ADVERTISEMENT

**** 2015 NBA Draft Thread ****

Unfortunately I think he'll struggle to make it. Good size, but everything else is mediocre. Even in the concept of small ball, he isnt a good rebounder (especially for his size); so he doesnt factor in there. Ill be pleasantly surprised if he makes an NBA roster.

Im a little surprised Dakari wasnt a late 1st rounder. But I guess we shouldve seen that coming when there were reports of him being overweight and underperforming at a workout. Afterwards he moved to LA to train, but it mustve been too late.

The Harrisons and Dakari had athletic limitations that werent getting better, no matter how long they stayed in college. They made the right decision to go.

I wonder what Aaron is thinking this morning? This is why players come back. Calipari should be quite disappointed in this.

Okay, so who has done that?

He could also come back and just learn to be a great PG. That's as easy as adding eight percentage points to his average from three.

He came back this year and became a better defender, driver, finisher and teammate, and went undrafted.

So let's assume he comes back, improves again, and then what? Gets drafted 52nd? Still has to fight to make a roster with no guaranteed contract? At least now he has an extra year of earning power and can gain experience either in the D-League or overseas, where he can also improve as much or more than he could in a year at Kentucky with practice limits.

Since you posed the question. From this year's NBA first-round draft class alone:

1. Willie Cauley-Stein. Willie wasn't getting drafted at #6 following his sophomore season, much less his freshman season. And that's the reason he returned each year.

2. Frank Kaminsky. Nobody had heard of Kaminsky following his freshman and/or sophomore seasons, and he sure wasn't getting drafted at #9 following either of those seasons. He didn't get on the radar until his junior season. Kaminsky's return for his senior year was based upon his deliberate choice to earn his degree, make another run for a championship, and enjoy one last year of being in college.

3. Sam Dekker. Dekker wasn't getting drafted following his freshman and/or sophomore years, much less getting drafted at #18.

4. Jerian Grant. Grant wasn't getting drafted after his freshman or sophomore seasons, and he wasn't going in the first round following his junior season, much less at #19.

5. Delon Wright. Wright wasn't getting drafted following his freshman or sophomore seasons of junior college. And he wasn't getting drafted in the first round following his junior season at Utah. He went #20 in this year's draft.

6. Larry Nance. Nance wasn't getting drafted after his freshman or sophomore years. He likely still wasn't getting drafted following his junior year, much less at #27.

Let's face it, during their two seasons in Lexington neither of the Harrison twins were ever confused for tireless workers who were willing to make the changes or devote the hours to become elite players. One went in the middle of the second round. The other didn't get drafted. There were reasons for that.

Reactions: catben
Unfortunately I think he'll struggle to make it. Good size, but everything else is mediocre. Even in the concept of small ball, he isnt a good rebounder (especially for his size); so he doesnt factor in there. Ill be pleasantly surprised if he makes an NBA roster.

Im a little surprised Dakari wasnt a late 1st rounder. But I guess we shouldve seen that coming when there were reports of him being overweight and underperforming at a workout. Afterwards he moved to LA to train, but it mustve been too late.

The Harrisons and Dakari had athletic limitations that werent getting better, no matter how long they stayed in college. They made the right decision to go.

Pretty much have to agree with what you have said. I think Andrew will have to really work hard to remain in the league or may have to o Developmental League or overseas himself. Dakari could end up as a journeyman big man in the league but I doubt he ever becomes a starter. As for Aaron, there are just too many other SG's that are more attractive to teams than him and I'm afraid he will have to make his money overseas for awhile. I just don't think coming back would have helped any of those 3 from improving their draft status as you have already mentioned the reasons for. Plus, we have guys on the roster this year that would have made it tough for the Harrisons to improve stats or playing time. Of course, it could be argued that if they came back we would never have gotten Mulduhr or Murray but I'm ok with the way things turned out. I wish them all the best in achieving their dreams and hope all my doubts are wrong but I just don't see them as long term NBA guys.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I wish he had come back rather than jump into the draft. Playing in Italy or Spain is great. Playing in Israel is exciting. Then, playing overseas starts to get funky.

Moral to the story...there are a whole bunch of really good players out there all over the world, and we have been blessed as a fan base far beyond what many appreciate.

With the level of talent worldwide, it is far more impressive that Cal was able to recognize the talent of WCS and Booker and help them develop into lottery picks, than it is surprising that Aaron Harrison didn't get drafted. Frankly, most solid college players don't get drafted.

Moral to the story...there are a whole bunch of really good players out there all over the world, and we have been blessed as a fan base far beyond what many appreciate.

With the level of talent worldwide, it is far more impressive that Cal was able to recognize the talent of WCS and Booker and help them develop into lottery picks, than it is surprising that Aaron Harrison didn't get drafted. Frankly, most solid college players don't get drafted.

Agreed, but a lot more of them would if these teams would quit wasting picks on Euros.

Since you posed the question. From this year's NBA first-round draft class alone:

1. Willie Cauley-Stein. Willie wasn't getting drafted at #6 following his sophomore season, much less his freshman season. And that's the reason he returned each year.

2. Frank Kaminsky. Nobody had heard of Kaminsky following his freshman and/or sophomore seasons, and he sure wasn't getting drafted at #9 following either of those seasons. He didn't get on the radar until his junior season. Kaminsky's return for his senior year was based upon his deliberate choice to earn his degree, make another run for a championship, and enjoy one last year of being in college.

3. Sam Dekker. Dekker wasn't getting drafted following his freshman and/or sophomore years, much less getting drafted at #18.

4. Jerian Grant. Grant wasn't getting drafted after his freshman or sophomore seasons, and he wasn't going in the first round following his junior season, much less at #19.

5. Delon Wright. Wright wasn't getting drafted following his freshman or sophomore seasons of junior college. And he wasn't getting drafted in the first round following his junior season at Utah. He went #20 in this year's draft.

6. Larry Nance. Nance wasn't getting drafted after his freshman or sophomore years. He likely still wasn't getting drafted following his junior year, much less at #27.

Let's face it, during their two seasons in Lexington neither of the Harrison twins were ever confused for tireless workers who were willing to make the changes or devote the hours to become elite players. One went in the middle of the second round. The other didn't get drafted. There were reasons for that.

Fair enough, I left my point too vague.

What I meant was, once your stock starts to fall, it doesn't improve with time. Even granting you Dekker (who would have been a first round pick whenever he came out, he just wasn't expected to and therefore wasn't listed), the rest of those guys were relative unknowns that had to make a name for themselves.

That's like saying it's smart for Willis to come back and play another year at Kentucky--it goes without saying because there's no other real option. But for the guy who was once a lottery pick and now isn't, you don't see that reversed, particularly when they're limited athletically or with regards to size.

Again, Aaron and Andrew both played much, much better as sophomores. They improved a lot. And both were drafted lower than they would have been after their freshman year, which was lower than they would have been drafted out of high school. There's no reason to come back and let that trend continue, only to have a harder path with a year less money.

What I meant was, once your stock starts to fall, it doesn't improve with time. Even granting you Dekker (who would have been a first round pick whenever he came out, he just wasn't expected to and therefore wasn't listed), the rest of those guys were relative unknowns that had to make a name for themselves.

That's like saying it's smart for Willis to come back and play another year at Kentucky--it goes without saying because there's no other real option. But for the guy who was once a lottery pick and now isn't, you don't see that reversed, particularly when they're limited athletically or with regards to size.

Again, Aaron and Andrew both played much, much better as sophomores. They improved a lot. And both were drafted lower than they would have been after their freshman year, which was lower than they would have been drafted out of high school. There's no reason to come back and let that trend continue, only to have a harder path with a year less money.

I respect your point.

On the rare times I re-watched game video and focused solely on the Harrison brothers, I never came away with the impression that either was a first round pick. Having said that, I've never been on the payroll of any NBA franchise's scouting department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT