ADVERTISEMENT

Your home audio/theater setup

LineSkiCat14

All-American
Aug 5, 2015
Curious what everyone has for their home audio and theater setup, more so pertaining to music and smart enabled devices.

I've been asked by some direct family members what I would like for Christmas, and realized I'm a bit behind the times on my home audio. I currently run a entry-mid range receiver with two tower speakers and a sub. My phone can quickly BT connect to it for Spotify and other music. I also have a portable BT speaker, but it's really meant more for travel than keeping in another room in the house.

I've always wondered about Sonos, and saw an add for the Sonos One for $199, Seems like a good "smart" device to dive into with Alexa integration. But looking into it, I'm not sure what it really accomplishes.. No BT or 3.5 jack for legacy stuff. No Spotify controls. And it seems to be simply for music. Not sure why I would need a Sonos eco-system when I have a more legit stereo system (it is just in one room, so check 1 point for Sonos).

Anyone use Sonos, or something similar like the Bose Link? What are you current setups?

jblsound.jpg

We have a Yamaha Sound bar sub woofer combo. It sounds great. We watch TV in our living room so big sound in a small package was important.

Lol, like 2 worth while posts.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

..but seriously, Sonos users out there?

A friend of mine has Sonos in his house, but I haven't paid much attention to it. They seem to like it. Sometimes they grill out or have a fire pit in their backyard and bring out one of the modules for outside music. My only opinion was that it seemed convenient but was pricey for what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32
We have a Yamaha Sound bar sub woofer combo. It sounds great. We watch TV in our living room so big sound in a small package was important.

We just got the yamaha soundbar as well. How the hell do you hook it up? Got an HDMI cord and cannot get it to work with my brand new LG smart tv. Help.

Are home audio systems still a thing? I remember in the 90s it was a big deal what stereo you had for playing CDs and whatnot, remember wanting a kenwood really bad for Christmas one year. But nowadays with iPhones and music being digital and TVs sounding so good I do t really see a point unless you're a hardcore audiophile, seems like a relic from the past.

Are home audio systems still a thing? I remember in the 90s it was a big deal what stereo you had for playing CDs and whatnot, remember wanting a kenwood really bad for Christmas one year. But nowadays with iPhones and music being digital and TVs sounding so good I do t really see a point unless you're a hardcore audiophile, seems like a relic from the past.

An audiophile won't touch an iPhone, Beats or most generic streaming services.

It's a world the average person doesn't see.. But spend an hour or two in a home theater store, play with the equipment and talk to the staff. If you like music, it's worth the investment..

Well, some of it.. There's speakers out there that cost close to half a million and you need to go through interviews before they will sell them to you. That's a little overkill.

Yamaha RX-V667 A/V Receiver

Pair of Definitive Technology Mythos Two speakers mounted on either side of my 65" LG HDTV, DefTech Mythos Three Center Channel sits on the entertainment center underneath.

MartinLogan satellite surround speakers

Pair of 10" subwoofers (One MartinLogan, One Jamo)

Receiver is circa 2010, does not have network/bluetooth capabilities. I use a HTPC and an Android set top box to provide those features.

And Plex. Just bought lifetime Plex Pass this weekend to play with the Live TV/DVR functionality.

I was about to agree with you until you got to the part about "TVs sounding so good." Most TVs sound pretty bad at best. Watching movies with the sound from a TV is nothing near as good as watching movies with even a decent sound system.

Overpriced garbage...way overpriced.

Seems like the only nifty feature is the ability to connect multiple rooms. I'm trying to find its value but I'm struggling.

Build a home stereo, run speaker B connection in another room.. Doubles as your theater/movie/game system as well.. And you can still use Bluetooth, streaming services, records etc.. The only downside is the complicated remote/input process.

Seems like the only nifty feature is the ability to connect multiple rooms. I'm trying to find its value but I'm struggling.

Not the same league, but I have a few Echos throughout the house and you can group them all together to play whatever music you want.

Clearly a poor man's version, but I am more interested in automating my home. I just recently splurged on a Haiku fan and fully enjoying the integrations with Alexa and Nest. A fine high end product made in Lexington, KY.

I've downgraded over the years. I started with some full size Cerwin Vega speakers with 12" subs in it. I had them in the basement of my old house and when turned halfway up they would shake the whole upstairs it seemed. I then went to some smaller full size DCM speakers (sold at Circuit City). They sounded good and I used them for probably 7 or 8 years before finally deciding to save space and go with the bookshelf style speakers.

They are some 3 way Sony speakers. I use them with an old 500w Sony receiver that I've probably had for over 10 years. I tried replacing it with a Yamaha receiver, but didn't care for it and went back to old reliable. I also still use the same surround sound speakers and sub for over 10 years and they still sound great (JBL center and surrounds and Polk Audio sub). I'm amazed how good everything still sounds after so many years. About the only change I might do in the near future (barring problems) is to switch to a 7.1 system from the 5.1.

If I want to stream music, I usually just do it through a streaming stick in the tv and run in out of the audio out of the tv to the receiver. That way I don't need anything extra to hook up to my system. Maybe I might hook up one of those small Google Home or Amazon Echo speakers to add voice activation to the system. Who doesn't want to be even lazier and be able to turn even more stuff on and off without leaving your couch?

One tv is connected to a Panasonic mini home theatre system. My second tv is connected to a Sony receiver with a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and a Velodyne sub circa 2000. I have a set of fears and a center channel, but haven’t used them in years.

I usually just stream music through the sat tv app.

On a side note, every movie that I’ve ever streamed from either Netflix or Amazon seems to be only broadcast in 2 channel stereo. Is that on them or do I need to upgrade something on my end?

Reactions: jameslee32
We just got the yamaha soundbar as well. How the hell do you hook it up? Got an HDMI cord and cannot get it to work with my brand new LG smart tv. Help.
Ours had an s-video connector. It also came with a mic that we plugged in and set up in my chair in front of the TV and sound bar. The thing then calibrated itself for about an hour while we were at the grocery.

An audiophile won't touch an iPhone, Beats or most generic streaming services.

It's a world the average person doesn't see.. But spend an hour or two in a home theater store, play with the equipment and talk to the staff. If you like music, it's worth the investment..

Well, some of it.. There's speakers out there that cost close to half a million and you need to go through interviews before they will sell them to you. That's a little overkill.

I can't imagine having to hear music thru an Alexa or Echo. Like wearing a condom over your ears. Music deserves more, IMO. Besides, I'm pretty sure an Echo can't take 1000 watts of Phase Linear power...

They still have high-end audio shows allover the world and they are still very popular. Check out YouTube. There are still some speaker and component companies that don't even have to advertise as they survive off word of mouth in the industry.

IMO, if you resort to a tiny gadget for music, you're not a fan of music, you're a fan of convenience. If you can't feel music, you aren't hearing it.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yamaha RX-V667 A/V Receiver

Pair of Definitive Technology Mythos Two speakers mounted on either side of my 65" LG HDTV, DefTech Mythos Three Center Channel sits on the entertainment center underneath.

MartinLogan satellite surround speakers

Pair of 10" subwoofers (One MartinLogan, One Jamo)

Receiver is circa 2010, does not have network/bluetooth capabilities. I use a HTPC and an Android set top box to provide those features.

And Plex. Just bought lifetime Plex Pass this weekend to play with the Live TV/DVR functionality.
Nice.

We replaced a Sony SS receiver that went bad this summer. Replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V483. I was blown away at the difference in sound. It is a network receiver (along with MusicCast) and it streams better than the Oppo BD player I have. Not saying it "sounds" better, but it can find the network, the files and process them much quicker than the Oppo. Well, much quicker than any device I've used for that role.

I bought myself a $1700 turntable for my birthday. What would you hook something like that up to?

Reactions: 78Gooses
Nice.

We replaced a Sony SS receiver that went bad this summer. Replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V483. I was blown away at the difference in sound. It is a network receiver (along with MusicCast) and it streams better than the Oppo BD player I have. Not saying it "sounds" better, but it can find the network, the files and process them much quicker than the Oppo. Well, much quicker than any device I've used for that role.
I see deals for A/V Receivers with network/bluetooth/Pandora/etc. functionality and they always make me ponder whether it's time to upgrade. But it just doesn't make sense when I have that functionality and more via other components, and it still sounds so clean and clear all the way up to unity.

I did go the easy route this weekend and ordered a sound bar for the basement HDTV that I purchased and mounted in September. >>This one from Costco<<:
Only $100, and CNET couldn't say enough good about it: >>CNET Review<<

I can't say whether it's the love of music or just because I'm a gadget geek who can't stop playing with tech, but I even have a small sound setup in my bathroom, a Grace Digital Solo paired with a set of Logitech speakers.

Reactions: FusterCluck
I see deals for A/V Receivers with network/bluetooth/Pandora/etc. functionality and they always make me ponder whether it's time to upgrade. But it just doesn't make sense when I have that functionality and more via other components, and it still sounds so clean and clear all the way up to unity.

I did go the easy route this weekend and ordered a sound bar for the basement HDTV that I purchased and mounted in September. >>This one from Costco<<:
Only $100, and CNET couldn't say enough good about it: >>CNET Review<<

I can't say whether it's the love of music or just because I'm a gadget geek who can't stop playing with tech, but I even have a small sound setup in my bathroom, a Grace Digital Solo paired with a set of Logitech speakers.
Yeah, I didn't need a another network device, either, just tested it out once it was connected and was impressed with its ability. Sadly, it's in a room where it hardly ever gets used for streaming audio, which kinda makes it a waste. But, it is a really decent SS amp.

Only have one actual SS system and it's in a room I rarely go into. It's mainly where my kids hang out. I haven't had a soundbar yet. I always seem to have enough stuff around to at least patch together a 2.0 system, which is fine for me no more TV/movies than I watch.

Nothing wrong with having BT speakers and stuff where you need some sound, I would just need a sho-nuff system to rely on.

We have one of these for wife's bathroom and it's pretty awesome. I really like Fluance's stuff for the money. Hard to find cheap speakers that sound better.

Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
Yeah, I didn't need a another network device, either, just tested it out once it was connected and was impressed with its ability. Sadly, it's in a room where it hardly ever gets used for streaming audio, which kinda makes it a waste. But, it is a really decent SS amp.

Only have one actual SS system and it's in a room I rarely go into. It's mainly where my kids hang out. I haven't had a soundbar yet. I always seem to have enough stuff around to at least patch together a 2.0 system, which is fine for me no more TV/movies than I watch.

Nothing wrong with having BT speakers and stuff where you need some sound, I would just need a sho-nuff system to rely on.

We have one of these for wife's bathroom and it's pretty awesome. I really like Fluance's stuff for the money. Hard to find cheap speakers that sound better.
I remember looking at Fluance speakers before I settled on my DefTechs. That looks pretty sweet.

Reactions: FusterCluck
Looks like I'm gonna skip Sonos all together. Thanks guys!
Someone earlier mentioned that the echo dot can coordinate music between rooms. Wanted to add, they also have a 3.5 mm line out port, so you could hook up a nice pair of computer speakers, you could Frankenstein your own whole house system.

Can you really get Echo/Alexa/Dot/Whatever to be a remote for your TV? LG TV, LG Sound Bar (much newer than TV so they don't jive sometimes)/Toshiba BluRay/etc. is all piecemealed together and I would love to use a little $29.95 accessory that is cool rather than a $100 universal remote that might not work.

Someone earlier mentioned that the echo dot can coordinate music between rooms. Wanted to add, they also have a 3.5 mm line out port, so you could hook up a nice pair of computer speakers, you could Frankenstein your own whole house system.

I know it can with the Sonos One, because you define rooms on that system. Not sure how the Echo Dot can work with some of the "dumber" home theater setups as it pertains to rooms. Those would have to be defined somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT