ADVERTISEMENT

Zion and Pelicans agree to 5 year max rookie extension

Just another one of the Rat Faced Bastards bought and paid for by Nike under performers so far. What's the odds on him staying healthy the whole year next year ??

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Agree with all the other posters who think this move is extremely risky and could turn out to be disastrously stupid.

If he's worth that much, why didn't they trade him prior to the draft and load up on talent that may actually physically be able to play? Pels were 8th seed this year without him. Add a couple of players via a trade and get a bunch of draft picks - can't see how they get worse. Now, if he proves to be brittle again, his contract and health will make it almost impossible to trade.

Huge gamble that could hamper the franchise for 5+ years.

nba is about marketability more than actually winning or even playing the games

Older I get I’ve learned there’s a LOOOOT of dumb people with sizable money. Makes no sense logically.
And to be honest, there are more dumb people who think they are smart and lack money. Wonder why that is.

So in a Hail Mary to save their own personal jobs, they gambled that amount with High Risk?
High risk, high reward. I totally get it was a gamble. And it could come back to bite them in the ass big time. 1 year ago, he averaged 27ppg, 7rpg and an all-star. I don’t think it’s a hell mary…I think it’s a small market team who has seen him in action since May taking a gamble (big one at that).

You’re a franchise who has won 1 playoff series since moving to New Orleans 19 years ago with a .461 franchise winning percentage. I think it was worth the gamble…but also totally understand those that would have moved on from him.

Not sure what else NO was supposed to do- IMO they had to give him that contract, keep the #1 pick, who when healthy is very, very good- big Suns fans but without Zion the Pelicans gave the Suns all the wanted in 1st round of playoffs last yr

Underperformed? He averaged 22 ppg his rookie season and 27 ppg his second season
Yes…when he played. The issue is games played and being overweight.

it’s a gamble on the pelicans part but I think they are doing the right thing. Zion is a freak and New Orleans isn’t a traditional power so if he is showing improvement w the weight issue at all you have tk take that gamble and not let him go and then blow up into an all star somewhere else…..worst case you just keep being the pelicans of old

And the Loyal order of the Moose taunted Lard Ass as he came up to the stage: “Boom baba, Boom baba, Boom baba….Boom baba Boom baba, Boom!”

I feel you’re not being serious, but if so, that’s the best way to tell people that you’ve never watched a single second of basketball ever.
actually, he's right.....

from ESPN:

During his rookie season, he averaged 22.5 points per game and shot 58.3% overall. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Williamson was the second rookie in NBA history to average 20 points while shooting at least 55% from the field, joining Shaquille O'Neal (1992-93).

He also was the first teenager to score 20 points in 10 consecutive games, according to ESPN Stats & Information, and he accomplished that by his 15th career game.

During the 2020-21 season, Williamson averaged 27 points and 7.2 rebounds per game while shooting 61.1% from the field. His scoring average was the highest of any player in NBA history who shot over 60% from the field in a season.

Williamson was named an All-Star during his sophomore season and was a late selection to start the game. He became the fourth-youngest All-Star starter, behind only Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Magic Johnson.

Over his final 20 games of the season, Williamson's scoring increased to 29.6 points per game as he scored at least 30 points in 11 of those contests. Williamson had a stretch of 25 consecutive games with 20 or more points while shooting 50% or better from the field, joining O'Neal in 2001 as the only players to accomplish that in NBA history.

Toward the end of the year, Williamson became the 12th player in NBA history to score at least 2,000 points in his first 80 games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He became only the second player to do so in the past 40 seasons and the first to do so since Michael Jordan.

Williamson also saw his assists average jump from 2.1 to 3.7 as he assumed more ballhandling duties as the Pelicans unleashed "Point Zion" under former coach Stan Van Gundy. Whether he resumes those duties under Willie Green remains to be seen.

from ESPN:

During his rookie season, he averaged 22.5 points per game and shot 58.3% overall. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Williamson was the second rookie in NBA history to average 20 points while shooting at least 55% from the field, joining Shaquille O'Neal (1992-93).

He also was the first teenager to score 20 points in 10 consecutive games, according to ESPN Stats & Information, and he accomplished that by his 15th career game.

During the 2020-21 season, Williamson averaged 27 points and 7.2 rebounds per game while shooting 61.1% from the field. His scoring average was the highest of any player in NBA history who shot over 60% from the field in a season.

Williamson was named an All-Star during his sophomore season and was a late selection to start the game. He became the fourth-youngest All-Star starter, behind only Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Magic Johnson.

Over his final 20 games of the season, Williamson's scoring increased to 29.6 points per game as he scored at least 30 points in 11 of those contests. Williamson had a stretch of 25 consecutive games with 20 or more points while shooting 50% or better from the field, joining O'Neal in 2001 as the only players to accomplish that in NBA history.

Toward the end of the year, Williamson became the 12th player in NBA history to score at least 2,000 points in his first 80 games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He became only the second player to do so in the past 40 seasons and the first to do so since Michael Jordan.

Williamson also saw his assists average jump from 2.1 to 3.7 as he assumed more ballhandling duties as the Pelicans unleashed "Point Zion" under former coach Stan Van Gundy. Whether he resumes those duties under Willie Green remains to be seen.
The all star game is a popularity contest and always has been. Jamal Mashburn was a great NBA player and was constantly left off teams because he wasn't a fan fav.

from ESPN:

Actually you’re both wrong. How can you be declared top 10 of all time, that’s what he declared him with only playing 85 career games?? He wasn’t even top 10 in the current league. You do realize PPG doesn’t automatically put you in top 10 best players, right?? There’s many factors and he doesn’t qualify for that. He could become top 10 in the league and potentially top 5, in the current league. He will never and mark this down, never be top 10 best players ever. Name won’t even be in the conversation for it. It’s doubtful he will ever become top 25 best players ever. Now hush with the nonsense. When he averages those numbers for a FULL 82 game schedule and then leads his team to a championship, then he may sneak into the Top 10 best current players.

Giannis
Jokic
Doncic
Steph
Kat
Tatum
Booker
Butler
Embiid
AD
Lebron

That’s over 10 current players who are better off the top of my head, I know I’m forgetting a ton of them tho. He isn’t even in the same conversation as any of these guys. That doesn’t mean he can’t get into this conversation, but he will have to stay healthy and produce for a full season and post season.

I'm not a huge Zion fan... Mostly because he is a Dookie and has underperformed so far.

With that said he is losing weight and working on his game more. I have a feeling he turns things around and has a decent career. Call me crazy but I think that's what happens. If not it will be top 10 busts in NBA history
With a couple of knee and hip replacements, maybe he could make it half way through this contract.

Expected more snack cake pics.
homemade-twinkies-051021-TOH-11.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT