ADVERTISEMENT

Zagoria: Purdue will be the new #1 but it won't matter until they perform in March

Got that right. Melt city
Hopefully we got something for the Big Guy in March if we meet Purdue.

They looked pretty good, and that big fella is a load. He is just so much bigger than everybody else, I actually wanted him to play against Hunter Dickinson and see how that went. It was better for Kansas to get the loss so they didn't gain any ground on us.

They looked pretty good, and that big fella is a load. He is just so much bigger than everybody else, I actually wanted him to play against Hunter Dickinson and see how that went. It was better for Kansas to get the loss so they didn't gain any ground on us.
They played in the same conference for years.

I always think opinions like this are a bit overblown. The tournament is extremely hard to win. That's not excuse losing in the first round to a 16 seed, but it is the reality of the tournament. There are often narratives around teams or coaches that they can't win in March and all it takes is a few unlucky tournaments to get there.

Villanova always couldn't win in March until they suddenly did and won two titles in three years. Virginia was a choke artist and then won the title. Gonzaga is often talked down on this board despite making however many straight sweet 16s and a title game recently.

I hate judging the success of a coach or team based on a really small sample size of tournaments, or worse one specific tournament. Purdue is looking great this year and they're a title favorite. What happened last year shouldn't change that.

I always think opinions like this are a bit overblown. The tournament is extremely hard to win. That's not excuse losing in the first round to a 16 seed, but it is the reality of the tournament. There are often narratives around teams or coaches that they can't win in March and all it takes is a few unlucky tournaments to get there.

Villanova always couldn't win in March until they suddenly did and won two titles in three years. Virginia was a choke artist and then won the title. Gonzaga is often talked down on this board despite making however many straight sweet 16s and a title game recently.

I hate judging the success of a coach or team based on a really small sample size of tournaments, or worse one specific tournament. Purdue is looking great this year and they're a title favorite. What happened last year shouldn't change that.
I had Purdue rated way behind where the polls had them all last year. They were a flawed team with little chance of winning anything, imo.

I haven’t run any numbers yet this year.

A 5 year run like that is a failure for UK fans?

Makes no sense. Assuming that would be the minority or otherwise would be a miserable existence.
Makes all the sense in the world if you had any grasp of our history.

Winning at the highest levels and demanding success - I’ve never found it miserable. The championships and Final Fours are worth whatever “misery” is born of calling out poor performance.

A 5 year run with 1 Elite Eight and 1 Sweet 16 qualifies as a poor performance around here. If I was good with that, I would just go cheer for Tennessee. Or Iowa.

Same applies to us really. No way this team isn't top 5-10 with this class if we hadn't sh*t the bed the last few years. We had many teams not as good as this one get more respect preseason when the media and others actually still had faith in Cal due to that first run.

Just need to prove the doubters wrong and that will flip.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Makes all the sense in the world if you had any grasp of our history.

Winning at the highest levels and demanding success - I’ve never found it miserable. The championships and Final Fours are worth whatever “misery” is born of calling out poor performance.

A 5 year run with 1 Elite Eight and 1 Sweet 16 qualifies as a poor performance around here. If I was good with that, I would just go cheer for Tennessee. Or Iowa.
Damn right!

Reactions: Aike
Not exactly like it, but not that different from DePaul in the late '70s into the early '80s. They did make a final four in 1979, but most of the years they were out of the tournament quick. Many of those years they were number one for almost the entire year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT