ADVERTISEMENT

••OFFICIAL MISSISSIPPI STATE VS KENTUCKY GAME THREAD••

There was nothing wrong with DJ's play tonight. He is taking the shots that he needs to take and he isn't forcing shots or being selfish.
I think his confidence was a little down . Didn’t seem to show the same leadership between plays as he usually does . He did have a pretty rough stretch .

With that said I don’t get why sold fans have jumped with Edwards in terms of struggling .

You said we got lucky to win against Mizzou now this. You’re a contrarian troll with horrible takes game in and game out. We just dropped 90 on a top 10 defensive team.
He is being a little bit extra for sure, but some of his concerns are valid. The defense in the 2nd half was bad, and the rebounding is what is keeping Kentucky from building bigger leads

Reactions: KYExtemper
There was nothing wrong with DJ's play tonight. He is taking the shots that he needs to take and he isn't forcing shots or being selfish.

There was a ton wrong with it, culminating with that ill-advised "im gonna get mine" 3pointer at the end, and not getting back on defense to allow MSU an easy dunk.

0 assists is also unacceptable for a supposedly elite PG with killer wings around him. Said this days ago, he's not a PG. He's a combo guard, and honestly maybe more of an undersized 2-guard that specializes in slashing. I think tonights performance drops his APG down into the 3's and that's just not good enough. TAM he was out-assisted by Tre.

I'd start to think about seeing what Dilly could do at the point to start or even Shep.

I don't see how anyone is complaining about this game. State just knocked off UT. We were up nearly 20 at halftime. Ho hum second half but a 13 point win is pretty pretty good. We doubled cover IIRC.
The defense in the second half wasn’t great but that’s whatever. The rebounding is something people should be upset about, it’s a major concern. They are slow to the ball and they ball watch

Same stale posters finding ways to bitch about this win. Not surprised. Really impressed with tonight minus the 1st few minutes of the 2nd half. This team just scored 90 on a top 10 defensive team in KenPom.
They haven't played ANYONE outside of Tennessee. Have you looked at their schedule? Great seeing you in the game thread!

Reactions: blubo
I don't know how anyone can be happy with that 2nd half but was angry that A&M shot 40%. Make it make sense.

Cats shot better but MSU had more points, more 3's, more rebounds, more assists and fewer turnovers in the 2nd half.

A road game that I though might be an easy one for UK, is looking like it will be grind it out brawl now. LSU is playing better now

I think his confidence was a little down . Didn’t seem to show the same leadership between plays as he usually does . He did have a pretty rough stretch .

With that said I don’t get why sold fans have jumped with Edwards in terms of struggling .
I just think at this point Edwards needs to come off the bench so that he isn't facing opponents' best players. Also, his minutes should be greatly limited.

They haven't played ANYONE outside of Tennessee. Have you looked at their schedule? Great seeing you in the game thread!

Yeah but they are top 10 in ADJUSTED defensive efficiency.

Adjusted for ........Strength of Schedule.

That team is every bit a top 10 defensive team and their numbers vs SEC teams will prove that.

Reactions: SophiesDad
And they beat Tennessee. They’ve played the entire year without one of the best big men in the SEC up to a couple games ago. They’re a top 30ish team. I was impressed with the bounce back win tonight outside of the opening to the 2nd half.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I came back home to see my dad and this was our first time seeing the Cats live since 2016. I thought we looked pretty good in the first, second got a little sloppy at times. We’re never going be an elite defensive or rebounding team, but we got to clean it up some these next couple months. Either way, nice to be back at Rupp to see the Cats!

Yeah but they are top 10 in ADJUSTED defensive efficiency.

Adjusted for ........Strength of Schedule.

That team is every bit a top 10 defensive team and their numbers vs SEC teams will prove that.
We'll see. We didn't even really get after it. If they face a good team that does, they'll lose by even more.

We need to move away from the whole who did Team X play.
It's 2024. The data accounts for things like this.

Two years ago we played a team in the NCAA tournament that came into that tournament in the top 25 in defense. No one paid it any mind. And we all saw what happened.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I shouldn’t but I though LSU and vandy would be two that should be wins, but LSU is plying good, and vandy always plays Kentucky better in rupp than they do down in Nashville
We are good but young and I think that is what makes the road games tough . I think road games were a lot less tough to win at back in the day when the elite teams were veteran teams .

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
There was nothing wrong with DJ's play tonight. He is taking the shots that he needs to take and he isn't forcing shots or being selfish, and shot 37% from the field and only helped other UK players score points twice as the primary PG.

fify (Apologies for the actual stats...)

Reactions: blubo
He is being a little bit extra for sure, but some of his concerns are valid. The defense in the 2nd half was bad, and the rebounding is what is keeping Kentucky from building bigger leads
He always makes irrelevant, pointless posts to diminish a win. UK getting to the line as much as we did tonight is a positive since we haven’t got there a lot per game

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Def eff dropped from 55 to 61 after giving up 29 first half pts because the 2nd half especially the end we just gifted them tons of pts.

Off eff moved up from 8 to 4th though

Reactions: UK67KU59
We are good but young and I think that is what makes the road games tough . I think road games were a lot less tough to win at back in the day when the elite teams were veteran teams .
The one this Tuesday is gonna be interesting. We are better than SCAR, but they play Kentucky good in that building and they have a guard who is capable of going for 40

He always makes irrelevant, pointless posts to diminish a win. UK getting to the line as much as we did tonight is a positive since we haven’t got there a lot per game
Yeah I don’t get the FT point from him, that’s a good skillset for teams to have. I can’t figure out what his angle is on here. He takes shots at the team alot, but then gets made at others for doing the same.

Def eff dropped from 55 to 61 after giving up 29 first half pts because the 2nd half especially the end we just gifted them tons of pts.

Off eff moved up from 8 to 4th though

Kinda makes sense.
We put up 1.29 ppp on the number 9 defensive team (now all the way down to 17th btw)
Conversely we gave up 111.1 on a team that's currently 68th in offense

To put those numbers in context. That 1.29 was the most Miss St has given up all season and the next closest one wasn't even close (Alabama at 113.0). That's how good we were on offense today.

Having said that, the 1.11 given up was the 6th highest for their offense and the other 5 were against really poor teams.

Cats 4 the win!
Thor-UK-g2.gif

GEFu7b0XoAAUp_z

Reactions: BBUK
I agree, and as you know from being an NBA fan, moving guys to and from the bench can be very valuable in "kickstarting" their shot making ability.

Maybe Edwards just needs a few games against the other teams 2nd unit.
Yup i agree 100% sometimes that is what gets a guy going . He’s the only one that hasn’t really and a complete game yet . It has to be tough knowing your stock has fallen from top 5 to not mentioned at all .

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
You said we got lucky to win against Mizzou now this. You’re a contrarian troll with horrible takes game in and game out. We just dropped 90 on a top 10 defensive team. Quad 1 win in the books in a game we led by double digits the vast majority of.
If they didn’t foul us every trip down we wouldn’t have shot FT’s lol.

• Haha
I don't see how anyone is complaining about this game. State just knocked off UT. We were up nearly 20 at halftime. Ho hum second half but a 13 point win is pretty pretty good. We doubled cover IIRC.

On top of that State played good as well. Defense was better...poor second half but strong first half. Baby steps. Need to get rebounding under control. Easier said that done. Thiero would help...hope he comes back, starting to get nervous.
That will help so much, I hope he returns too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT