ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Nichols transferring

Jul 23, 2002
Talented big man leaving memphis,but they are denying his request.Pastner needs to let that young man move on with his life.

Pastner is the epitome of what it means to be scum of the earth.

Pastner shouldn't be doing it, but unless it's some kind of emergency type deal, the kid has to know he's doing a pretty bad thing to Pastner in requesting to transfer at this point in the year.

Pastner shouldn't be doing it, but unless it's some kind of emergency type deal, the kid has to know he's doing a pretty bad thing to Pastner in requesting to transfer at this point in the year.
Summer? You kidding?

Summer? You kidding?
Just about every decent replacement that would be eligible for this upcoming season is already signed to another college, and the ones that are available, Memphis probably hasn't even been recruiting since they had a full roster as far as I can tell. The Greek guy Kentucky was recruiting is the only post player left in the 247 top 50 that would even have the potential to be an adequate replacement for Nichols, and Memphis never even recruited him to begin with. And you quit on the team because you broke up with your girlfriend and now you want to leave when it will be borderline impossible to get an anywhere close to suitable replacement? That's garbage. It would be like mailing it in at work for a few months collecting a pay check then one day you tell your employer you have quit without giving any notice.

Reactions: eacsxt
Just about every decent replacement that would be eligible for this upcoming season is already signed to another college, and the ones that are available, Memphis probably hasn't even been recruiting since they had a full roster as far as I can tell. The Greek guy Kentucky was recruiting is the only post player left in the 247 top 50 that would even have the potential to be an adequate replacement for Nichols, and Memphis never even recruited him to begin with. And you quit on the team because you broke up with your girlfriend and now you want to leave when it will be borderline impossible to get an anywhere close to suitable replacement? That's garbage. It would be like mailing it in at work for a few months collecting a pay check then one day you tell your employer you have quit without giving any notice.
Disagree completely. Pastner lost 14 games there last year in a weak league and it will only get worse. I congratulate the kid for getting away from the mediocrity that is Memphis now. Btw this is Pastner's 7th transfer since last year. Run, Nichols, run.

Last edited:
Pastner is a great example of why you cannot just look at a wins loss Column and get the answer. The guy is so far in over his head it's crazy. And there's more here than that article.

People that aren't familiar with Memphis basketball don't realize it recruits top 25 talent by itself out of the city. There's no respect for pastner anymore, and that's why he's about to be ran out of town.Attendance is waaaayyyy down. Memphis usually averages around 15,000 or more. He's cut that by a third. Here's the transfer list in JUST one year.

Damien Wilson
Dominic McGee
Dominic Woodson
Kuran Iverson
Nick King
Pookie Powell
Austin Nichols

One year.

Pastner recruited 6 players in the class of 2013.
Markel Crawford is all that remains, and 5 have transferred.7th highest paid coach in Division 1. Not to mention Joe Jackson and some other prime city kids WANTED to leave. With Nichols leaving, that's the dagger as he was the "savior and city born star". Also remember, Nichols was going to probably get a draft pick next season. So leaving is the worst thing he could do for that. Pastner is THAT bad. Lol.

The Memphis program is exploding in front of everyone, and some still can't see it. Quite unbelievable that a few CUSA wins and a couple good recruiting classes are all some need for approval.

Last edited:
Watched Nichols play in HS and he was a very good and talented kid. I mentioned they UK should get involved. Unfortunately the people I talked to with his squad said he was deciding between UT and Memphis and was going with the city school instead.
I then got Into a nice heated exchange with a Memphis fan on this board after I posted a thread about him. I wish I could bring up that thread now with a big I told ya so so the Memphis St dumbass. Knew he would never last at Memphis.

I read the article on the major life crises this kid is going through and thinking to myself, "I wonder if Cal is interested."

Am I am bad person?

This kid seems to have some issues we wouldn't like on a UK team that stresses being unselfish and unity. I can kind of see why the cheer leader kicked him to the curb.

Little doubt, however, that Pastner and Memphis have problems.

Summer? You kidding?

It's early July, kid should have got out a long time ago. I think the school should let him go but waiting until this late puts the program in a bad spot.

Also that article sounds like a big sob story. I doubt the kid is that bad off.

people ragging on pastner now....at some point he probably will get fired...but it wouldnt be all that shocking for Cal to reach out and get him a job at UK.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat

You're as thin skinned as Memphis. Get over it, the kid wants to go somewhere else. You do know that he has that right.

people ragging on pastner now....at some point he probably will get fired...but it wouldnt be all that shocking for Cal to reach out and get him a job at UK.

But it wouldn't be for the HC job, no one said that he was a bad recruiter.

Umm, he's widely known as a great guy.

This is true chad. Josh as a person is a great guy. Horrible coach and disciplinary figure. He doesn't know how to handle players. They don't respect him at all. his days are numbered in Memphis. I wouldn't be surprised if it's his last year if the Lawson brothers and co. Don't overachieve. Pastner losing the local golden boy will kill his,career at Memphis.

I've been out of town so I haven't heard anything concrete. But Austin and his family live right down the road from me . This local community puts him on a pedestal. I'm sure more will come out in the next few days. This will cause pastners demise. I'm not buying the girlfriend thing either. Austin has had girls around him since high school. He is the local golden boy of Memphis, kinda like Rex back in the day was for UK. That's how fans see him here. This is gonna get ugly for both sides

This is true chad. Josh as a person is a great guy. Horrible coach and disciplinary figure. He doesn't know how to handle players. They don't respect him at all. his days are numbered in Memphis. I wouldn't be surprised if it's his last year if the Lawson brothers and co. Don't overachieve. Pastner losing the local golden boy will kill his,career at Memphis.

I've been out of town so I haven't heard anything concrete. But Austin and his family live right down the road from me . This local community puts him on a pedestal. I'm sure more will come out in the next few days. This will cause pastners demise. I'm not buying the girlfriend thing either. Austin has had girls around him since high school. He is the local golden boy of Memphis, kinda like Rex back in the day was for UK. That's how fans see him here. This is gonna get ugly for both sides

Never said he was a good coach, just that calling him "scum of the earth" goes against everything I've ever heard about the guy.

I don't think Calipari and pastner are buddy buddy like that. Pastner was only on his staff for a short period of time. Pastner and Lawson have negative recruited against Cal just as recent as Skal.

This kid seems to have some issues we wouldn't like on a UK team that stresses being unselfish and unity. I can kind of see why the cheer leader kicked him to the curb.

Little doubt, however, that Pastner and Memphis have problems.

An insensitive post by a person that has never loved someone deeply and lost them. I understand the situation somewhat having gone through a similar situation while in the USAF. I loved a girl deeply, it didn't work out, and the situation was compounded by the fact that we had to have contact every day. I was so stressed that I had to request and receive a compassionate transfer. The USAF was very understanding and it made it much easier for me to get through this experience. Out of sight helped get her out of mind.

The poster that mentioned suicide wasn't far off as I admit that the thought did enter my mind and I saw others that did commit suicide in the same type situation. I am eternally grateful that the USAF understood the situation and wasn't an insensitive lout like you.

Why do we attack each other on here so much? people post about a kid and a coach that have nothing to do with UK and if someone doesn't agree they attack the other. Why can't we just disagree and post what we think. No harm no foul. Also some get so off topic that the thread takes a turn and goes downhill.

......back to Pastner. Like Calipari says " he can't hide you here" or UK is not for everyone. I think Pastner would fall into this as well. I know he was coming to UK in the beginning but got the call to interview and coach at Memphis. But after 6 years I don't think his personality would fit in what Cal has created. Also these kids talk. Pastner has lost his grip on reciting outside of Memphis and now it seems Memphis too. The Lawson brothers were his lifeline. Then he lost Skal which everyone thought was a lock. Now he is losing the golden boy when the kid is up for conference player of the year. It doesn't look good for Pastner.

This sums it up well.
NBADraft.net‏@nbadraftnet 13h13 hours ago

NBADraft.net retweeted Tony Vita
Austin Nichols is a borderline 1st rounder & this was a great decision. No one has developed at Memphis recently.

I thought he was a Duke boy before he committed to M-Town. He looks just like a Dookie so I think that's where he ends up.

Now, back to Nichols...

Does anybody know if UK is interested in him?

I know Cal doesn't usually have many guys transfer in, but this is a kid trying to get to the NBA in one year and Cal has an open scholarship spot. It's not like he is a project or anything.

Just wondering.

It sounds like a sad situation for both the school and the young man. I hope both sides can come to a decision soon.

If they cut him loose Jason where do you think he ends up ? UT or some other school ?

interesting that dude would give up an NBA payday and quit basketball because a cheerleader dumped him and he doesn't want to see her at the games. Dude I am sure there are 3-4 of her jersey chasing teammates that would be more than happy to console you. Sack up and get over it. Not trying to be overly insensitive, Who am i kidding, yes I am. Dude you are in your early 20's. Don't ruin your life over one girl.

Reactions: BigKari
interesting that dude would give up an NBA payday and quit basketball because a cheerleader dumped him and he doesn't want to see her at the games. Dude I am sure there are 3-4 of her jersey chasing teammates that would be more than happy to console you. Sack up and get over it. Not trying to be overly insensitive, Who am i kidding, yes I am. Dude you are in your early 20's. Don't ruin your life over one girl.
I think locals are grabbing straws. He has had girls all over him since high school. Remember the mini celebrity Rex was outta HS and in college. Austin is the same way. Doubt it over a girl

I think locals are grabbing straws. He has had girls all over him since high school. Remember the mini celebrity Rex was outta HS and in college. Austin is the same way. Doubt it over a girl

You could be right but just because girls are chasing him doesn't mean that he didn't settle on one. Are you guys too young or too old to know/remember what it was like to fall in love with Miss Perfect and feel like she was EVERYTHING?

BTW, consider the fact that a breakup could send someone into depression and lead to suicide, murder, vandalism, etc. To me, that makes it believable.

I say pastners days are numbered 2 top 25 wins in six years. One tourney win. Multiple,transfers and losing the hometown hero.

You could be right but just because girls are chasing him doesn't mean that he didn't settle on one. Are you guys too young or too old to know/remember what it was like to fall in love with Miss Perfect and feel like she was EVERYTHING?

BTW, consider the fact that a breakup could send someone into depression and lead to suicide, murder, vandalism, etc. To me, that makes it believable.
I get what you are saying but the writing is on the wall. Look how many out of that class and in recent years have left the program. I seriously doubt this is over a girl.

You're as thin skinned as Memphis. Get over it, the kid wants to go somewhere else. You do know that he has that right.
LOL how clueless you are about me, and good to know you lack reading comprehension. I said Pastner shouldn't be doing what he's doing. I'm simply stating facts. The way he handled the situation, and the timing at which he finally made a decision, is beyond poor.

LOL how clueless you are about me, and good to know you lack reading comprehension. I said Pastner shouldn't be doing what he's doing. I'm simply stating facts. The way he handled the situation, and the timing at which he finally made a decision, is beyond poor.

Coaches leave without permission how is that different?

An insensitive post by a person that has never loved someone deeply and lost them. I understand the situation somewhat having gone through a similar situation while in the USAF. I loved a girl deeply, it didn't work out, and the situation was compounded by the fact that we had to have contact every day. I was so stressed that I had to request and receive a compassionate transfer. The USAF was very understanding and it made it much easier for me to get through this experience. Out of sight helped get her out of mind.

The poster that mentioned suicide wasn't far off as I admit that the thought did enter my mind and I saw others that did commit suicide in the same type situation. I am eternally grateful that the USAF understood the situation and wasn't an insensitive lout like you.
You make it sound like getting dumped by someone you're crazy about is some rare form of cancer that few people ever have to experience.

It sucks, but the rest of what you said sounds more like something you need/needed to resolve psychologically than something that is common to that situation. Being in the dumps for a few weeks or even months? Sure. Seriously entertaining suicide? That's a wiring thing.

So, getting back to the basketball impact of the transfer...

Is this someone UK would be interested in? At Duke, if Austin can play the 5, I'd think he plug a big hole we have in our 2016 lineup. A 4th-year junior with 1st-round talent would probably be better than anybody we could recruit in the 2016 class that plays the 5.

Welcome to the ignore list. If you can't actually read and comprehend anything I say then it's pointless to even converse with you on here.

Please be my guest, I still think the kid has a right to transfer when he feels like it. Oh sorry you can't read this I'm on ignore, I feel so empty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT