ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Analytics Love

Apr 14, 2016
I’m a proponent of Net rankings, but Alabama baffles me.

How is it 6th when its 9-5 and 0-5 against quad 1 teams. I get its played the toughest schedule in country, but you have to beat some of those teams… I fear we’ve moved to the other extreme wherein you can “game” the system by scheduling an OOC gauntlet.

How is it 6th when its 9-5 and 0-5 against quad 1 teams. I get its played the toughest schedule in country, but you have to beat some of those teams… I fear we’ve moved to the other extreme wherein you can “game” the system by scheduling an OOC gauntlet.
The formula definitely needs a tweaking. No way should they be anywhere near top 10 in the NET. Personally, I think the NET is garbage.

What’s hurting us in the NET is that UNCW continues to take a nosedive. They’ve lost three straight games and with losses to the likes of Towson, Appalachian State, Drexel and ECU.

Our bad loss keeps getting even worse, which is offsetting good wins like yesterday’s. Kinda reminiscent of when Evansville screwed us by taking that horrific nosedive right after beating us a few years ago.

What’s hurting us in the NET is that UNCW continues to take a nosedive. They’ve lost three straight games and with losses to the likes of Towson, Appalachian State, Drexel and ECU.

Our bad loss keeps getting even worse, which is offsetting good wins like yesterday’s. Kinda reminiscent of when Evansville screwed us by taking that horrific nosedive right after beating us a few years ago.
We didn't have DJ for that game, right? At least we have a bit of an excuse but the committee will do us no favors vs. when they were giving Duke lots of grace when Coach K had issues years ago.

We didn't have DJ for that game, right? At least we have a bit of an excuse but the committee will do us no favors vs. when they were giving Duke lots of grace when Coach K had issues years ago.

Injuries won't matter to the committee.. but they matter when you're "truly" trying to asses how good a team is.

When a team doesn't have it's starting PG in the early goings (and without any bigs), then you really open the doors for an upset. I think we all know THAT wasn't the Kentucky team we have today. And that's all that matters to me. Sure, it might mean we go from say a 2-seed to a 3-seed when it's all said and done.. but in my head, I know we are good enough to be on par with the other 2-seeds.

It's an absolute joke. I guess they have cracked the code on this. Play a really hard schedule and don't worry about winning ANY of them. Just beat all the mediocre teams and you're golden.

It's an absolute joke. I guess they have cracked the code on this. Play a really hard schedule and don't worry about winning ANY of them. Just beat all the mediocre teams and you're golden.

It really seems that every year Kentucky figures out what to do here.. the NCAA switches it up a bit. Seems like we're always chasing the new formula and every time we find it, then it's no longer what's needed, and then it hurts us.

We were sort of told that we played TOO easy of cupcakes the last few years. So what do we do? We shed a few of those, and replace them with teams in the 175-100 range, ALONG with 4-5 ranked teams OOC.

And yet, that doesn't seem to do us any favors. We seem to be paying for the sins of scheduling a few of these sneakier mid-major teams.

Reactions: gharding07

Without that loss we’d be top 3 in every ranking.

Because other things like margin of victory is more important and more predictive of future success than just W-L record.

You play a tough schedule, you are bound to have losses.

People can argue that wins should matter more but the fact of the matter is on a neutral court there's not many teams in America currently that would be favored over Alabama.

Evansville ended up winning less than 10 games, because they fired McCarty not long after they beat us.

UNCW has lost some road games but they haven’t nosedived to the extent Evansville did. Not even close.

It’s a Quad 3 loss. Not ideal, but not truly backbreaking for us considering the schedule we have.

UNCW is still ranked higher in the NET than Vandy last I looked, so a loss to the Dores would be worse.

Eh, not a concern.
Does anyone think Alabama is going to get a 2 seed.
It's a tool. One the committee will use, but not be a slave to.
Bama would get a 10 seed. Maybe
No need to throw 99% away because of outliers.

Didn't have DJ, didn't have Ugo, Bradshaw's first game back disrupted chemistry further. That's a throwaway game in my mind--everybody knows if we played them again w/ our full roster it's a 30 point win

They will be under-seeded based on record and then people will be surprised when they are favored over lower seeds and they will become the trendy pick to "upset" teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT