ADVERTISEMENT

A Senior Day Record

Safe to say that will be the case next year. 5 and counting already. Could be as high as 7 or 8 before the team is set.
It looks like the record was the 1957-58 team, with 9 seniors: Vernon Hatton, Ed Beck, Earl Adkins, Billy Ray Cassady, Lincoln Collinsworth, John Crigler, Harold Ross, Adrian Smith and Bill Smith.

Link to Senior Day Games

Under the previous coaching regime, most of them were those guys that sat at the end of the bench and rarely got in a game even when the CATS were up by 20 in the last few minutes of the game.

And then when the game was truly out of reach the coach would finally decide to send them to the scorers table with about a minute left but not call time out so it was hit or miss whether the clock would even stop to let them in. And then if by some miracle they did get onto the floor, they were instructed to not run anything but stand around and hold the ball like idiots, because "sportsmanship". :chairshot:

It looks like the record was the 1957-58 team, with 9 seniors: Vernon Hatton, Ed Beck, Earl Adkins, Billy Ray Cassady, Lincoln Collinsworth, John Crigler, Harold Ross, Adrian Smith and Bill Smith.

Link to Senior Day Games
I taught Vernon Hatton’s grandson. Boy did I learn about the nail in the floor commemorating his shot at Memorial!

Cal had 5 just last year in 2023 - Tshiebwe, Fredrick, Toppin, Reeves, Wheeler
Reeves graduated last season I thought? Or was that his extra year? I can’t keep track anymore because Frederick and Wheeler played another year too. Wheeler didn’t even show up for his senior day. I was mainly joking though.

Amazing, but a rebuild will be necessary thereafter.
Honestly unless rules for transferring is changed. Every team every year going forward will be in for a rebuild every season. I'll guess the average number of returnees for most teams will be 2. And I might be high with that number.

And then when the game was truly out of reach the coach would finally decide to send them to the scorers table with about a minute left but not call time out so it was hit or miss whether the clock would even stop to let them in. And then if by some miracle they did get onto the floor, they were instructed to not run anything but stand around and hold the ball like idiots, because "sportsmanship". :chairshot:
You nailed it. I always hated that. These kids rarely got into games. When they did had to stand around for a few seconds.
Had I ever been asked to walk on at UK I would've in a heatbeat. But one season of that would have been enough for me.
I was much too competitive for that nonsense. I would have transferred to NAIA somewhere where I could have played at least a little and actually competed.
Now being a walking during the Pittno years wouldn't have been bad at all.
Those teams routinely blew teams out and he actually let the walkons play multiple minutes and actually let them shoot the ball.

Last edited:
Man I sure miss the incredible Senior Day we used to have at UK. To this day, watching Chuck Hays crying on SD brings a tear to my own eyes.
Chuck is probably my all time favorite Wildcat. He gave us everything he had. I'll always remember him willing us to victory in that Ole Miss game. Delk, Mashburn and Patterson are right up there with him in my book.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Somewhat related. Bama obviously on top because of that FF run.
Unfortunately, none of ours played here to get those minutes. At least they remedy that for next season. I expect them all to get some NCAA Tournament minutes. Regardless of where they got the minutes, the experience will be very important for us.

Chuck is probably my all time favorite Wildcat. He gave us everything he had. I'll always remember him willing us to victory in that Ole Miss game. Delk, Mashburn and Patterson are right up there with him in my book.
Oh yeah, Chuck is right up there with me as well. Dude was a rebounding machine for us, and at what, 6'6" ? , he could muscle his way to rebounds over guys who were taller than he was. But what made Chuck special was that he loved UK , he bled blue and gave 110% every time he stepped on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT