ADVERTISEMENT

A Word on Football Coverage

I listen every day -- usually to podcast at night.

When Matt was off and one of the bball writers (Jon Rothstein maybe?) did the show it was ALL about bball, X's and O's, technical stuff, bball recruiting, etc. I remember thinking how PAINFUL it was to listen to...and I remember--being a football-first person-- how it would've been just as painful if it were all those things but football-centric.

The show is as successful as it is because its heart is pop-culture with a thin layer of UK sports icing. It is sort of the "sports" talk radio version of Seinfeld: sarcastic in tone, based on observational humor, and heavily reliant on CHARACTERS (John Short, Ky. Joe, even Ryan and Matt are characters). In other words, it is a show about "nothing."

Those of you upset it's not ABOUT football enough are missing the whole point. You are like the early critics who panned Seinfeld because it wasn't a typical sit-com. Thank God it wasn't a typical sit-com. And thank God Jon Rothstein doesn't appear daily as the lead host on KSR.

Matt, you can run your radio show and site however you choose to because you've earned that right. My BIGGEST complaint is the football post game show. You need to STOP talking about anything basketball related. It is a football post game show. Save it for your radio show. If a caller starts talking about Cal or the BB team then please cut that caller off. We knowledgeable football fans don't want to talk BB. I know I speak for many fans on this subject.

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
I love ASeaOfBlue's football coverage. Keep doing what you do guys!

Much appreciated, we've got Todd Greenwell added to our staff now, while he may not have Maggard's name, I'd put his football Xs and Os knowledge against anyone. He coaches at some high school in Louisville

He and I have an article coming tomorrow on the differences in Neal Brown's Air Raid vs Dawson's

Keep doing what you are doing, Matt. If people don't like it, your ratings and hits will go down and you can react then. Most who bash you are jealous or just don't like you. For me, I read or listen to what I like and tune out what I don't. Pretty much that simple. I will say that the more Freddie you get the better. I'm a rare UK fan in that football is more my passion than basketball, but I know where I live. Sort of like being blue in a red state. Others like me may want us to have SEC football coverage in Kentucky...but we may be a little while from that as it takes time to build tradition. Hopefully we're on our way. So, again, keep doing what you're doing.

I've been banned from the KSR web site for years, apparently because I differed with Jones or one of the other "writers" on politics. They like to dish it out, but they sure as hell can't take it, not for a second. And for me, that's all I need to know.

Spica Orbit

There are some real psychos on this board and in our fan-base. Downright scary. The obsessiveness and child-like mentality of the things some of you people dislike is a bit concerning. I mean, there are plenty things I don't like or disagree with, but I'm pretty sure some of you should be avoided at all costs, for safety reasons. Yikes.

That said, most of you are just plain cry babies. And for me, that's all I really need to know.

Reactions: UK34
I love the show and listen to the podcast everyday. Shannon adds so much to the show with his timely songs and drops. Ryan is a great sidekick but some of his comments about sexy panties and what not can get a little too over the top, especially with so many kids listening. Other than that I find some of the non UK stuff hilarious and it's part of the reason I listen. There are only so many times you can hear who Cal or Stoops is recruiting before it gets boring.

As far as I'm concerned the people who get offended and have to correct posters who do not care for Matt Jones are the ones acting childish. Do they think all fans should walk in locked step supporting Matt Jones or anybody else for that matter? That's the unrealistic position from my perspective. We all have different experience in life, why do some believe only "their" experience should be valid in forming an opinion.

Matt Jones as recently as the Fancy Farm picnic has admitted to being "mean" to people in the past. On that I agree with him although I would add condescending and rude to being mean. That also applies to some comments he has made towards the UK football program.

I've listen to KSR many times and have been very interested in what a guest is saying only to hear Jones constantly interrupt. He likes to say that is him doing his job to keep the flow of the show going but I don't buy that. At least not nearly as much as he tries to sell it. Bumper stickers are cute but I want more than that level of discourse.

I think that apology of sorts at Fancy Farm is/was a good thing for Jones to understand about himself, I applaud him for that, but that personal disclosure may be nothing more than image repair by a person whose success is tied to marketing his brand. I have heard many more instances of what turned me away from Jones and KSR than apology for those times. Will he follow through and treat all UK fans better? Time will tell.

Still I think some fans here should take stock in what and why fellow posters have the opinions they do, rather than trying to dismiss them as something they probably are not. Most people form their opinions from their experience and their values, neither of which are alike for everybody.

Reactions: redleg27
Matt Jones and KSR is something i am very fond of. I think he does a great job personally and also KSR is the best site on the internet for UK Athletics. If i want to find out what is going on, I open up the KSR website and start reading. But to each his own.

I agree with you about Matt Jones wish everyone would give him credit for he work.

If someone writes multiple paragraphs about a guy on a radio show any time he is mentioned on a message board, then that someone may need to realize they are taking things a bit too seriously.

Reactions: screwduke
I've been banned from the KSR web site for years, apparently because I differed with Jones or one of the other "writers" on politics. They like to dish it out, but they sure as hell can't take it, not for a second. And for me, that's all I need to know.

Spica Orbit
That's why you shouldn't talk politics on a sports board.

No ...that is why you don't argue with the left when they have a bully pulpit. They are not about debating. They are all in on silencing. Why do you think they never make fun of those on the left when there is plenty there.

Another day, another shot Jones had to nail down when the Cats start to practice (he said today) and he failed again. This time Stoops had to correct him live on air.[laughing]

That is three times this week he has incorrectly stated when practice started

Last edited:
^ Case in point. I guess MJ was too busy doing his due diligence on those oh so important candy bar rankings.

Can't say I've ever understood the mindless hate, Matt. Mostly, I think it comes from people who wish they'd had your idea beforehand. You've probably got the best single-team-oriented sports talk show in the country, and your site is designed to be entertainment with a smattering of news. It's not like the people on this board don't get all the news they could possibly want from JRow and the crew.

I don't really like UK fans bashing other UK fans on their UK fandom. We've got more interesting and trashy fish to fry just up and down the roads in Louisville and Knoxville, respectively.

This. matt jones has been good for the UK fanbase. I understand that he can be grating at times, but the guy has increased UK coverage and he continually exposes UL's evil misdeeds, so what's not to like?

Drew is just a terrible person and is the main reason why I stopped listening to the show and visiting the site.

I like the show, I like Matt, but agree that Drew is a huge drag on the overall appeal of the website and the show.

Jones is without a doubt the most thin-skinned media type I've ever seen. Most of these egocentrics could care less what you and I think, Jones feels he must explain every move he makes. He must be a very insecure person.
So if he doesn't comment he's just an idiot who doesn't care what the fans want and if he does comment he's a thin skinned arrogant jerk. Glad we've covered all the bases.

Reactions: screwduke
good to hear Stoops on the show today, sounds like it was a last second callin but Jones had good questions for him. Jones also mentioned KSR is sending several folks to UK media days tomorrow.

how many media members are your local newspaper or tv station sending? or your favorite UK website?

Matt has stepped up KSR's football profile significantly, I'll definitely give him credit for that.

---
I only responded, I didn't bring up whatever political topic they were initially talking about. Jones & his frat boys are thin-skinned beyond belief. With his flapping mouth, it won't be long before he says something really stupid & gets in trouble with a faction outside the sports world. It's already happened once.

Spica Orbit

I really like KSR and don`t understand people who bash, If I disliked a program, I would not listen or pay attention to it, therefore I would not bash, I just don`t understand unless you are forced to listen against your will and if that is the case their are probably legal ways to avoid this, maybe you should check in on that.

I really like KSR and don`t understand people who bash, If I disliked a program, I would not listen or pay attention to it, therefore I would not bash, I just don`t understand unless you are forced to listen against your will and if that is the case their are probably legal ways to avoid this, maybe you should check in on that.
You're 100% right about that. The issue, for myself, is that KSR's basketball coverage is great. It's just that they cover basketball to the point of posting highlight videos of HS sophomores Cal might be interested in, and in the same breath say no one wants to hear about the finer points of football recruiting. That's a crock. We do want that same level of coverage for football. Just own the fact you weren't giving football its due, that you're trying to do better, and move on.

I appreciate the work KSR puts in. It's free info that's entertaining. There's always going to be a small minority complain. That goes for anything.

This appears to fairly typical comments from a wide variety of posters who are vocal in their opinions of radio sports personalities. In my mind, this is no big deal.

KSR serves a purpose in UK sports. So does Cats Illustrated, Wildcat Lair and The Cats Pause with a whole host of related UK sports oriented web sites also vying for fan attention.

It's all good regardless of personal opinions of our fans whose insight into UK sports is always welcome IMO.

Reactions: robo222
KSR is a business. Jones is going to do what he can to maximize profits. As he should. The amount of coverage of UK football and basketball is based on that premise. This isn't a publicly held company and you are shareholders. He doesn't owe any of you anything nor does he owe an explanation of his coverage.

Also really enjoy Matt/Ryan. Not big on Drew..doesn't bring much to the table.

It's pretty obvious that Matt genuinely cares what people think about the site and has made a ton of upgrades in the football coverage.

Yeah its easier to like having shingles then to like a ul fan.
My best friend is a UofLsucksville grad. Poor guy. We're best of friends but on the days any sports program plays between the two schools were rivals. On the bigger stage games we may not speak for several days regardless of the outcome.

Love the show Matt and all the people you bring on. We are blessed as a fan base to have you and all the top tier guest you have (i.e. Lorenzen, Couch, and Bilas to name a few). I listen to your podcasts everyday while working outside and they really help me get through the day,

Matt Jones, you do not owe anyone an explanation. I drive around town all day and listen to all the sports programs to be entertained and informed and yours is the best. As an all sports UK fan I love the way you dog our rival, rightfully so. Your still not as bad as your buddy Tony and his callers when they dog UK and our fans. Anyone who wants less is not a true fan.

I'm not implying that UK s administration has any thing to do with the content of your show but I'm sure if they disapproved you would not be as associated with their broadcast. So keep up the great work and all you whiners and complainers all you have to do is turn him off. But then you'd be missing out.

I think most "football" fans view the KSR website and radio show very differently.

Even the most fervent football fan would have to say that football coverage on your website has picked up significantly and at a much more in-depth level as the season has approached. Football fans might have to sift through what they see as basketball non-stories to get it but the coverage is becoming more readily available.

The radio show is a different story. Basketball/bball recruiting/off topic is your bread and butter and you obviously have done a very good job building the show on those strengths. Here's the deal... whether you mean to or not you have a very dismissive tone toward most things football related that go any further than scratching the surface. Maybe it's not good for business? Maybe you just don't feel comfortable with it so you'd rather move on? I don't know. The radio show is good at many things and it's ok that football isn't one of them.

But, it's patronizing when you continuously say there's nothing football related to talk about... and then spend 2 segments talking "news" of a new bball walk-on and how many Twitter followers you can get him. If you don't want to talk football it would be better to say as much instead of blaming it on "nothing to talk about". It's become a cop-out. Your interest/lack of in the subject comes through loud and clear on your radio show.

I stopped listening to the radio show simply because I'm not your target audience and in this state I probably shouldn't be. At this point, if football fans go to your radio show for football talk and are disappointed then that's on them. If you go to one of the better Mexican restaurants in town but order a hamburger you really don't have room to complain when it's not any good.
To bad you stopped listening cause you have missed all the interviews with most of the football coaches, Coach Stoops has been on three or four times, Daniels been on couple times.........whatever, don't listen....

You're 100% right about that. The issue, for myself, is that KSR's basketball coverage is great. It's just that they cover basketball to the point of posting highlight videos of HS sophomores Cal might be interested in, and in the same breath say no one wants to hear about the finer points of football recruiting. That's a crock. We do want that same level of coverage for football. Just own the fact you weren't giving football its due, that you're trying to do better, and move on.
In all fairness, Stoops and company may be evaluating 100+ recruits for the 2016 or 2017 class when Cal is likely zeroed in on 15-20. Also, it's much easier to show highlight videos of a guy from an AAU tourney than a random d-lineman at a regional camp. Again, you know what KSR is and how they operate, so why complain that they don't change to fit what you think they should be?

Matt I enjoy your show quite a bit. Don't get too concerned about negativity and jealousy, some ( a vocal minority) just want to bash. I made a small protest about needing a ticket to the Spring game 3 years ago and I was attacked and told I was a miserable person and was told that I Should never walk into Commonwealth again. Keep up the good work

Reactions: vscribner
I have problems with people who only talk to hear themselves. Matt routinely butts in to the caller and always has to have the last word. Annoying to say the least. I do commend Matt on the hire of Freddie though.

After having no cell phone for most of today, I logged on here tonight to see the Football chatter and saw three different threads that each in some form were about the lack of football coverage (or the poor coverage) on KSR. While I understand that some of those complaints are from the same few screen names that curse the mere mention of me or KSR (and likely will join Ky Joe as my future killers one day), some raised a couple of points I wanted to address.

--- On the website, I am not sure how anyone can say we haven't had a massive increase of football coverage in the past two months. We brought on Freddie Maggard and are about to hire a third full time writer whose main focus will be football. The football recruiting posts have been thorough, we have done previews of every position on the team and much more. As a matter of fact, I am certain that there is no site on the internet that has had more football stories than we have over the past two months. Practice has not even started and the coverage has been significant and will only ramp up (we are sending five people to Football Media Day). Comparing the amount of posts to basketball strikes me as silly, when the reality is that our coverage of football has never been more thorough.

--- The other line of complaint seems to be that I don't know anything about football and am an idiot when it comes to football...that could be true. I think it is very much exaggerated (I rarely see many posts from minature Bill Belicheks on fan message boards or blogs), but it is true that I am by no means an expert. However I have admitted that and it was part of the reason we brought Freddie on. I do know more about basketball but haven't claimed to be an expert in that either...instead I try to put on an entertaining radio show about UK sports and being a UK sports fan. Yes, I will get names incorrect (my Bell and Wiggins thing was strong) but when you are on 2 hours a day, mistakes happen. But I will also note that even in football, we break news all the time (the Marcelys Jones and Tate Leavitt commitments recently...the Stoops hire and Marrow extension in the past) and we try to give fans a fun option to talk sports. If you want expertise on Xs and Os, it isn't a secret that I am probably not your guy, but we have made the site include some that are.

Here is the deal about football coverage about UK on KSR and other sites in general...it has increased because Mark Stoops has put some life in the program and has folks excited...and the more UK wins the more you will see. However, diehard posts about the minutia of UK football will always be rare...first because there simply isn't a huge market for it...the amount of people who want that information is WAY less than those who want more general coverage of both sports...and because when football isn't in season, we have so little access to the team that there is very little to say or report. Football coaches are by their very nature (and for understandable reasons) quiet...thus you are just left with predictions...and you can only predict the same 12 games so many times.

I like football and want UK to win BIG...it would be great for my favorite program and would also be great for KSR. The more sports UK is good at, the better for us...especially when it comes to football. If UK wins 6 games, it would be (absent a national title in basketball) the best thing that could happen for KSR and for UK sports in general. To think otherwise is absurd. We have tried to increase football coverage for what I do think is a slowly growing demand and more is coming (including a weekly football-only podcast with Freddie, Nick and Lorenzen). Yes radio shows in other areas of the country talk more about football than we do...they also are, even in those areas, FAR less successful than ours in part because they dont get casual, non-hardcore fans like we do. Our model is Finebaum when he was in Alabama...it has worked and we will continue to do it. The more UK wins, the more football will be front and center. But I don't think we get anywhere as a fanbase by complaining about "basketball only" fans or getting mad that others aren't as serious as you...the reason the UK FB coaches reach out to us is simple...for UK to get where it needs to be, the casual fan has to get on board and be into it....that is where we try to play a role.

With all that said, I would be glad to check back tonight (since I have no cell phone coverage) and answer any questions from people who have real ones (and don't just want to blast us).

Thanks Matt. Been an avid follower of the site since the days of the Patterson/Lucas recruitment and LOVE the show...easily the best UK-centric show I've ever listened to. Have also really enjoyed the increased football coverage, especially Freddie's contributions. Keep up the great work!

Matt Jones show is no better than the James Ramsey UL show when it comes to talking Kentucky football. For years all he's done was indirectly bash the football program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT