ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona lost to #190 in the NET Oregon State

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
Another top team, another terrible loss.

I still have hope we can make a jump in our seeding.

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
Whole lot of meh this year. Uconn and Purdue have started to separate themselves but I wouldn’t call either a juggernaut exactly. Auburn and UNC are both playing really well but Auburn still doesn’t have a single quad 1 win and UNC is beating up on a very down ACC.

Houston still looks really strong too.

If i had to say right now…i’ll say the title winner will probably come from 1 of Purdue, Uconn, Houston, Auburn.

I’m not ready to put any money on Hubert Davis and in their last game against an actual legit title threat(Uconn) they looked completely outclassed. They didn’t impress me against us either. We were able to get mismatches whenever we wanted against them late in the game.

When are we going to stop doing this?

How much does their coach make?

Is Arizona a blue blood?

Does their state live and breathe basketball?

the amount of schools that Kentucky is comparable to is less than 5, and Arizona isn’t one of them.

Pointing out that another ranked team lost to an unranked team doesn’t help the fact that UK underachieves just about every season.

Phew! So glad these teams keep losing. Makes me see the bigger picture and see that although our defense is about 55 positional spots lower than the worst championship statistical defense on record, we still have a chance to make the Final Four.

2bu.gif

Last edited:

Is Arizona a blue blood?

the amount of schools that Kentucky is comparable to is less than 5, and Arizona isn’t one of them.

Pointing out that another ranked team lost to an unranked team doesn’t help the fact that UK underachieves just about every season.
I wasn’t saying a single Arizona loss in January of 2024 means anything about Calipari.

Everyone is losing on the road. We can still finish strong and have a very good seed. No one is drastically above the fielf.

Is Arizona a blue blood?

Every year now it seems like the same posts pointing out how some other ranked team lost so subtle implying that makes it ok for us. Sorry no.

Phew! So glad these teams keep losing. Makes me see the bigger picture and see that although our defense is about 55 positional spots lower than the worst championship statistical defense on record, we still have a chance to make the Final Four.

2bu.gif
Well then it's a good thing the tournament doesn't start tomorrow and we have almost half a season to improve the defense.

Nothing in this thread was a defense of Cal. It's just pointing out how crazy the season has been, how one game doesn't define a season, and that we're still in the running for a 1 seed.

Every year now it seems like the same posts pointing out how some other ranked team lost so subtle implying that makes it ok for us. Sorry no.
You’re right man. Kentucky on the Jersey means we should never ever lose. 40-0 every season. If any other coach had Kentucky jerseys, they would never lose.

We’re the only top program that loses games.

Is Arizona a blue blood?

I think it’s more pointing out the fact that Kentucky still has a chance at a good seed in the tournament

Whole lot of meh this year. Uconn and Purdue have started to separate themselves but I wouldn’t call either a juggernaut exactly. Auburn and UNC are both playing really well but Auburn still doesn’t have a single quad 1 win and UNC is beating up on a very down ACC.

Houston still looks really strong too.

If i had to say right now…i’ll say the title winner will probably come from 1 of Purdue, Uconn, Houston, Auburn.

I’m not ready to put any money on Hubert Davis and in their last game against an actual legit title threat(Uconn) they looked completely outclassed. They didn’t impress me against us either. We were able to get mismatches whenever we wanted against them late in the game.
Rothstein said the one team we don't want to face is Houston just given their defensive intensity. He's probably right.

The top 10 has a winning percentage of 40% on the road this season. As of earlier this week. 4 of the 10 lost on the road this.

NIL, Free Agency, 5 and 6 year super seniors has created a lot of parity this year.

Is Arizona a blue blood?

Can we look at the bad losses of those 5 teams? Or is that against your stupid rules too?

Reactions: shodaman
It’s how we lost that creates doubt, not just that we lost.
And im sure each reasonable fanbase with terrible losses say the exact same thing.

Put our CATS on a neutral floor with anyone in the country and all of us here will take our chances. And there is still almost 2 months to grow as a young team.

Lets get behind this bunch and go get a FF banner.

Saw on Twitter yesterday that there have already been more losses by top 10 teams this season than there was in any of the last 8 full seasons. No great teams and a lot of parity this season.

Reactions: gojvc
Saw on Twitter yesterday that there have already been more losses by top 10 teams this season than there was in any of the last 8 full seasons. No great teams and a lot of parity this season.

All that means is that college basketball is down AF. Which makes it all the more disappointing that Cal, with a roster that should be dominating, is instead underachieving as he’s done for the better part of a decade now.

I could care less what other teams or “blue bloods” do or lose to, when uk loses the way we did at the chicken coop then that doesn’t sit right with me. Of course there’s alot of over reaction but there’s also healthy debate as well, everyone is going to lose games but the manner in which we did on Tuesday is where I have the problem.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I could care less what other teams or “blue bloods” do or lose to, when uk loses the way we did at the chicken coop then that doesn’t sit right with me. Of course there’s alot of over reaction but there’s also healthy debate as well, everyone is going to lose games but the manner in which we did on Tuesday is where I have the problem.
We did the same to KU at Allen Fieldhouse a couple of years ago and they won the championship while we flamed out against St. Peters. Odd things happen in competition sometimes.

Reactions: Cats192
The top 10 has a winning percentage of 40% on the road this season. As of earlier this week. 4 of the 10 lost on the road this.

NIL, Free Agency, 5 and 6 year super seniors has created a lot of parity this year.
No excuses.

Kansas can lose. Kentucky should never lose.

Cal loses to a now 16-3 team and the season is an abject failure. We should fire him and see if Tommy Lloyd will come over. Lloyd lost to a 10-9 Oregon State team.

But if Lloyd came here, he could pull the magic out of the Kentucky uniforms and we would never lose again.

/End Sarcasm

No excuses.

Kansas can lose. Kentucky should never lose.

Cal loses to a now 16-3 team and the season is an abject failure. We should fire him and see if Tommy Lloyd will come over. Lloyd lost to a 10-9 Oregon State team.

But if Lloyd came here, he could pull the magic out of the Kentucky uniforms and we would never lose again.

/End Sarcasm
I've said a million times here that if people became a fan of another team for a year they'd realize nothing they complain about with Cal is unique. They complain about things because they're intimately familiar with every single tiny move Cal makes.

Go look at what Arizona fans are complaining about today.

• They're complaining about the team's lack of effort and how Lloyd didn't get them ready to play. Sound familiar?
  • They're complaining about the team's awful perimeter defense. Sound familiar?
  • They're complaining about how every game a random guy has a career night and their coaches can't do anything to stop him. Sound familiar?
  • They're complaining about how Lloyd has started Boswell all year despite him not playing well or earning his minutes. Sound familiar?

Pay attention to another team all year long and you'll hear all the same complaints you hear on this board that people pretend are only Cal problems.

We did the same to KU at Allen Fieldhouse a couple of years ago and they won the championship while we flamed out against St. Peters. Odd things happen in competition sometimes.

To be fair, they were missing their point guard transfer from Arizona State (can’t recall his name) who wound up being big for them in the tournament. Bill Self’s father had also passed away a few days prior.

Not that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy that ass whipping and filling the phog with chants of “go big blue!”. Just saying people tend to gloss over those two very significant facts.

I'm not saying the South Carolina showing was "acceptable." We didn't show up for the 2nd half. We have to do better. I've gone through anger and annoyance at that game.

But South Carolina is a lot better than Oregon State. Arizona lost to a bad team. Kansas lost to a bad team (WVU 157 in the NET).

Whether we want to accept it or not, there IS more parity in college basketball. The days of just winning because the jersey says Kentucky are gone. It doesn't matter who the coach is. Bill Self lost a bad game. Tommy Lloyd lost a bad game. UNC is doing awesome. They had 11 losses and missed the tournament last year. Hubert clearly isn't above losses.

I'm not even saying this in defense of Cal. Cal has a lot of flaws and things we can criticize him over. But the idea that Kentucky should never lose ever is absurd.

It’s clear UConn Purdue and UNC are a lot better than everybody else as of right now. But posting these other team losses doesn’t help when Kentucky will do the same thing in pretty much every road game they play this year barring vandy, which isn’t a given win either

I'm not saying the South Carolina showing was "acceptable." We didn't show up for the 2nd half. We have to do better. I've gone through anger and annoyance at that game.

But South Carolina is a lot better than Oregon State. Arizona lost to a bad team. Kansas lost to a bad team (WVU 157 in the NET).

Whether we want to accept it or not, there IS more parity in college basketball. The days of just winning because the jersey says Kentucky are gone. It doesn't matter who the coach is. Bill Self lost a bad game. Tommy Lloyd lost a bad game. UNC is doing awesome. They had 11 losses and missed the tournament last year. Hubert clearly isn't above losses.

I'm not even saying this in defense of Cal. Cal has a lot of flaws and things we can criticize him over. But the idea that Kentucky should never lose ever is absurd.

For the umpteenth time… who is saying we should never lose??? You are creating a total straw man. Yes of course that’s absurd. The problem with your logic is that nobody is saying that.

A roster this stacked should never be dominated by a team full of of 3-star talent. I don’t care if it’s a road game. I don’t care if they are all seniors. We got DOMINATED… wasn’t merely a loss. And that’s on Cal and his staff and nobody else.

The same way that constantly giving up unguarded layups on inbounds plays is on Cal and the staff due to stubborn refusal not to zone in those situations.

The same way that giving up wide open threes because our guards leave their man to help a 7-footer in the paint is on Cal and the staff.

The same way that having Justin Edwards take a higher percentage of the team’s FGA’s than Trey Mitchell and Reed Sheppard is on Cal and the staff. It’s shear lunacy.

To be fair, they were missing their point guard transfer from Arizona State (can’t recall his name) who wound up being big for them in the tournament. Bill Self’s father had also passed away a few days prior.

Not that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy that ass whipping and filling the phog with chants of “go big blue!”. Just saying people tend to gloss over those two very significant facts.
I'm assuming you're talking about Remy Martin, but he played that game. 14 minutes and had 5 points. We just outplayed them.

We were without Adou against USC and he is easily our toughest player and possibly best defender. I'm sure someone connected to someone on the team died within a few days of the game as well.

What else you got?

Reactions: Cats192
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT