ADVERTISEMENT

Your last flight

syrus12

All-American
Jun 15, 2006
who did you fly with? How was the experience?

Mine was roughly 4 years ago with Delta. It was not an awful experience, but you couldn’t pay me to do it now. Barring multiple family emergencies…I may never fly again. I’d honestly rather drive.

Reactions: GeraldV
Work trip to Charlotte on American, was going to take a pto day on Friday to go hiking in the area with a friend but Hurricane Ian cut it short and caused my return flight that evening to be cancelled.

Was up early that day and headed over to the airport in the morning and was able to board a flight about 15 minutes after going thru the TSA line. A pleasant experience given the circumstances, plus seems like American uses bigger planes out of Louisville than most so it was no problem getting an earlier flight.

Round trip from Louisville to NYC back in August. American Airlines and it was a direct flight. First flight left on time and 2nd flight left 10 minutes early. Wifi didn’t work well but other than that it was exactly what you’d expect a short, direct flight to be

I think I last took American up to DC (from Raleigh) in Sept (work trip, new job).
Don't mind flying, I sleep so easy on a plane, even the short 1-hr flights to DC.
I've let my TSA-precheck expire, so I need to renew that, but well worth the investment, even though the pre-check lines have gotten longer.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
I grew up afraid of flying. My older brothers would sail me off the roof on a kite when I was 12. By the time I was 18 and went into the military I could fly with the best of them. If you're not a professional flighter there is no way you're beating me.

Lexington to Dallas Ft Worth to Lake Charles since American and United is our hub lines. AA much better imo vs United, fly about 80 times a year all across the south most of it smooth except for some of the mask freaks 🍺

I always try to take the first flight out.

Over the summer I flew from Dulles to San Antonio RT, 6-8 times.

Flew United each time. The only delay I had was the only time I attempted to fly in the afternoon.

Also, seating is terrible now. I am decent height, but no one accuses me of being overweight. Anything but an aisle seat is miserable.

Flew to Mexico mid-November for vacation on a nonstop flight (Viva Aerobus). Sat on the plane at the terminal for ~2 hours waiting for CVG to get someone available to load the bags onto the plane.

Flew to Vegas six months ago for a long weekend. My wife came down with Covid on the second day (probably caught it on the flight). So that sucked.

Round trip from Cincy to New York and back for my honeymoon with my wife this past June. Newark Airport wasn't as terrible for us as everyone says

Yesterday...lex to Baltimore with layover in Charlotte for work. About 50 minutes in air on each flight.

Coming back tomorrow.

I fly pretty frequently for work. I don't mind it, but it sucks you can't get much direct out of lex.

November 2020
Roundtrip Nashville to Denver
Delta
It was fine for covid era. I kinda liked the empty airports and planes tbh.

The way there was standard medium length flight. The way back - ate my last few gummies right before I walked in the airport. Pretty mellow flight. My carryon was just a backpack full of snacks and I crushed them.

This past June for vacation...Flew from Lexington to Bozeman Montana with a connecting flight in Dallas on American for trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Jackson Wyoming. It was a great experience. No cancellations or delays. I was pleasantly surprised and very satisfied with it.

Reactions: chroix
1992 flew Southwest from Chicago to Nashville. Nothing wrong just never had opportunity to fly again.

Flew from Cincy to Ft Lauderdale a couple weeks ago on Allegiant.

No issues.......

Flying out of K'ville to Ft Lauderdale next week on Allegiant for a cruise. However, I booked the flight a day early in case it gets cancelled and I can drive to Lauderdale.

My last flight was 7 years ago. Have no idea what airline it was. I was traveling with one of the college teams I was working with, and the team's staff handled all that stuff.

Flying costs too much and I'm not really much of an overnight traveler anyways since I can't sleep for shit in hotels.

Mine was roughly 4 years ago with Delta. It was not an awful experience, but you couldn’t pay me to do it now. Barring multiple family emergencies…I may never fly again. I’d honestly rather drive.

Before Covid I would fly at least twice a week. Would rather fly than drive almost anywhere. It's so freaking easy, man. Even if you have the worst seat in coach, it's better than being in a car for more than 3 hours - and here's why:

1. Time: Let's say you are going from Louisville to Houston. You can be there in 1 hour and 45 minutes if you fly or 13 if you drive. Or Califiornia... 5 hour flight or 40 hour drive. Or how about Europe? It would take you like 9 days to get there if you drove to NYC and took a ship to England.
  2. Safety: The last US commercial airlines crash was in 2009. Meanwhile, 46,000 people die a year in car crashes. Another 4 million were seriously injured. It's been 0 and like 5, per year, from the airlines.
  3. Relaxation: Go to the airport an hour early. Have a (yes, overpriced) beer. Get on the plane and fall asleep. Wake up where you are trying to go. Alternatively, focus on driving for X amount of hours. I'll take the flight.
So there you go, pal. Flying 1 million. Driving 0.

My last flight was 7 years ago. Have no idea what airline it was. I was traveling with one of the college teams I was working with, and the team's staff handled all that stuff.

Flying costs too much and I'm not really much of an overnight traveler anyways since I can't sleep for shit in hotels.
Your last line is absolutely true for me. I've been gone a week at a time before where I slept 8 to 10 hours total the whole week. Monday through Thursday night anyway. I really need windows to open. Hotel rooms that do not have windows that open are a problem for me.

I posted this on Sunday in D-League:

All’s well that ends well - I suppose.

We should learn our lesson and not leave the country, particularly around these holidays. But we won’t stop as long as DS’s family can only all get together at this time and we won’t miss the chance being with them for as long as we remain healthy. And they want warm and sunny.

So they picked Grand Cayman. We got mid-80’s, enough sun to get totally burned if you wanted, and low humidity. Perfect. Nice place but beaches are so-so. Expensive as can be for food and gas (Can't take it with us, can we?). Great tour of snorkeling, holding stingrays, and starfish hunting. Vieques much better in that regard.

Anyway, intended to fly all the way home Friday Dec. 23. Should know better, but had United connection thru Newark - DDIL picked that for best price & times. So we get to Newark perfectly on time at 6:20p. Then pilot says gate blocked by mechanical problem on plane at our gate. After 3+ hours moving around tarmac, we got to unload. Meanwhile our Cincy flight had departed at 8:15. So they put us in a re-booking line along with many others. After an hour, DIL went looking for a rental van for the 6 of us while we continued in line. Just before midnight into Dec 24, a) we got rebooked splitting us 3/3 between tonight & tomorrow morning & b) DIL procured a minivan.

We took the van option. I presumed we'd find a hotel & leave in the morning of Dec. 24. Bitterly cold & windy - like KY. But nope, son & DIL said we were leaving immediately and drive the thru the night - 10 hours in good conditions. I would never do that today & doubt I would have at their 40's ages. But off we went.

About 4:30a we were low on gas in middle of nowhere off PA Turnpike & stopped. Most of the station's pumps were frozen (-10 degrees). Finally found one that worked and started pumping - gas came out slowly. After 7-8 gallons, shut off because tanks empty. Holy crapola! I call it the Miracle of Gasoline that we got what we did. Don't know what would have happened w/o any. From there it was blowing snow & patches of ice to Cincy. Took 13 hours. I was surprised we made it that fast. Kids did a good job driving - how I don't know. I'm not exaggerating that we saw over a hundred cars that had slid off the road, some fresh.

Of course everyone was totally shot. Feel good today though.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

• Wow
If its over 4-5 hours i'm flying, 3-4 times per year. My AMEX is a Skymiles card so usually have enough to miles from everyday shopping to get 1 or 2 free flights per year. If its a flight over 2 hr i'm sitting in First, period.

If its a flight over 2 hr i'm sitting in First, period.

If money is no object, sure. But I think the plane makes a big difference re: first class v coach if money is a consideration.
  • Boeing 737, 757, 787 and 777s are too narrow in coach... a little over 17 inches. That's trash.
  • CRJ-200 - right at 17 inches. You might as well kill yourself if you have to take that flight and there usually is no first class on it.
  • Boeing 767 is 18 inches
  • Airbus for almost all models also has 18 inch seat widths
  • I actually prefer the ERJ-170s, which is 2-2 in coach and have an 18 inch width. Take the first coach row on that and you have basically unlimited foot room plus a decently wide seat.

Vern finally admitted that his takes on Calipari were boneheaded. There's still time to recant your Levis take before you are banished into the hinterlands forever.

Last edited:
Louisville to Chicago on American (and back) flight to Chicago is less than an hour in the air but the taxi after landing was 20 freaking minutes. Flight itself was fine. Drove from Chicago up to various stops in Southern Wisconsin.

Vern finally admitted that his takes on Calipari were boneheaded. There's still time to recant your Levis take before you are banished into the hinterlands forever.
Even if he goes top 5 I'm holding out hope he is Zach Wilson 2.0!

Have been on over 100 flights this year with maybe 3 delays total. Have pre-check + CLEAR for the large airports, and have a Sky Lounge and Admirals Club membership. Fly 1st class probably 90% of the time for work. Am basically a travel snob now.

Only takeaway is that Louisville is an easy airport, but you‘re pretty limited with good direct flight options.

Haven't flown since I retired in 2016, but on the last flight I took was the leg from Atlanta to Tri-Cities (TN). It's usually a 30-40 minute flight, but there was a couple on there with 3 toddlers who were screaming/crying at an ear splitting pitch that started on the tarmac in Atlanta and was still going strong as we left the plane in TN. The expression on the flight attendants basically said HOLY F*** the entire flight, which seemed like 8 hours instead of 35 minutes. We haven't flown since because of our dog, but when he passes away, we're going to start flying to East TN when we go visit instead of driving.

I probably have flown 30 times. Not a big fan of heights but could deal with it. Haven't flown since 1994. Can't remember if it was United through Chicago or Delta through Atlanta to get back home to Louisville from Omaha. Just never really had the time or money after that last flight until I got married in 2001. Was to busy and broke getting reacclimated to civilian life after I got out of the Air Force in 95.

I only drive when I travel anymore. Just don't like spending like 3 or 4 times as much flying and not having my own vehicle to drive around when I get where I'm going. Plus I'm not sure I could handle flying anymore to be honest. I had a bad experience going up to the observation deck in the Willis (Sears) Tower. Feeling that building swaying about gave me an anxiety attack. I think what happened on 9/11 subconsciously added to it. You'll probably have to treat me like B.A. Baracus to get me to fly anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT