ADVERTISEMENT

A/M now apparently hiring..............

Agreed. How csn they not draw kiffen Dabo Heupel, Lanning , is kind of baffling. All that NIL in Texas….you could win big there
What does this say about Stoops jumping at the opportunity to go there???? Looks to me like he was willing to take a chance to get away from UK, even though he is making A LOT of money here.

How can Coach Stoops win back the trust of everyone at UK???

Agreed. How csn they not draw kiffen Dabo Heupel, Lanning , is kind of baffling. All that NIL in Texas….you could win big there
Think it shows how inept TA&M leaders are. They have everything needed to win. They just don’t have the right people in place to make it happen. They should consistently compete for top 10 teams. That state is loaded and they have every resource and backing needed.

Reactions: Girthang
What's interesting here is Elko is like Stoops 201, both defensive coaches that took over struggling football programs at traditional basketball schools, and both were defensive coordinators under the coach they just fired Jimbo Fisher. They even look alike:

licensed-image
Man, that’s a straight beer belly. Those with a damaged liver tend to store fat directly in the gut.

Think it shows how inept TA&M leaders are. They have everything needed to win. They just don’t have the right people in place to make it happen. They should consistently compete for top 10 teams. That state is loaded and they have every resource and backing needed.
Same as Florida with their recruiting grounds, revolving door for coaches sometimes keeps hitting you in the ass.

(Copied from another thread)

They're trying to hire Duke's WEIRD ass barely winning record in the ACC coach. That makes the whole A&M booster story look COMPLETELY made up.

As much as Stoops frustrates us, he's 100% above that guy as candidates IMO. Stoops has been in the SEC for years and has won.

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the A&M booster/fans are ok with that weird fk but not Stoops.

You would think, paying a $76 million buyout, and not to have a home run hire tee’d up?

Or they needed a tweener they could save money on and fire after a couple years when the guy they really want might be available.

It’s amazing to go back and look at the series between UK and UF before the UK dark yrs.

They were evenly matched programs. IIRC, Florida had a 2-3 game lead on the Cats at that point

(Copied from another thread)

They're trying to hire Duke's WEIRD ass barely winning record in the ACC coach. That makes the whole A&M booster story look COMPLETELY made up.

As much as Stoops frustrates us, he's 100% above that guy as candidates IMO. Stoops has been in the SEC for years and has won.

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the A&M booster/fans are ok with that weird fk but not Stoops.
I would think so but who knows.

Elko was blessed with a hidden gem QB in Riley he didn't recruit or develop. Duke's results the last 2 yrs are overarching because of QB play.

A&M bought smoke & mirrors. Kind of like Jimbo who wasn't special at FSU without Winston. Hope they are on our schedule in 2025 for that 10 yr overdue trip to Lexington.

You'd think Jimbo could do well at another program where they have the money to buy players and a history of sorts. Should've been a home run hire. Goes to show EVERYONE it's not that simple out there, and even more complicated in the SEC

Reactions: gojvc
What's interesting here is Elko is like Stoops 201, both defensive coaches that took over struggling football programs at traditional basketball schools, and both were defensive coordinators under the coach they just fired Jimbo Fisher. They even look alike:

licensed-image
Elko inherited a program in a little better shape than what Joker left ours. Cutcliffe wasn’t a bad coach. They trailed off towards the end of his tenure, but I have to think they had a little better cupboard than we had when Stoops took over.

Reactions: bluecoon1
According to our history? Yeah it’s kinda tough, what about the years he wins 5 SEC games. That’s happened 2 times now. He’s not flashy, and has sucked against Bama and Georgias of the world and that sucks. Reality shows that we don’t have much shot unless we just got lucky to find someone who would.
Every team in the SEC sucks against the Georgias and Alabamas of the world.

Why do that though when they could just have kept Jimbo and saved the money. For that kinda buyout, I think everyone, especially A&M fans, they would get someone to take them to the next level.

It's easier than making up excuses for a program that is fighting for 2nd place in Texas?

Maybe there's a scandal they're hoping to avoid that we don't yet know about?

Maybe attendance has dropped substantially and they're worried about lost revenue?

Maybe they are just overreacting because Texas is coming into the conference and their perceived window of opportunity has closed without anything to show for it?

I think what they've done is frckn NUTS, but there's a lot of nutty sht around college and pro sports on the daily. People with too much of other people's money and too much time and ego to spare making decisions about a sport they often know jack sht about is a recipe for stupid. People with incredible football knowledge and ability, and with proven success, fail to make good decisions, too.

Lots of examples of it to choose from.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Reminds me a little if Barnhart having a blank check to get a basketball coach and hiring Billy G, except Texas A&M probably didn't handwrite Elko's contract on a napkin.

You seen the price of Oil lately? They got more money down there in Texas that they can spend.
Very true

I have a friend. Her father just passed. She has a brother and 2 sisters. Her inheritance was $17M and that did not include the 12,000 acre ranch w the oil wells which is in a trust fund for the family

Think about that. 17x 4 = 68 plus the mothers 1/2

Wonder what happened to Mr. “It’s my decision” at aTm? Mr. Big nuts was out there explaining when they fired Jimbo it was his call and everyone needed to get on board. I can’t believe you make a move that has a total cost of 1/5 of a billion dollars and didn’t have someone waiting in the wings. I thought he looked like all hat when he was addressing the media.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Elko is an underwhelming way to finish their coaching search. Holy cow that is a cluster.

He's a good coach, but A&M will not be patient at all with bumps in the road.

Elko inherited a program in a little better shape than what Joker left ours. Cutcliffe wasn’t a bad coach. They trailed off towards the end of his tenure, but I have to think they had a little better cupboard than we had when Stoops took over.
Elko inherited a program that won 3 games and 0 conference games the previous year and won 9 his first season. Only really had one recruiting class that was his.

The 2 years vs 11 years is actually probably advantage Elko.
This is a great point....

So coaches with a track record get that held against them but a coach with little track record is no problem. Almsot like NBA draft...a 3-4 year kid won't get drafted as his potential can't sale and maybe some warts....but a a kid with zero track record you can draft on potential.

Stoops is easily a better candidate than this guy....shame schools do stupid crap like this....but oh well. I'll gladly take it once we get to play Texas AM....I dought this guy will build a great team.

What does this say about Stoops jumping at the opportunity to go there???? Looks to me like he was willing to take a chance to get away from UK, even though he is making A LOT of money here.

How can Coach Stoops win back the trust of everyone at UK???
How do you know he lost the trust of everyone at UK?

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT