ADVERTISEMENT

When Reed Sheppard was on the court...

How was Reed impeded by Cal, when the last 2/3 of the season he was playing close to 35mpg? I’m not defending our prior coach, I do not think he was a good coach; but most games Reed and Reeves played the most minutes. You can debate whether or not him starting led to slow team starts and how much that impacted winning. But (except for 1-2 games) Reed played about the most you want your best player playing.

until they weren't against Oakland.
If it weren't for a history of our dudes coming out tight regularly in tourney games I may blame it solely on Reed but damn ALL of our guys where like that vs Oakland. Reed did look different but maybe something rubbed off on him like with what happened with the rest of the guys and then against St Peters with 6 to go and against Oakland Cal also looking so damn pale and tight he need a straight pen and sledge hammer lol. Cal over there looking like his blood pressure is 600/583. I just think that shit can rub off sometime.

And that is what he will be remembered by, whether some here like it or not. We actually had people on RR trying to attach legendary status to Reed.
I'm always gonna remember him for shooting over 52% from 3 whole dang season. That was rare. He was a Freshman. Anyone else that done that was Jr or Sr. I'll probably always think of Calipari and how his guys come out tight for ALL tourney games his last 4 yrs. I know some will remember Reed for that but I just see him differently. In a positive way. I'm not trying to put it all on Cal but it seems like Cal has some kind of an effect come tourney time. When you get on Jon Scott's website or open a Catspause yearbook and look at records 10 yrs from now and see what he did I think ppl will look at what he did and remember him coming from HS and gave us a hell of a show.

Last edited:
I'm always gonna remember him for shooting over 52% from 3 whole dang season. That was rare. He was a Freshman. Anyone else that done that was Jr or Sr. I'll probably always think of Calipari and how his guys come out tight for ALL tourney games his last 4 yrs. I know some will remember Reed for that but I just see him differently. In a positive way. I'm not trying to put it all on Cal but it seems like Cal has some kind of an effect come tourney time. When you get on Jon Scott's website or open a Catspause yearbook and look at records 10 yrs from now and see what he did I think ppl will look at what he did and remember him coming from HS and gave us a hell of a show.
The problem I have, besides Cal's roster mismanagement, is that he has "must get drafted" so firmly entrenched in their noggins, that it causes them to play for the spotlight or scouts, rather than for the team and wins. Dilly admitted to such. Pope is trying to get rid of this mentality.

Dang shame Reed and Rob's talents were wasted somewhat due to promises. We don't have to worry about that anymore. I can't wait till Cal strolls into Rupp. I want to beat him worse than UL or Duke. At least this year.
I wanna smash his face in until he retires, then I wanna smash Arkansas for being smug little pricks who think they matter at all in anything.

A bit OT but the lineup of reed, dilly, and reeves was +2 in that game. Even with reed playing the worst game of his life. The numbers on season for those 3 are astronomical, but they only played like 350 minutes together all year
This^^^

Ffs. Some of you still can't get it through your heads that no one was ever saying Reed didn't play enough. The argument was always that Cal refused to play our best players/lineup together for massive stretches of most games, including a rotation that was almost always successful.

This^^^

Ffs. Some of you still can't get it through your heads that no one was ever saying Reed didn't play enough. The argument was always that Cal refused to play our best players/lineup together for massive stretches of most games, including a rotation that was almost always successful.
It was incredibly rare he played his best lineup, and many games not at all. Coaching malpractice.

Imagine how much better that lineup would have been with some actual clock together considering they were fantastic with very little…

Sucks the staff didn't take the time to scout the other team. It was too hard and too much work to coach ball screen defense to a bunch of freshmen.

Reed, Rob and Big Z should have been starters. However , all 3 had issues defending and I think that has to do more with coaching or luck of it under John Calipari.

Here is a scouting report on Rob. Pretty good stuff on his talent, creativity, shot and passing making ability but also his deficiencies on defense, making the right offensive decision coupled with his inability to make a left hook pass that lead on many head scratching turnovers.

Dang shame Reed and Rob's talents were wasted somewhat due to promises. We don't have to worry about that anymore. I can't wait till Cal strolls into Rupp. I want to beat him worse than UL or Duke. At least this year.
Hope Gameday is on for this one & Rupp is packed. I would like a beat down as well.

Here is a scouting report on Rob. Pretty good stuff on his talent, creativity, shot and passing making ability but also his deficiencies on defense, making the right offensive decision coupled with his inability to make a left hook pass that lead on many head scratching turnovers.

Dilly was a very talented and exciting player, no doubt, but he was even more of a volume shooter than Reeves. Dilly launched more shots per minute of playing time than any other player in Cal’s 15-year career. His game is probably more suited to the NBA than college, it seemed to me. I will not be surprised to see him play well professionally.

The most consenting part was that the one thing JVC was consistently good at through the years was teaching and motivating on defense. He clearly lost that skill,

Cal despised the fact he had to play Reed. Gave him zero credit when he was successful.
Exactly!! Cal did NOT want to play Reed and wanted to play him as little as possible. The problem was that Reed was so good and so much better than Cal's five star favorites. He had to play him or his motives would be shown to the world. Reed was good and Cal didn't expect that because he was a FOUR STAR. Cal would never admit he was wrong so he did play him a lot. BUT, Cal refused to give in totally and admit that Reed was better than his plans. That's why he wouldn't start Reed unless he had to. Cal would NEVER admit that maybe some fans knew better than him about Reed. And also, with Reed, he couldn't use him as a poster child for his claim of helping end "generational poverty". I told this forum before last season started that Reed was better than a four star...I saw him play several times and was amazed at what he could do. I really think that over the course of the season, Cal got in Reed's head. His play in the last few games was off.

I am so very glad that Cal is gone. I didn't realize just how really close that man came to destroying our school and team. It truly is/was scary!!

Reactions: ukfan1622
Cal was more worried with DJ getting back out of his post injury shooting slump than anything Reed did last season. Thank goodness that is all over.

It definitely shows how important Reed was to this team.

But Reed also played the second most % of the mins only second to Reeves. He was consistently getting 30-35 mins a game.

Should he have started? Yeah sure. But would he have gotten much more mins (if any) if he did? No probably not.

We thought for years that the connection between Cal and DJ Wagner was going to be so big for us. A recruit that was seen as a lock all the way back to junior high. Turns out, it was the ultimate nepo-hire of a recruitment that completely killed our chances in March. In hindsight, wish he just went to Louisville with his grandpa or whatever.

I said mid-season about DJ (and incorrectly, Edwards too), that it would not be the worst thing if either got a minor injury or decided to shut it down when they we're playing horribly, taking them out of the game. I now further believe this to be true , and wish it did happen. DJ twisting his ankle was going to be the only way he didn't play.

And I feel bad about wishing an injury on someone, so I'm not wanting it to be anything serious. But yeah, a sidelined DJ probably gets us a 2-seed and a Final4.. Maybe even a title game with how the bracket shook out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT