brown, and the late Paul Walker thinks he's in way over his head. There's a reason his own players trash him. There's a reason players transfer mid stream and don't even give him a phone call. There's a reason he's lost 2 of the last 3 five star studs out of his own city to transfer(it was nearly 3/3). There's a reason he's buying recruits now, and he couldn't recruit a national five star to save a life. There's a reason he's going to miss his second nit, N.I.T in a row. Theres a REASON FOR THESE THINGS.

And there's a reason he's going to be fired after this season.

What there's not a reason for, is you not seeing it. Let it be dude You were wrong. Just own it because you're not up on the situation and you never were. It's cool man. Time to let go and let God on this one bro.

Last edited:
Not surprising. Unless we hear anything about Ayton reclassifying the only decent bigs for 2016 are Maker, Azubuike and Bolden and I'm not sure where we stand with any of them. Gotta at least put out the feelers...

Don't know who it is but I believe Coach Cal is working on another big.

Coaches leave without permission how is that different?

Why does it have to be different and who said it was? Who prior to this comment even compared this situation to a coach leaving or indicated that it is ok for the coach but not the player?

Timing for the transfer is not the best for either party actually; player or school. Just as it would be poor timing for the school and the coach if a coach and school parted company at this time of the year if one or the other wanted to end their relationship. Stating that the timing is not good does not indicate any bias for one side or the other, it is what it is. To me it is merely stating the obvious, timing of the decision is bad for both parties. That said, if he wants to go you have to let him go.

Last edited:
No, lol, you're still not getting it.

You need to do some unbiased research into Memphis and Josh Pastner and then form the opinion. Here's a hint: there's a reason EVERYBODY including Memphis brass, fans, outsiders, insiders, message boards, political commentators, Obama, Judge Joe Brown, and the late Paul Walker thinks he's in way over his head. There's a reason his own players trash him. There's a reason players transfer mid stream and don't even give him a phone call. There's a reason he's lost 2 of the last 3 five star studs out of his own city to transfer(it was nearly 3/3). There's a reason he's buying recruits now, and he couldn't recruit a national five star to save a life. There's a reason he's going to miss his second nit, N.I.T in a row. Theres a REASON FOR THESE THINGS.

And there's a reason he's going to be fired after this season.

What there's not a reason for, is you not seeing it. Let it be dude You were wrong. Just own it because you're not up on the situation and you never were. It's cool man. Time to let go and let God on this one bro.

Josh Pastner is one of the top 10 winningest coaches over a first 6 year coaching stretch and has the most wins by a UM head coach in the their first 6 years for the history of the memphis basketball program. Those are the facts. Those are the results of the "unbiased" research. What you don't get is the fact that you are the bias one. Listing a bunch of people who think he is in over his head, which is a subjective thing, is by definition bias. You tell me I'm wrong, but wrong about what? All I ever said was he's not as bad as you say. He's not a hall of famer but he's also not a guy who never makes the big dance, can't recruit, can't put together 20 win seasons, and can't keep a program nationally relevant. Guys who can't do those things are in over their heads. Pastner's body of work doesn't put him in that category no matter how much you and others in memphis hate him.

Watching the Reds game and on the ticker at the bottom regarding NBA news, they have the Memphis Grizzlies signing Brendan Wright to a contract and giving Austin Nichols his unconditional release. [laughing]

Why does it have to be different and who said it was? Who prior to this comment even compared this situation to a coach leaving or indicated that it is ok for the coach but not the player?

Timing for the transfer is not the best for either party actually; player or school. Just as it would be poor timing for the school and the coach if a coach and school parted company at this time of the year if one or the other wanted to end their relationship. Stating that the timing is not good does not indicate any bias for one side or the other, it is what it is. To me it is merely stating the obvious, timing of the decision is bad for both parties. That said, if he wants to go you have to let him go.

Thack if you don't like a post grow up and ignore it. The kid has a right to leave whenever he wants, don't be a dick like Memphis and cry about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT