ADVERTISEMENT

Top Ten Losses

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
ALL of the AP Top Ten lost within the last three (3) days, except UCONN (#2) and ISU (#6).
Three (3) projected #1 seeds lost.
The #1 vs #16 match-ups may be quite dramatic this year !!

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
ALL of the AP Top Ten lost within the last three (3) days, except UCONN (#2) and ISU (#6).
Three (3) projected #1 seeds lost.
The #1 vs #16 match-ups may be quite dramatic this year !!
Yes, playing Iowa State is equivalent to Bugtussle Tech Barbers School for the Criminally Insane.

Be prepared, OP, for being hammered by some very aggressive anti-Cal dudes. They are going to run with your thread topic as some kind of Cal Sucker mindset, even though it's more likely you're just putting out info that should make most of us think "wow, what a crazy difference it is thanks to NIL and the transfer portal...totally changing the competitive landscape!".

Instead, they will jab you hard and label this as an apologetic/excuse, "see other teams are losing, too!" statement.

But to your topic, nail at the foul line is correct - that those other teams lost isn't equivalent at all to what they'll see in the 16-seed. If you have examples of any of the top 2 seeds being beaten in the last week by an equivalent 15 or 16 seed, push that out here.

It’s been a crazy season. I’d bet very few coaches like the way the game is changing.

Reactions: megablue
Be prepared, OP, for being hammered by some very aggressive anti-Cal dudes. They are going to run with your thread topic as some kind of Cal Sucker mindset, even though it's more likely you're just putting out info that should make most of us think "wow, what a crazy difference it is thanks to NIL and the transfer portal...totally changing the competitive landscape!".

Instead, they will jab you hard and label this as an apologetic/excuse, "see other teams are losing, too!" statement.

But to your topic, nail at the foul line is correct - that those other teams lost isn't equivalent at all to what they'll see in the 16-seed. If you have examples of any of the top 2 seeds being beaten in the last week by an equivalent 15 or 16 seed, push that out here.
I see what you did there.

It’s been a crazy season. I’d bet very few coaches like the way the game is changing.
Agree, but if it's happening to everyone across the landscape and happening regularly, it is likely a signal that this is becoming the new norm for coaches and fans to expect (thanks NIL and trade portal...).

No, I'm not saying Kentucky should just accept our horrible coaching and random performances. I'm talking about how it's going to become the norm for the majority of the top 25 and field of 64 to have 7-12 losses. There will be very few teams, just like this year, with four or less losses in a season. In fact, I predict over the next few years it will be rare to see any top team with less than 5 losses.

Reactions: megablue and chroix
I see what you did there.
Oh? Enlighten me because I don't even see what I did there! :)

I just know our fan base and there are a ton of folks running around looking for any kind of confrontation right now. It's coming, but the OP has been around long enough to probably know that by posting on this topic, the wolves will be incoming.

Oh? Enlighten me because I don't even see what I did there! :)

I just know our fan base and there are a ton of folks running around looking for any kind of confrontation right now. It's coming, but the OP has been around long enough to probably know that by posting on this topic, the wolves will be incoming.
I thought you were dogging on Cal while telling the op to be prepared for such comments. Maybe I was wrong. Apologies if so.

I don't know about the 1-16 games.

But look at a team like NC STate. Beat Duke and UNC-Cheats as part of five wins in five days. But before that they were outside the dance, so likely still only a 8-9 seed.

That's a hell of an 8-9 seed to have to face in the second game for a 1 seed.

That's just an example. There are going to be lot of 6,7,8,9,10 seeds that are playing very well right now, and capable of beating 1,2,3 seeds in that second game.

Last edited:

But look at a team like NC STate. Beat Duke and UNC-Cheats as part of five wins in five days. But before that they were outside the dance, so likely still only a 8-9 seed.

That's just an example. There are going to be lot of 6,7,8,9 seeds who are playing very well right now, and capable of beating 1,2,3 seeds in that second game.
No way NC State is an 8 or 9. I'm guessing 11 or 12.

Reactions: ruppcat
Agree, but if it's happening to everyone across the landscape and happening regularly, it is likely a signal that this is becoming the new norm for coaches and fans to expect (thanks NIL and trade portal...).

No, I'm not saying Kentucky should just accept our horrible coaching and random performances. I'm talking about how it's going to become the norm for the majority of the top 25 and field of 64 to have 7-12 losses. There will be very few teams, just like this year, with four or less losses in a season. In fact, I predict over the next few years it will be rare to see any top team with less than 5 losses.
This is exactly how I see things, too.

Reactions: chroix

Agreed. Although I can see someone figuring out a way to work NIL in some new way putting together a super team and basically buying the top ten recruits at some point. I hope it’s us but doubt it.

That's just an example. There are going to be lot of 6,7,8,9,10 seeds that are playing very well right now, and capable of beating 1,2,3 seeds in that second game.
I was not trying to predict 16-seeds winning, just suggesting that there may be more attention on the games and more drama than historically typical.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT