ADVERTISEMENT

Askew leaving UK

Cal should’ve set the tone early and moved mintz to pg after the Richmond game and let askew know he’s a role player.

cals stubbornness led to a bad situation for devin. With that said you just can’t have the yips at Kentucky like askew did. Where the hell have all the Eric Bledsoe’s gone?

If Kentucky is counting on Devin Askew to be the starting point guard at any point in the future, it'll mean Cal's recruiting really has cratered.

Hell, the Cats are looking at DJ Wagner for 2023. Even if that doesn't happen, a sophomore or junior Hickman would be a better option. He's clearly got more overall potential than Askew.
Look, I'm not devastated this happened. I'm just saying it doesn't ALWAYS have to be about next year. There was a time college lasted 4 years. Some guys stayed those years and didn't contribute until their junior or senior years. We could use some of those guys.

I’ve been and will continue to support Cal but this system is broken. It’s not just broken for us but it’s impossible to recruit kids that are 5 stars and expect them to then be ok with coming back for a sophomore year. In their minds they weren’t good enough to do it and the response 90% of the time is transfer out. Sad.
I've been on Cal for his system. But if there isn't going to be any penalty for transferring, this will no longer be singularly a Cal system failure. I don't think I'd ever bother to spend time recruiting a high schooler again, unless it's an AD talent, and they aren't coming to college anymore.

well add another to the "we only lost 'X' many guys"! list
Means Cal is going to add a top notch point guard. People on this board have complained all year about Askew. You should be happy but I am sure you will find some reason to complain. Go Cal and get the players we need.

Reactions: OmahaCats
Means Cal is going to add a top notch point guard. People on this board have complained all year about Askew. You should be happy but I am sure you will find some reason to complain. Go Cal and get the players we need.
Read my posts. All I've said is I would have liked him to have stayed, could really be a contributor by his junior or senior years. If that's complaining, then, well, okay then.

The wishing of Mintz to return is starting to sound like Sarr being a must have and the NCAA is against making him eligible.

I've seen enough of last year's roster being okay with all of them moving on. The ones that are considering returning are looking to get major minutes, so I'm not excited about any of the key players returning. Cal may only have Allen coming back which would was not what anyone predicted.
If you aren’t excited about Mintz returning, you are ignorant in regards to basketball.

Are you comparing ulis abs askew?
Just a joke, brother. We had people in an Askew thread that got bumped the other day calling him a "taller Ulis." We've also had people referring to Hickman as the same thing recently. It's a popular go to for the rah rahs.

Didn’t he say he was “Different from other west coast guys” and he would stick it out?!
Why stick it out when all you hear is negative talk on this board? Cal has decided to hit the transfer portal and upgrade. You should be happy.

I'm assuming he sees the writing on the wall. This means there is 100% a transfer PG coming in, and/or, Mintz coming back.

Can see him heading back West to team up with Juzang at UCLA.
He will never play over Tyger Campbell, maybe Loyola Marymount has a need for a backup PG.

LOL at the people in this thread who spent six months wishing Askew were not on Kentucky's roster, but are now "inconsolable" that he is leaving.

FIFY. Like I've said, some here playing contrarian out of spite. Excited to stick it to fans they don't agree with and Cal, at expense of the team.

I do wish Askew would have stayed.. but in reality he played SO bad, that I'm not sure if we can risk him being our sophomore PG. Maybe he steps it up? I think it's possible.. but he could totally derail what appears to be a solid 2-5 roster. We REALLLY need a competent PG next year, not a project.

Reactions: kl40504
Watch he will transfer to UCLA or Gonzaga.
Those two would be at the top of my list if I was a west coast kid looking for a better system fit closer to home. Maybe add USC to that but they tend to lean more to the “athlete” side as well from what I recall. Maybe Arizona.

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT