ADVERTISEMENT

21 BEST GUNS FOR HOME PROTECTION

<------ Formerly taught marksmanship and close-combat tactics while in the Army. Additionally, I've owned a Colt AR-15 HB for years and could not, with a clear conscience, recommend either it or any other assault rifle for defense inside the home. Yeah, okay, my instructor days were back during the late-90s, but still.

Go with a shotgun. Your kids and/or neighbors will thank you for it.

This is excellent advice. Like I mentioned my wife has a .20 gauge Coach double barrel shotgun. This is only one of many rifles, shotguns and hand guns we have but this is the one she keeps loaded and at the ready at all times. (our children are grown and when the grandchildren visit we are safe and responsible). The coach is for home defense only. It is very light weight and in a close situation it is extremely effective. The main thing to keep in mind is make sure your wife or daughter understand how to use a weapon and are familiar with it. If they have fears work with them to over come these. Bottom line stay prepared and have the ability to defend yourself. Unless you sleep in a police station or the local armory you need protection and 911 should be called, but only after you take care of business. If someone violates your property and enters your home uninvited, do what you need to do and don't hesitate. The law is on your side and it is much better to be safe than sorry. All the tears in the world will not bring back a loved one, once they cross over the river so to speak.

Good point Sawnee.

Use what you are familiar with....and what you are best with. I tried to teach my wife to use the shotgun, but mine is a full frame 12ga that I use for hunting. She can't handle it too well and frankly is scared of it. When we go to the range, she practices 90% of the time with the small framed S&W .38 revolver. And so therefore, that's what she will reach for if the fit hits the shan.

Eventually, I'd like to get a small/youth framed .410 or 20ga for her......but she's good enough with that revolver that I'm not in a hurry.....

My dad is a Vietnam vet. He still uses an M1 for home defense. Talk about over penetration for home defense. But if I were as good with it as he is, it would be my choice too.

Last edited:
Being not sure what these "Coach" shotguns were, I looked it up. I knew that if it was made by the "Coach" that makes purses, my wife would have to have one.

You could always go with an AA-12 full auto combat shotgun if you really want to cut the bad guys in half. Nice low recoil on that baby. 300 rounds per minute and you only need to clean it every 10,000 rounds.
shotg.gif

Last edited:
Do people here really sleep with guns on both sides of the bed or several in their bedroom ? I mean I get the point of protection, but is 4-5 guns (not in a gun case), not a bit over protecting ?

If I am over some ones house and they give me a tour of the bedroom, if I look and see Tammy with a rifle by her bed, and Tommy with one by his, and other ones laying around the room. Pretty sure I will be very polite , shorten the visit as much as possible (maybe pull cell phone very slowly and deliberate out of my pocket, pretend to read text, and tell them I have to leave urgent, my dog just got ran over). When I leave their house after visiting, I would grab my pen and pad (I keep 3 or 4 in my car at all time, you never know when you might have to write something down), make note to self, never associate with or invite them to our house, never go back to that house. Then I would kick friend that introduced me to them square in the nuts. Which should I use to write note ? Roller point, sharpie, or permanent marker ? What color ink ? J/K, but dang some of you guys go hard in the paint.

For those that have Judges, what's the spread on those? Maybe, how much does it spread at 5 or 7 yds?
I don't have the Judge, but I have the Governor. The spread at 5 to 7 yards is about 12" or so, maybe more. Not a lot of pellets in a 410 shell, so the pattern gets blown apart pretty quickly. I use a defender round in a 410, complete with a few pellets and discs. Damn thing rips the hell out of whatever you shoot with it at around 10 yds. or less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT