ADVERTISEMENT

**** 2015 NBA Draft Thread ****

Aaron Harrison is the perfect example on how coming back could improve the draft stock.

Work his azz off during the off season on shooting.. .work with a shooting coach and just become more consistent . Stop shooting 7 deep bombs a game and stick to just 3 or 4... get that 3pt % to 38 or higher and suddenly he's a guy who will get drafted

LMAO Dakari will be a pro for 10 years though he should of come back . what and moronic statment by a "uk fan" But you should never expect brains from a Nole lol

Gimme a break. Being a fan doesn't mean you just stick your head in the sand and blindly be biased and stupid.

He can't jump, can't shoot , can't block, and is a turnover machine. He was terrible this year. And there is no way he's in the NBA for 10 years. He'll be overseas within two.

Cane fan.[sick]

Reactions: WeaverChainz
Wow. He will still make a roster no doubt, but wow. He's going to make a lot of teams regret it.

Umm, sorry, but yes there IS doubt, PLENTY of doubt. Undrafted rookies face a major uphill climb. He'll get signed to someone's summer league team, but unless he just spectacularly impresses people this summer, Aaron may have to spend the next couple years proving himself in the D-League or overseas

Last edited:
Reactions: madison1329
I don't get it. In the NFL, teams spend a lot of money trying to find gems in the sixth and seventh rounds. It's like half the NBA teams blow off the second round and say "screw it, let's be the first team to take a guy from India." Aaron Harrison hit more clutch shots in the tournament than anyone I can remember, and I've been watching this game for 40 years. Why a San Antonio or Philadelphia wouldn't take a chance on him based on that instead of all these Europeans is beyond me.

I hope he tries out for Memphis and they both stick with the Grizzlies.

Living in San Antonio and following the Spurs, Pop doesn't put up with too much.....

You all know the list. You all know why we're the greatest program in college basketball history.

Tonight, we added to the list. The record for players drafted in a single, two round NBA draft is 6. We did that in 2012. It was matched tonight. We did it again.

We also set the record for most #1 overall picks by a single program when Towns became our third top selection in six years tonight.

As fans, we're in the middle of one of the greatest stretches anyone in this sport has ever seen, especially in the modern era. It's great to see the players who took us there going on to achieve their dreams, particularly when every single one has been a fantastic representative of this program on and off the court.

The best part? It all keeps building on itself. More draft picks yield more players. More players yield more wins. Enjoy this, and appreciate the history of what we're witnessing. It won't last forever.

'LOL because Dakari is Nazr part 2 and will play many many years in the NBA . Aaron is a shooting guard who didn't shoot well at all last year . Aaron will make a team and play a few years though .
Not only did Aaron not shoot well, he's not particularly physically gifted for his position. His brother is, at least in terms of size (though not in terms of general athleticism, which is why he went 2nd round).

People seem to ignore just how much physical ability plays into who is and isn't drafted, and where they're drafted. Doron Lamb goes 2nd round because he's a below-average athlete by NBA standards. Devin Booker goes #13 because he has a better body, and is more athletically gifted. In terms of what they did on the court in college, it was really, really similar. In terms of how the NBA views them, it was very, very different.

It's the same reason that MLB teams are always going to take the guy who can throw it 95+mph over the guy who struggles to hit 90. You go with the guys who have obvious qualifications to play at the highest level. And the thing is, none of this is really Aaron, Andrew, or Dakari's fault, and none of it was likely to be fixed by staying in college longer. None of them had the 95 mph fastball. When you put them against college competition, their athletic deficiencies got exposed. It's very hard to overcome that, unless you have some other form of elite ability.

Reactions: brianpoe
Players are who they are. An extra year wasn't going to do any more for his draft stock than this past year did. Andrew and Aaron are both much, much, MUCH better players than they were last season and yet both of their stocks plummeted.

I don't know how often it has to be explained, or why we go through this every year, but the longer teams look at you, unless you're a raw athletic freak who actually develops (like Willie did, or a guy like Blake Griffin), the more they pick at your flaws and the lower your upside is perceived to be.

If these guys want to play professional basketball (and they all do), their options are to go now and start trying to make a roster or play overseas, or come back and delay the same process by a year or more. Which 6'5 SG with average athleticism came back and improved his stock?

Yeah, this is exactly the type of flawed thinking that doesn't resonate at all with me.

The NBA doesn't draft solely based on athleticism/upside. They draft on skill, too. If he comes back for his Junior year and shoots 40% from 3 instead of 32%, adds a bit of variation to his offensive game and becomes a more efficient player overall, you don't think he'd have a better chance of being drafted? I think that's absolute nonsense.

Reactions: Tannerdad
Yep, his NBA chances are very slim at this point. Hopefully he separates himself in the summer league and lands somewhere.

How did Andrew make a mistake exactly?

Well it's not guaranteed, plus Aaron just went completely undrafted. They should have been more intellectual about it (imo) and split up.
Aaron is a shooting guard who shoots 32% from behind the arc, not THAT great of a shooter inside the arc and isn't THAT athletic.

LOVE him. Love him to death for what he did for our program... But I feel he made a very dire mistake by declaring. No I don't think he would have become some all world player by coming back another year, but if he came back, worked on his shooting and had a good year he could have definitely played his way into the first round- thus getting a sure fire contract and a couple million dolla$
Now he is looking at D-league most likely or overseas (I'm not sure how much "average" players make over there? Anyon I know? I know the superstars make boat loads of cash... But not sure of the average salary)

Yeah, this is exactly the type of flawed thinking that doesn't resonate at all with me.

The NBA doesn't draft solely based on athleticism/upside. They draft on skill, too. If he comes back for his Junior year and shoots 40% from 3 instead of 32%, adds a bit of variation to his offensive game and becomes a more efficient player overall, you don't think he'd have a better chance of being drafted? I think that's absolute nonsense.

Agree.

Cleveland could have won Game One of the finals this year if they had a guy willing to take that shot. Instead they all waited for Lebron to throw up a prayer. The ability to hit that shot is a skill. A rare skill at that.

Ouch, here's a question; had Aaron came out last year would be have been drafted? Same could be asked about lee, remember how he was a 1st rounder after the Michigan game? I do think lee could very well be a 1st rounder after next year again, if he plays to his ability of course. This is a hard lesson for guys to learn but hopefully kids in the future will realize just because you are a top 10 high school plays doesn't mean you get drafted at all.

I actually don't see him making a roster.

This is why a lot of us said it was a mistake for him to leave... could've came back, improved his skillset (shooting, in particular) and went early 2nd round next year if he really worked at it.

He'll make big money in Europe, but there's no denying that it was a mistake to leave at this point. And perhaps a costly one.
No mistake according to Cal...

Isn't it obvious? Aaron Harrison is a shooting guard who's a 32% three pt shooter.

....and also not an elite athlete, not much of a passer, has a limited handle, and not that good of a defender. Many of our fans have been seriously overrating Aaron for some time based on a few clutch tournament shots. Aside from those tourney shots, he's really not that good of an overall player and has a LOT of flaws in his game, and the longer he stayed at UK the more those flaws got exposed. I'm not surprised he went undrafted and I doubt another year would've made much difference in his draft stock.

The decision Aaron made to declare could turn out to be one of the most catastrophic decisions in his life.

Who knows, maybe he will improve and impress enough during workouts to be drafted? But idk how much can change ... If he was draftable I feel as though he would have shown that in the combines

Okay, so who has done that?

He could also come back and just learn to be a great PG. That's as easy as adding eight percentage points to his average from three.

He came back this year and became a better defender, driver, finisher and teammate, and went undrafted.

So let's assume he comes back, improves again, and then what? Gets drafted 52nd? Still has to fight to make a roster with no guaranteed contract? At least now he has an extra year of earning power and can gain experience either in the D-League or overseas, where he can also improve as much or more than he could in a year at Kentucky with practice limits.

Reactions: mj2k10
When Aaron air balled that shot at the end of the semifinals game, his head slumped and he figured that all NBA scouts were watching. I think at that moment he realized he had very little chance of getting drafted.
All his heroics of those last second shots that he made to save the team from losing, were forgotten at that point.
I really feel sorry for him.

Makes you wonder who the hell Aaron Harrison was listening to. I would of bet my house on him going undrafted which is how obvious it was.

Frustrating to say the least. Everyone knew it but I think he had this idea stuck in his head and had to do it. It was silly because he could have stayed another year or two and won a title and been the leading scorer for a title team that would do wonders. He could improve his shooting, his ball handling and off the ball skills.

They both needed to come back but Aaron especially. Playing for Kentucky is a lot better than playing overseas or in the NBDL.

Reactions: WeaverChainz
It is one of the biggest nights in UK history and to say other wise is silly. This is why we win - because we have the most talent . Is it 2nd biggest ? Hell no there were 8 bigger and IMO the draft with Wall and co was the 9th biggest because it announced UK and Cal was a machine .
Cal...himself...said the Wall, Cousins night was the biggest...why isn't this the second?

Aaron was a good college player. Not great. He got 2 years of college paid, has/had access to some top coaches and facilities. He will no doubt still make a great living playing a game.

The goal is to win games, right? Not accumulate assets or stack your roster with athletes who can't play. Without Aaron, we don't beat Louisville, Michigan or Wisconsin in 2014. We just don't. His own teammates were in awe of his guts, although they chose a different word. Why you would want some 7-5 goof from India who looked like he couldn't even run instead of a guy who will hit four or five game winners for you per year....no wonder so many teams cycle through their rosters every three years.

When Aaron air balled that shot at the end of the semifinals game, his head slumped and he figured that all NBA scouts were watching. I think at that moment he realized he had very little chance of getting drafted.
All his heroics of those last second shots that he made to save the team from losing, were forgotten at that point.
I really feel sorry for him.
Agree...to big of a burden on his shoulders

The goal is to win games, right? Not accumulate assets or stack your roster with athletes who can't play. Without Aaron, we don't beat Louisville, Michigan or Wisconsin in 2014. We just don't. His own teammates were in awe of his guts, although they chose a different word. Why you would want some 7-5 goof from India who looked like he couldn't even run instead of a guy who will hit four or five game winners for you per year....no wonder so many teams cycle through their rosters every three years.

Mavs going after Danny Green and Aldridge. Alot of you posters don't keep up with the league.

You'd rather play for free and then go face the same situation a year later with less money?

Next year's draft won't even be as good as this one. I would hope to win a title and put to rest the two previous fails, have more accomplishments under my belt to where I could hope to get on towards the end of the first rd.

Without Aaron, we don't beat Louisville, Michigan or Wisconsin in 2014.

And we also don't beat Notre Dame in the Elite 8 this year. There's no disputing his clutch shot pedigree, that's an amazing legacy he can be proud of for the rest of his life.

BUT a few clutch shots in the tourney do not make him an NBA player. And, unfortunately, when you look past those shots, there actually a LOT of glaring problems with his game: he does not have good shooting percentages overall, is not an elite defender, not an elite athlete, not an elite passer, not an elite ballhandler, etc. His tourney shots don't carry much sentimental value with NBA scouts when weighed against all those flaws.

Last edited:
Take the blue goggles off bro.

There's literally nothing in my post that could be viewed as Kentucky bias.

Next year's draft won't even be as good as this one. I would hope to win a title and put to rest the two previous fails, have more accomplishments under my belt to where I could hope to get on towards the end of the first rd.

Yeah, and this year's draft wasn't as good as last year's, and if they had gone last year I bet both twins get drafted, with Andrew maybe sneaking into the first round, despite it being a stronger draft and them being worse players. Why is that?

And you didn't answer me. You'd work for free instead of getting paid to do what you love and chose as a career?

Gotta hurt with one brother being drafted and the other one not. Probably not a happy household right now. I can't imagine. Hate it actually.

It's usually pretty easy to read body language, especially when it's our own team. The twins in life I think worked hard, but not as hard as they could have. Their body language got better this yr but they always struck me as 2 kids that got everything they ever wanted which is great. Problem is when it comes to the nba you have no more connections nor are you guaranteed anything. That's one thing that hurt them but it's not everyday you have twins who are ranked top 5 out of high school. Was it Aaron or Andrew who made the slang term against the tank in the press conference? If it was Aaron, I could see that being a red flag much like bilas saying Alexander bad mouthed Kansas cutting him loose.

Scouts weren't impressed with Johnny Unitas, Tom Brady, Terrell Davis...the list goes on and on of players who performed at the college level but not at the combines. Maybe this is the best thing for Aaron. He has to prove he's not too good to fight for it now. I saw a lot of players in the finals this year who weren't elite athletes yet could still contribute in a big way, and a few elite athletes who couldn't perform at all.

Cal...himself...said the Wall, Cousins night was the biggest...why isn't this the second?
Before you stir that pot, let me throw some ingredients in:

4 FF's
2 finals
A DASH of 2012 national championship
And a great shot AGAIN next year
And to top it off. Best start in ANY PROGRAM history, yes that includes UK.

Let it cool before serving

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT