ADVERTISEMENT

21 BEST GUNS FOR HOME PROTECTION

Not to mention:

-shotguns transfer a ton of energy at short ranges
-most people are going to be scared to death during a home invasion......taking careful aim likely will not be occurring. The scatter likely gives you the best chance of success.
-Long sight radius yields better chance of success
-Shotguns can be very cost effective

Would be interested to know who the author of this was and if he/she has ever handled a weapon of anykind.
An AR-15 is an exceptional weapon for those familiar with it and trained to handle it. However, this is one of the 10 best options for your average housewife?
The Tavor TAR-21is just to exotic to be considered and would have same limitations where the average housewife is concerned.
As noted by others, the pump shotgun is the perfect choice. My preferance is a Remington 870 Tactical with 18.5" barrel loaded with stainless steel BB's.

My preferance is a Remington 870 Tactical with 18.5" barrel loaded with stainless steel BB's.

It can be cheap too. You can get a 870 for about $300-350. Or a Mossberg 500 for $250-300. Insanely reliable and will last a lifetime.

Assault rifles are not suitable home defense weapons in most instances. A pump action shot gun or a hand gun (9 mm or higher caliber) will do the job without over penetrating. Your neighbors will also thank you. If you go with a pistol, use hollow point ammo.

And practice.

I don't care what it is. If you spend 95% of the time shooting a rifle throughout the yr, then a pistol probably isn't the best choice for you for home defense.

Shooting is a perishable skill. If you don't practice you will lose your skill level......and it diminishes with time.

And don't just practice taking 10 seconds to aim, control breathing, etc, every time. That's not realistic. Gotta shoot well "game situations."

Assault rifles are not suitable home defense weapons in most instances. A pump action shot gun or a hand gun (9 mm or higher caliber) will do the job without over penetrating. Your neighbors will also thank you. If you go with a pistol, use hollow point ammo.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?op...netration-information&catid=13:technical-info

Money quote:
"The FBI study clearly demonstrates the following: (1) that .223 rounds on average, penetrate less than the hollow point pistol rounds evaluated, (2) concern for over penetration of the .223 round, at close range, has been greatly exaggerated, (3) with the exception of soft ballistic garment penetration, the .223 round appears to be relatively safer for employment in CQB events than the hollow point bullets tested. " (emphasis mine)

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?op...netration-information&catid=13:technical-info

Money quote:
"The FBI study clearly demonstrates the following: (1) that .223 rounds on average, penetrate less than the hollow point pistol rounds evaluated, (2) concern for over penetration of the .223 round, at close range, has been greatly exaggerated, (3) with the exception of soft ballistic garment penetration, the .223 round appears to be relatively safer for employment in CQB events than the hollow point bullets tested. " (emphasis mine)

Your article is about CQB's which it defines as hostage situations and drug raids. Not about home defense. Also I did not stipulate .223 rounds. I said assault rifles in general (that includes all the weapons that fire much more powerful ammo like AKs, M-1As and the like. I don't think that you will find many experts that recommend assault rifles over shot guns and pistols for home defense but use whatever you are comfortable with.

Can't see this list being the best for home protection. Pistols for personal protection and this thing for when the North Koreans invade maybe.
Especially if you live in an apartment, I would think you would just as likely kill your neighbors than the intruders.
I'll stick with my 12 gauge for home and dove season.
tavor_s878x642.jpg

Your article is about CQB's which it defines as hostage situations and drug raids. Not about home defense. .

Good Lord, do you really think a bullet knows whether it's being used in a "hostage situation" vs "defending" a home? Whether a soldier is shooting a terrorist or a soccer mom is shooting a perp, the goal is the same -- neutralize the threat and spare innocents from collateral damage, e.g. from over-penetration through walls.

The point of the article -- just one among several on the subject of penetration -- is that testing proves rounds, e.g. the .223, which are commonly regarded as "over-penetrating" are actually less likely to do so than rounds commonly regarded as being "safer" for bystanders, e.g. hollow-point pistol rounds.

As far as you not specifically referencing .223, since it is far and away the round most associated with "assault" rifles I simply used it as a well-known example.

Just setup a trip wire and claymore on the front porch at around 8pm every night. Anyone shows up after that deserves what they get. I also keep a flame thrower right next to the bed just in case.

Always take an extension cord with the female end removed with you on vacation. You can use it to electrify your hotel doorknob just to be safe.

I have #21 on the list (Walther PPK) in the glovebox. I have what I consider best for home defense, a Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrell, within arm's reach.

I was born with guns I'll just roll up my sleeves when I go to sleep at night and that should keep them away.

Reactions: Mashburned
Can't see this list being the best for home protection. Pistols for personal protection and this thing for when the North Koreans invade maybe.
Especially if you live in an apartment, I would think you would just as likely kill your neighbors than the intruders.
I'll stick with my 12 gauge for home and dove season.
tavor_s878x642.jpg

Not a gun expert, what is this thing? I want one. :) This post was meant for Free-Salto-Blue.

It's one the guns in OP's link.

"The IWI (former IMI) Tavor TAR-21 is an Israeli assault rifle designed to be more effective in urban combat than the M16 series but still be able to be as effective at a range as the M16. In order to accomplish this, the rifle utilizes a bullpup design that shortens the weapon by 300mm in the standard models. There exist even shorter carbine models."

Last edited:
That gun is just a basic bull-pup rifle. "Bull-pup" meaning that the magazine and firing mechanisms are behind the trigger mechanisms. What this does is is allow you to have a much more compact package.

England's Army has used one since 1985. The currently one is the L85A2.
sa80-l85a2.jpg

It fires the same ammunition as the M16A2 (which the US Army uses). It has the same barrel length as the M16A2 at 20". It has the same effective range at about 600-800m. But the overall length is 9" shorter than the M16A2.

Also, because your hands are much further forward you can hold the barrel down during repetitive firing. The M16A2 is a dream to shoot and doesn't have much muzzle climb.....supposedly the L82 is even better.

The French Army has used the FAMAS since 1981.
FAMAS.jpg

You may also recognize this from various video games.

Last edited:
I would vote for the shotgun. I have had 6 and 7(at least it can duplicate that) for more than 20 years but would have picked up a shotgun first, if it had been needed. I don't remember being taught what would have been best, just thought a shotgun would be best, but, after college I was given some pointers by some along the way.

I worked all over SEKY and got a chance to get to know all kinds of nuts...lol, I could relate. Several were experienced in both sides of home invasions, could talk blood and guts and show bullet holes as well.... now I have never tested this, but what I came away with was, most of them that had families prefered a shotgun loaded with small shot 7 1/2-8. They said that if you are in the same room/ close range, well you know, but if you missed and the shot went through a wall, that it most likely wouldn't kill anyone of the other side, wife/ kids and etc.

I started loading mine where the first 2 shots were 7 1/2, the second two 00 buck and then 2 slugs. But there are other rounds you can have fun with:
http://www.firequest.com/exotic-shotgun-ammo.html
http://wolfhillammo.com/12-gauge.aspx

It can be cheap too. You can get a 870 for about $300-350. Or a Mossberg 500 for $250-300. Insanely reliable and will last a lifetime.
A Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. Is what I have in my bedroom. It's short enough to maneuver around in a hallway, but has that signature pump action that almost ensures no shot will need to be fired.

A Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. Is what I have in my bedroom. It's short enough to maneuver around in a hallway, but has that signature pump action that almost ensures no shot will need to be fired.
Nothing says "GTFO" like the "chunk chunk" sound coming from a pump action shotgun

Reactions: ModernThirst_Bill
About how long does it take to patch the drywall holes from your shotgun spray? This heavily factors into my choice of purchase because drywalling really is a pain.

Reactions: robo222
Nothing says "GTFO" like the "chunk chunk" sound coming from a pump action shotgun

While I have a shotgun for home defense, I don't share the sentiment that the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber will deter anyone who is crazy/desperate enough to break into your home, knowing that you are there.

While I have a shotgun for home defense, I don't share the sentiment that the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber will deter anyone who is crazy/desperate enough to break into your home, knowing that you are there.
I didn't say it would deter them, I just said it tells them to GTFO. Whether they listen or not is up to them.

About how long does it take to patch the drywall holes from your shotgun spray? This heavily factors into my choice of purchase because drywalling really is a pain.
Just leave the pattern on the wall and don't fix it. Hell of a deterrent when they see you mean business.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Just get a a Saiga 12 and load it with a 20 round drum of 00 buckshot - anybody's wife who can pull a trigger would be deadly with that and it shouldn't kill the neighbors

My wife has a coach shotgun, double barrel next to our bed and I have a Judge that shoots .45 and 410 shotgun shells on my side. I load the Judge shotgun shell .45 , shotgun shell, . 45 and so on.

Reactions: Desperado_1955
My wife has a coach shotgun, double barrel next to our bed and I have a Judge that shoots .45 and 410 shotgun shells on my side. I load the Judge shotgun shell .45 , shotgun shell, . 45 and so on.
Pretty much the same way I load the Governor. Usually first three rounds are 410 shells. If your ass keeps coming, then you get the 45's

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

I too have a Judge but I have it loaded with defensive rounds made for the Judge. Each shell has 3 copper discs followed by shot. I have patterned it out to ten yards and the 3 discs and the shot will leave a good mark on a person.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
For those that have Judges, what's the spread on those? Maybe, how much does it spread at 5 or 7 yds?

<------ Formerly taught marksmanship and close-combat tactics while in the Army. Additionally, I've owned a Colt AR-15 HB for years and could not, with a clear conscience, recommend either it or any other assault rifle for defense inside the home. Yeah, okay, my instructor days were back during the late-90s, but still.

Go with a shotgun. Your kids and/or neighbors will thank you for it.

ADVERTISEMENT