ADVERTISEMENT

A/M now apparently hiring..............

UNIVKY

All-SEC
May 21, 2002
Duke head coach Mike Elko. He was DC there a couple of years.

Will fans revolt?

Duke head coach Mike Elko. He was DC there a couple of years.

Will fans revolt?

Most likely. They wanted the coach to come from Day, Deboge or Lanning. They all said no. Supposedly the Arizona coach was told the job was his, until the AD went rogue and called Stoops and you decide if an off was made or interest show. When that happened the Arizona coach removed his name. The Arizona coach is who they wanted after first 3 said no. So they were left with Elko after the first 5 turned them down. And no ATM fans are not happy and want AD blood. Hard to believe they pony up 75m to fire Jimbo without their guy already on board.

Maybe I just check their 247 site and they don’t seem to pleased with that choice either.
They are definitely delusional on who their options are. The want a Saben, Smart, Riley, Dabo and that’s not happening. They’d be best off taking Deion.

Man, if A&M can really pull Duke's DC just think of the superstars waiting to coach UK
There’s your measuring stick. You run off Mark Stoops and we’ll be choosing from someone no more accomplished than Mike Elko. I’m going to need something a little worse than 7-5 with a third straight win over Florida and fifth straight win over U6 before I’m looking to take that risk.

There’s your measuring stick. You run off Mark Stoops and we’ll be choosing from someone no more accomplished than Mike Elko. I’m going to need something a little worse than 7-5 with a third straight win over Florida and fifth straight win over U6 before I’m looking to take that risk.
I'm thinking Stoops will leave on his own in the next few years. By then, Sumrall or Coen will hopefully step in. It was pretty eye opening last night for those few hours when we thought we had to find a new coach. I like Sumrall, just think he needs more time. People suggesting Neal Brown are hilarious. I wouldn't be surprised if WV fires him soon.

Kept it in the Fisher tree . Stoops was Fisher’s DC as well ( at FSU)

Pretty shocking they'd pay Jimbo 70 mil to not coach then with a blank check pursue his two former assistants. None of this makes any sense.

Starts to make me curious if there wasn't more to that firing than what's public.

Man, if A&M can really pull Duke's DC just think of the superstars waiting to coach UK

Exactly. That's my point all morning. I'm fine with moving on from stoops when there is a better option we can get. A&m had a blank check and the greatest of everything....and this is who they got.

UK has none of those advantages, just for perspective. The very best we could do is summral (whom I love) but he comes with an unproven staff. You don't just fire this staff to roll the dice especially with this ad

Pretty shocking they'd pay Jimbo 70 mil to not coach then with a blank check pursue his two former assistants. None of this makes any sense.

Starts to make me curious if there wasn't more to that firing than what's public.

Exactly. That's my point all morning. I'm fine with moving on from stoops when there is a better option we can get. A&m had a blank check and the greatest of everything....and this is who they got.

UK has none of those advantages, just for perspective. The very best we could do is summral (whom I love) but he comes with an unproven staff. You don't just fire this staff to roll the dice especially with this ad
First off, it’s not Duke’s DC, it’s their head coach. Second, there are likely much better options out there. This certainly isn’t a home run hire.

I'm thinking Stoops will leave on his own in the next few years. By then, Sumrall or Coen will hopefully step in. It was pretty eye opening last night for those few hours when we thought we had to find a new coach. I like Sumrall, just think he needs more time. People suggesting Neal Brown are hilarious. I wouldn't be surprised if WV fires him soon.

He may do just that. He's reached the highest level of support he's ever going to get here, because there is no higher level of support here. The rest of the way he'll be working/ fighting against the negative press supplied by our own "fans." The same fans that never thought he'd get us to 10 wins and swore to it.

Whether it's the QB, HC, OC, etc., it never matters what we have. It's always about the one we don't. That portion of the fan base that has been against Stoops for years will always be this way. Hasn't changed for over 30 years. Won't change soon.

First off, it’s not Duke’s DC, it’s their head coach. Second, there are likely much better options out there. This certainly isn’t a home run hire.

I didn't say he was Duke's dc

It certainly is not, which tells you the caliber of available candidates. If they can't hand a blank check and do better than this, Mitch definitely isn't doing better

Reactions: Girthang and gojvc
I didn't say he was Duke's dc

It certainly is not, which tells you the caliber of available candidates. If they can't hand a blank check and do better than this, Mitch definitely isn't doing better
I’d be ok with Sumrall. He’s a little bit of a wildcard due to lack of experience, but he’s killing it so far albeit in a weak conference. Looks like we will have a couple more years at least before we start searching for Stoops’ replacement though.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
What's interesting here is Elko is like Stoops 201, both defensive coaches that took over struggling football programs at traditional basketball schools, and both were defensive coordinators under the coach they just fired Jimbo Fisher. They even look alike:

licensed-image

Really, you think it's impossible to hire a coach who could win 2 SEC games and a beat our rival?
My God, our fanbase has some serious beaten dog psychology going on.

Really, you think it's impossible to hire a coach who could win 2 SEC games and a beat our rival?
My God, our fanbase has some serious beaten dog psychology going on.
According to our history? Yeah it’s kinda tough, what about the years he wins 5 SEC games. That’s happened 2 times now. He’s not flashy, and has sucked against Bama and Georgias of the world and that sucks. Reality shows that we don’t have much shot unless we just got lucky to find someone who would.

Reactions: Girthang
Elko was blessed with a hidden gem QB in Riley he didn't recruit or develop. Duke's results the last 2 yrs are overarching because of QB play.

A&M bought smoke & mirrors. Kind of like Jimbo who wasn't special at FSU without Winston. Hope they are on our schedule in 2025 for that 10 yr overdue trip to Lexington.

Most likely. They wanted the coach to come from Day, Deboge or Lanning. They all said no. Supposedly the Arizona coach was told the job was his, until the AD went rogue and called Stoops and you decide if an off was made or interest show. When that happened the Arizona coach removed his name. The Arizona coach is who they wanted after first 3 said no. So they were left with Elko after the first 5 turned them down. And no ATM fans are not happy and want AD blood. Hard to believe they pony up 75m to fire Jimbo without their guy already on board.
That’s why they pay 75 million to fire Jimbo, they obviously have the money but not the other things needed to make good moves. They are like a Dumbass kid who inherits his Fathers Billions. Probably doesn’t know shit and would blow it if it wasn’t handled by advisors and accountants and everyone else but him.

If we had a head coach vacancy right now and you had two choices who would you take? Mike Elko or Jimbo Fisher?

I'm taking they guy that notched the Natty.
And he also recruited some high caliber recruits, I highly doubt the Duke coach has been in many big time recruiting battles. Maybe when he was DC there?

Reactions: Girthang
So Elko with 2 years of HC experience with Duke in the ACC makes fans happier than Stoops with 11 years HC experience in the SEC??!! Okay I guess……🤔
Agreed. How csn they not draw kiffen Dabo Heupel, Lanning , is kind of baffling. All that NIL in Texas….you could win big there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT