ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Recruiting

Ughhhh

Gold Member
Mar 20, 2012
It's be discussed a lot, but what's everyone's opinion on the 2016 class?

1. If Ulis is back, my top class would be Fultz, Alkins, Bridges, and Monk at the 1-3. With Monk and Fultz playing back up 1. I think UK could land 3 of the 4, but both Monk and Fultz might be challenging.

2. Where is this rumor of Ayton reclassyifing coming from? I've never seen anyone really mention it except on the Kentucky boards.

Also something that seems to go unnoticed is that Matthews and Mulder will probably be back after next season (although I'm hesitant to ever say someone is for sure coming back). With them back, there will be even more of a log jam at the guard spots.

Ayton is 17 right now. It's not so much a rumor as it is a general expectation that someone like him, who could play in college today and is physically ready for the league, would reclass to join their original or age appropriate class and get to the league a year sooner. This is usually something that begins being discussed by a prospect and his circle in the spring and it doesn't become official until the Summer when the extra course work is completed.

There has been no talk from Aytons camp as far as I know, which is normal given the timeline in which these things occur, as stated above. It really hinges on academics, if he can reclass I have no doubt he'll do it. If the grades/credits aren't there (although I think I read about him that he is an excellent student), then it just can't be done. With reclassing becoming more and more prevalent, conventional wisdom indicates that Ayton would be the most prime of candidates to do so.

Reactions: BigBlueTom1
Monk
Fultz
Bridges
Ayton
Killeya Jones

I love Fox and Alkins both, but I think we're definitely getting Fultz. If we get one of those two its prolly because we don't get Monk or because Ulis leaves. Now I gotta go to sleep. I'll change my mind on who I hope we get by the time I get off work tomorrow LOL.

Monk
Fultz
Bridges
Ayton
Killeya Jones

I love Fox and Alkins both, but I think we're definitely getting Fultz. If we get one of those two its prolly because we don't get Monk or because Ulis leaves. Now I gotta go to sleep. I'll change my mind on who I hope we get by the time I get off work tomorrow LOL.

That's the exact class I want plus De'Aaron Fox. Is that asking too much?

Can't go wrong with any three of the Fox/Simmons/Monk/Bridges/Alkins/Fultz/Smith group.

All of them will be NBA players someday.

To me, the wings are the big question.

I'm sure Cal will want a PG no matter what happens with Ulis. I'd also bet he'll take two wings. UK seems to be favored (or right there) with Fultz, Monk and Alkins. Curious how that will shake out.

If he can land Fox, Fultz, Alkins, and Bridges (bigs tbd) you have 4 elite guys that can play multiple positions which is ideal when it is uncertain who returns.

i actually dont think the class is going to be as big as people think. i'll bet ulis and brisco both come back. i know people want 3 or 4 guards....but that to me just seems unrealistic.

with ulis, brisco, mathews, and mulder...we really only need 1 SG and 1 SF.

what we really need is a big time PF and probably a C.

This class seems to be more intent on signing early and there is an assumption Briscoe in a one year guy so I don't see that being a factor. And like Teague and Goodwin he seems intent on going if draftable.

There is going to be a good base of talent that comes back but they will need scoring and someone capable of playing point behind Ulis.

i actually dont think the class is going to be as big as people think. i'll bet ulis and brisco both come back. i know people want 3 or 4 guards....but that to me just seems unrealistic.

with ulis, brisco, mathews, and mulder...we really only need 1 SG and 1 SF.

what we really need is a big time PF and probably a C.
Briscoe is a confident little booger. My guess is he came to Kentucky knowing it was his best shot to be in the league next year.

Reactions: brianpoe
Monk
Fultz
Bridges
Ayton
Killeya Jones

Wynyard is already committed for 2016, and Humphries' likely reclassification for the fall semester increases the likelihood that Wynyard will be added to our playing roster in 2016-17. The tea leaves are telling us that Monk and Fox are coming to play for Calipari. The stars are lining up for a 2016 class of Wynyard, Killeya-Jones, Bridges, Monk, Fox, plus 1 or 2 more out of Maker, Azubuike, Giles, Gabriel, Cage, Fultz, Alkins.

a) you are ignoring the fact most will sign this fall with the assumption he is going so whether or not he actually goes is mostly irrelevant.
b) you choose Ulis, who has size limitations as an example rather than Booker, Goodwin, Teague, Knight, or Bledsoe. The twins very nearly declared after year one as well due solely on being deadset on being one year players.

they all think that.
Another thing to think about too is the draft class. If he waits another year, he's gonna be competing against one of the deepest classes in a long time. Newman, Murray, and Thonrton are the only guards ranked ahead of him in this class, whereas the '16 class is loaded with guards. Only time will tell but I still don't see him (or Ulis) sticking around if he has a decent season.

so why not ulis than? especially after the season every expects him to have? most dont seem to think he will leave
What difference does it make if most think he will leave? If history has taught us anything, opinions might be different 6 months from now. I don't think he is going anywhere, but that's up to him.

so why not ulis than? especially after the season every expects him to have? most dont seem to think he will leave

i think Ulis and Briscoe are gone after this year, with an outside chance Mulder and/or Lee goes
i think we are going to have 5-6 go after this year

I see Killeya-Jones name mentioned a lot as coming to UK. How sure are some of you that UK can land this kid ?

i think Ulis and Briscoe are gone after this year, with an outside chance Mulder and/or Lee goes
i think we are going to have 5-6 go after this year

i can see that. especially ulis. the strikes against him are never going to change, if he has a great year like everyone is predicting and its a bad draft class...is his stock every going to be higher?

i can see that. especially ulis. the strikes against him are never going to change, if he has a great year like everyone is predicting and its a bad draft class...is his stock every going to be higher?

that is a huge question
right now i think he is a high 2nd round pick
with this draft being weak compared to the next draft, he might work himself into that late 1st round
if he were 4 inches taller, he would be without question the #1 pg in CBB this year, and would have been in the top 3 drafted last year

my thoughts on our guys draft spots
Skal top 5
Murray top 5
Briscoe 1st round
Poythress late 1st early 2nd
Lee 2nd round
Mulder depends if he has a Booker type year
Ulis 2nd round, could work into the 1st round

I imagine Lee pulls a WCS and stays. Idk about Ulis, and I assume Briscoe will go, along with Murray, Skal, and Poythress. I assume Matthews and Mulder with have solid seasons, but will stay another season.

i think we lose 3-4 guards this year
on a great note, we could not pick a better year to recruit guards
man this class is loaded with guards

Not sure if you noticed last year, but Ulis is only 5'9" which hurts his pro prospects a bit.

To me, the wings are the big question.

I'm sure Cal will want a PG no matter what happens with Ulis. I'd also bet he'll take two wings. UK seems to be favored (or right there) with Fultz, Monk and Alkins. Curious how that will shake out.
I agree, you can't go wrong with any of the wings. If I had my choice:

Monk and Alkins would be the two wings.
Monk is Westbrook lite. Alkins is a bull with a sweet stoke.

Pair them up with Fox, Simmons....

BBN train keeps on rolling.

Monk
Fultz
Bridges
Ayton
Killeya Jones

you guy forgetting ...Maker I think he will come to UK

you guy forgetting ...Maker I think he will come to UK

That'd be awesome. I know some have went sour on him but I still think he can be a special player.Actually a lot of people are just straight up forgetting about the kid.

Not sure if you noticed last year, but Ulis is only 5'9" which hurts his pro prospects a bit.
It does, but the thing that people seem to be missing is how that might make him MORE likely to leave early.

Ulis won't be a 1st round pick. Not this year, not next year, probably not ever. That could very well mean that he'll leave the moment he feels like he'll be drafted. He won't care much about where he's drafted, just that someone is willing to give him a shot. He wants a future as a professional basketball player, but he knows that's never going to be a guaranteed thing for him, and waiting for any kind of guarantee would very possibly prove futile. He's never going to be taller than 5'9".

If he plays well this year, and ends up projected as a 2nd round pick, I think he's gone.

Last edited:
I think Ulis comes back unless UK wins the title. Cal gets one of the big time PG's (Fox would be my guess), Monk, Bridges and a big. As others have pointed out we will have Wynard and the big Aussie already for bigs.

I think Ulis comes back unless UK wins the title. Cal gets one of the big time PG's (Fox would be my guess), Monk, Bridges and a big. As others have pointed out we will have Wynard and the big Aussie already for bigs.
I think you are dead on target with these names. Ulis, Hawkins, Mulder, Matthews, Fox, Monk, Willis, Lee, Bridges, Humphries, Wynyard. There will probably be 1 more big.

One thing I feel confident about for 2016 recruiting is that I don't think Cal is going to give up on Giles until he officially commits somewhere. There are no "yeah, buts", like there have been with some past guys that UK lost, like the Duke trio from last year, Wiggins, Jabari Parker, and so on. I think Cal wants Giles bad, and is going to fight for him until the bitter end. When Cal talks about a potentially historic 2016 class, he almost has to be thinking of Giles, because he's the only big guy who could really push the class into that stratosphere.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I see Killeya-Jones name mentioned a lot as coming to UK. How sure are some of you that UK can land this kid ?

UK is the leader right now, if he commits in the next couple months then I expect him to be at UK.

Monk
Fultz
Bridges
Ayton
Killeya Jones

I think the class will be pretty much that though we will also add a pg ( either Simmons or Fox) and who knows if Ayton really reclassifies but if not we will get another great big man .

I think the class will be pretty much that though we will also add a pg ( either Simmons or Fox) and who knows if Ayton really reclassifies but if not we will get another great big man .

If Ulis comes back I doubt we'd get Fox or Simmons. But I kind of think Ulis might leave after this season honestly. So then hopefully we'd get Fox, Monk, Fultz, Bridges, Ayton, and SKJ.

If Ulis comes back I doubt we'd get Fox or Simmons. But I kind of think Ulis might leave after this season honestly. So then hopefully we'd get Fox, Monk, Fultz, Bridges, Ayton, and SKJ.

If Briscoe goes OAD with Ulis I doubt Fox will be scared of his chances of doing the same thing just because Tyler stays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT