ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite Verne Lundquist call

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
Verne retired yesterday. A career of amazing calls in golf (in all of your life have you seen anything like that), college football, and college basketball. I remember these gems from the Laettner game...

"They will break your heart." -- after Duke had thwarted another UK run

"Yeah he did." -- when his color guy questioned if Laettner meant to stomp on Aminu Timberlake's stomach

"How did he have the courage to take that shot?" -- when Sean Woods put us up 103-102 with 2 seconds left

"Yeah he did."

As a young boy, this had a profound impact on me. It showed me that despite attempts to cover up reality, the ability to confidently speak the truth is powerful. Verne had no time for the bull, called it like it was. RESPECT.

The Nicklaus putt in the '86 Masters. Maybe.....YES SIR!!!!

Golfing Augusta National GIF by The Masters

Can't remember any college football ones, but then I'm only a casual college football fan.

Always loved his mispronunciation of Palocious from Louisville. Pissed their fans off every game calling him Palashus 😂

I believe it was the 1992 Winter Olympics. For whatever reason, more ice skaters were falling than usual. He gave a recap of the Games’ ice skating events set to video and one of his lines went something like, “We began to wonder if instead of the Winter Olympics, it was the Fall Olympics this time!”

It was classic Verne Lundquist, classy but hilarious!

Reactions: FurdTerguson
I don’t believe what I just saw. Kirk Gibsons walk off home rune when Gibson could barely walk.

Verne retired yesterday. A career of amazing calls in golf (in all of your life have you seen anything like that), college football, and college basketball. I remember these gems from the Laettner game...

"Yeah he did." -- when his color guy questioned if Laettner meant to stomp on Aminu Timberlake's stomach

"How did he have the courage to take that shot?" -- when Sean Woods put us up 103-102 with 2 seconds left
I’m gonna go with Tigers chip I will never forget this. I about broke my hand giving a high five to my best friends and fellow Golf Team members. We always watched every Tiger tournament. We went ballistic when he made that, I bet you could chip from there for a year and not make that shot.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer

I think it was him whan Rex dunked on Louisville and he said "folks he's the real deal">

I DO remember he was doing the Alabama/Auburn game where Auburn returned the field goal attempt 100 yards, but can't remember his call.
Didn’t he say something like, “there were only fat guys on the field?”

EDIT - just listened and that was Gary Danielson that said that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT