ADVERTISEMENT

And yet…

But at this point they are what they are. Every team has their main guys and then the secondary guys. So what if Rob and Reed are what everyone thought Dj and Edwards were going to be? Maybe the roles are flipped but overall the same outcome. Our bucket getters are Reed, Rob, and Antonio. I even like adou and Mitchell over Edwards and Dj.
Having Edwards and Wagner as the 6/7 men is a great luxury to have.

But at this point they are what they are. Every team has their main guys and then the secondary guys. So what if Rob and Reed are what everyone thought Dj and Edwards were going to be? Maybe the roles are flipped but overall the same outcome. Our bucket getters are Reed, Rob, and Antonio. I even like adou and Mitchell over Edwards and Dj.
Wagner and Edwards are not they are what they are, they are freshman who will grow as the season goes on. I get wanting more form them but it’s been 4 games, they will get better as the season goes on or should

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
I totally agree with this. This could mean we have a special season if they buy in.
I don’t understand why every game we have a thread of why didn’t Wagner or Edwards have 20? Well for one we would need to score 120 a game for that to happen always. Some guys will lead the team different nights. Wagner made progress tonight, So did Edwards second half. When they get consistent this team is gonna be scary. Reed is obviously one of the best if not best player we have. So valuable and consistent. Reeves and Mitchell will get theirs. Thiero is being a man, them 2 and even Burks is playing well. When we get some big men this team will be legit good. I love this team and it’s the most fun I’ve had watching us play since 2020 easy. Maybe since 2017.

When you watch the games a few things are obvious. Wagner is always in the right place and makes good decisions. And he guards.

Mitchell is a really good passer.

Dillingham is very court aware.
In the first half Wagner, in the space of 30 seconds, airballed a three, turned the ball over, and committed a shooting foul.

“BuT iT dOeSn’T mAtTeR wHo StArTs”. It absolutely does. Basketball is a game of runs. A stale start can decide the game. You want your best players on the floor at the beginning of a game and beginning of the 2nd half. And all the “BuT tHeY hAd TwO fOuLs In ThE 1st hAlF” against Kansas folks, that way of thinking doesn’t make any sense for guys who come off the bench and play 16 minutes total.

He played them some together tonight. It’s fine. Clearly Cal has seen and knows Reed is good enough and has earned the opportunity to have minutes.

I admit, well, I’m harsh on Cal. There were other players I just didn’t feel he gave a fair chance. So far he is rewarding Reed for his effort and his play. In the second half when the starters weren’t cutting it he got Reed and Rob in quick. Hell, he even gave up and called a timeout just to do it. That’s a good sign.

Reactions: grevey35
3-Porter-Wagoner-1985.jpg
That was funny sir!!!

Reactions: wildcat_bigd
He played them some together tonight. It’s fine. Clearly Cal has seen and knows Reed is good enough and has earned the opportunity to have minutes.

I admit, well, I’m harsh on Cal. There were other players I just didn’t feel he gave a fair chance. So far he is rewarding Reed for his effort and his play. In the second half when the starters weren’t cutting it he got Reed and Rob in quick. Hell, he even gave up and called a timeout just to do it. That’s a good sign.
I have being riding Cal for the last 3 years. But, I cannot complain how he has being using players thus far this year. I think it has been fair. I will add that I wish he could work Joey Hart in a few more minutes because he is a shooter and may be needed down the line. I'm afraid he will transfer. He will be a star in a couple of years somewhere.

Last edited:
Do you even Kansas?!

Cal rode Wagner and Edwards into the ground and by the time Reed got back in the lead was gone.
Got a PHD but can’t figure out what happens when you get into foul trouble. LOL at these clueless frauds. Maybe stop bragging about your fake PHD and use some common sense.

Reactions: Woodsmoke
Even after a win, the debbie downers can't help themselves. Sort of feel sorry for them
Plus, I'm not sure they watch the games...
Reed 26mins
DJ 26mins

Justin 22mins
Rob 23mins
Jordan 15mins

It seems like Reed got his share of the minutes. He will continue to get minutes...nothing to worry about, naysayers.

Reactions: Cats192
No matter how well Reed plays we know Cal will ride AND die with Wagner no matter the cost.
So you are proposing to ride and die with Reed and not develop a potentially good talent no matter the cost. U6, IU TN, The Filth, Puke, and Convict U all agree with you. You have a majority I guess.

I really don't get the narrative that Cal is slighting Reed to benefit Wagner. Both kids played 26 minutes. We're 4 games into the season, and Reed is getting the same minutes as DJ.

It's one thing to say "Why didn't Reed get more minutes vs Kansas?" But then Cal gave him more minutes the very next game. It's not like Cal is completely failing to acknowledge Reed. I would guess if DJ isn't playing better over the next few weeks, Reed will take even more of his minutes.

I think a lot of people still cling to the false notion that Dontaie Allen should have played more. I think people see Reed as an extension of that. But Dontaie Allen wasn't good. Reed is.

Cal has given some guys too much leash in the past. But he's also benched 5 stars. Khalil Whitney left when he was sent to the bench. Quade Green lost his starting PG spot to a 4 star SGA. Derek Willis played over Gabriel and Sacha Kileya Jones.

I also think it's important to remember, we're 4 games in. We don't 100% know what Wagner is. We don't 100% know what Reed is. I'm confident Wagner is better than he's played. I'm certain Reed isn't actually a 70% 3 point shooter.

Some of you speak with such certainty that Wagner isn't as good as we thought. But, it's 4 games. Kids can start slow and still figure it out. He hasn't been terrible outside of the Kansas game. If the only game that "counts" is the Kansas game, then can we really decided a kid is so bad after 1 game? I mean c'mon.

Reactions: OmahaCats
How about starting Sheppard and Dillingham and let Wagner and Edwards be the spark off the bench. We might not get into a hole to start nearly every game.
I'm not necessarily opposed to it. I don't really care who starts. I'm going to be just as happy when we win if DJ starts, Reed starts, or Darbyshire starts.

But I think that things are going well. I don't know that I'm mad at Calipari for not changing things 4 games into the season when things have gone well. I actually think most college coaches wouldn't bench their 5 star point guard 4 games into the season.

Now if we get to January and the kid is struggling, by all means, it's time. But I think November and December are "figure it out" season.

Cats Illustrated forums is a cesspool of miserable people. Between the basketball fans that feel entitled and the football fans who want to fire a coach who’s done more for UK football than any other coach in its history.
It’s a shame since this use to be a nice forum to visit with fans to discuss the game or history of UK basketball, well those days are long gone.

If you think Sheppard 2nd foul was actually a foul and he should have been smarter then I have bad news for you. lol
Ref called it a foul so it has to be treated as one. At that point if a foul had actually been committed was pretty much whinny and irrelevant. Team has to react according to the books.

Ref called it a foul so it has to be treated as one. At that point if a foul had actually been committed was pretty much whinny and irrelevant. Team has to react according to the books.
And having a sit with two fouls in the 1st half rule for guys who come off the bench that end up with 16 minutes total is inept coaching. It would have been different if he planned to start them or roll with them most of the second half but he didn’t. And it help cost us the game.

Cats Illustrated forums is a cesspool of miserable people. Between the basketball fans that feel entitled and the football fans who want to fire a coach who’s done more for UK football than any other coach in its history.
It’s a shame since this use to be a nice forum to visit with fans to discuss the game or history of UK basketball, well those days are long gone.
Are you aware that Stoops has 6 wins this year, all against teams with a LOSING RECORD?

I’ve been on this forum for 20 years and it’s no different than it’s ever been. If anything, it’s more tame.

And having a sit with two fouls in the 1st half rule for guys who come off the bench that end up with 16 minutes total is inept coaching. It would have been different if he planned to start them or roll with them most of the second half but he didn’t. And it help cost us the game.
So vast majority of coaches are inept then you are saying? This has been hashed over and over and over and over and over for decades Third foul is first half is debilitating for a coach and player. Majority of coaches sit the player. Some idiot coaches don’t. It kinda like going for it on 4th and long in the first half while you are still 60 yards from the goal line. Looks good if it works.

It may make sense to you if you think basketball is just scoring and shooting percentage. But to someone that understands the game, 3 fouls in first half is suicidal and mismanagement.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
This! Cal even said it in the postgame presser that the game completely changed when Reed and Rob came in the game. Dudes were absolutely IMPRESSIVE! Hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3. Was beautiful basketball!

So vast majority of coaches are inept then you are saying? This has been hashed over and over and over and over and over for decades Third foul is first half is debilitating for a coach and player. Majority of coaches sit the player. Some idiot coaches don’t. It kinda like going for it on 4th and long in the first half while you are still 60 yards from the goal line. Looks good if it works.

It may make sense to you if you think basketball is just scoring and shooting percentage. But to someone that understands the game, 3 fouls in first half is suicidal and mismanagement.
Yeah mismanagement if it’s someone who averages 35 mins per game. Rarely do they set guys that come off the bench for it. They save their starters because that’s who’s usually best & plays the most minutes. How many minutes total did they get again in that game? Mismanagement…lol.

This! Cal even said it in the postgame presser that the game completely changed when Reed and Rob came in the game. Dudes were absolutely IMPRESSIVE! Hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3. Was beautiful basketball!
You know, just hit 4 in a row & assist on a 5th then get taken out when the other team calls timeout. smh.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yeah mismanagement if it’s someone who averages 35 mins per game. Rarely do they set guys that come off the bench for it. They save their starters because that’s who’s usually best & plays the most minutes. How many minutes total did they get again in that game? Mismanagement…lol.
You are probably worth 10 to 15 million a year as a division 1 head coach then. You just up ended the conventional wisdom followed by decades of head coaches. Before now, only bitter little guys pushed getting three fouls when their boy got yanked for committing two.

By the way, only 4 games in. Nobody averages 35 mins game. Just sayin.

• Haha
Maybe you should stop pumping sunshine and realize that the truth hurts sometimes but needs to be said.

We’re paying these coaches 9 million a year to be mediocre? Forget that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT