ADVERTISEMENT

Your daily reminder that Coach Cal did charity work for Kentucky

etownblue25

Sophomore
Jul 30, 2008
Incase anyone forgot. Sure he makes 10 Million a year but remember he gave some of it back for charity, plus he traveled around asking for donations from us. So be sure to remember that before you criticize him....as if he would let anyone forget.

This is part of being the coach of the commonwealth. Y’all can criticize his coaching all you want and I’ll even agree with you most of the time, but Cal is a great human being who has helped thousands of families.
Great human beings don’t remind you of all their good deeds constantly. “Hey buddy, you can’t be mad at me! Remember that good thing I did a few years ago?” In fact, if you are of the Christian sort, Jesus had something to say about exactly this sort of behavior:

Be careful that you don't do your charitable. giving before men, to be seen by them, or else you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Incase anyone forgot. Sure he makes 10 Million a year but remember he gave some of it back for charity, plus he traveled around asking for donations from us. So be sure to remember that before you criticize him....as if he would let anyone forget.
I agree with your post, he is a good person and he is uses his platform to benefit others.

The problem is, here on this board, no one cares except a handful of us. I appreciate him for all he does for the people of this state. Also with the good he does with serving meals at Christmas and Thanksgiving and giving kids new shoes. He is a wonderful ambassador of the University and of the State of Kentucky.

He has done more to help the people of Kentucky than the Elected State Officials.

From the Flooding in Eastern Kentucky to the Tornadoes in Western Kentucky, he has been there raising millions for those people.

Last edited:
No one is criticizing his charity work. He should continue that like everyone else! He's paid $9 million to coach and doesn't have the aptitude nor the willingness to teach young men. How many times does he have to be exposed for some of you to catch on? He's nothing but a grifter folks, and probably always has been! He has built a career on the backs of overwhelming talent and hard working knowledgeable assistants.

Sadly, it's Humanity in a nutshell. People have their priorities mixed up. Sports is more important than helping others in need.
This is some high irony right here. You talk about helping needy people, and we have coaches asking people to donate money to already pampered athletes who are already getting everything they need including room, board, training medical and education. Why? so they can drive a fancy car while waiting out their year to become rich in the NBA.

This is some high irony right here. You talk about helping needy people, and we have coaches asking people to donate money to already pampered athletes who are already getting everything they need including room, board, training medical and education. Why? so they can drive a fancy car while waiting out their year to become rich in the NBA.
Ask some of those kids you are talking about how hard of a childhood they had. Not everyone is born fortunate.

Reactions: bouncebackcats
Hahaha, Thanks! :) You have a wonderful day sir!
I got a good idea. Cal needs to donate a part of his salary back to the school considering an average to below average coach can do what he has the last 4 years. That would be great for the school and very charitable. A 9-16 season, 4 losses in a row in the champions classic, just 1 NCAA tournament win (47 schools have more) in the last 4 years, knocked out of the sec tournament in the very first round twice in four years with no sec championships, no sec regular season titles, lost more games at home in a row than any coach in school history, etc.

Have a great day yourself and be safe

Reactions: bluecoon1
I’m sure it’s likely more than either of us will ever know. I’m not his personal accountant so I can’t give you an exact number.
He gave $10k, about .02% of his $45m net worth. This is not tooting my own horn, just as an example, I gave $100 to both funds which is about 0.2% of my annual income. Many people probably did the same on half of that. It’s easy for someone of his stature to ask for donations but you should do some some research starting a thread about his charity work.

This is part of being the coach of the commonwealth. Y’all can criticize his coaching all you want and I’ll even agree with you most of the time, but Cal is a great human being who has helped thousands of families.

A great human being? I disagree.

I certainly don’t think he’s evil or even close to being evil. But he’s not a “great human being”.

He’s average with a side of pretentiousness. Very much “all about me”. An elitist.

Well he had plenty of time to do that since he doesn’t focus much on bettering the UK program.

Great human beings don’t remind you of all their good deeds constantly. “Hey buddy, you can’t be mad at me! Remember that good thing I did a few years ago?” In fact, if you are of the Christian sort, Jesus had something to say about exactly this sort of behavior:

Be careful that you don't do your charitable. giving before men, to be seen by them, or else you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
Agreed, but I have to play Devil's Advocate on this a bit. It drives me crazy that people say that when talking about high profile folks. The news is gonna get out. "They TOOK pictures!" Well, yes, when the governor or president shows up to a disaster area, it's gonna make news and usually not by choice. Sure, there are obvious photo ops, but there are instances that their giving is genuine. I cant imagine being higher profile and trying to do something good without it being plastered.

That being said, I will agree that bringing it up over and over again makes it a LOT less sincere.

Reactions: crestcat

Does he still start every sentence telling the world that he went to mass today ?

What he does on and off the court are two separate entities.

No one is criticizing him what he does off the court.

Criticism is deserved on the court.

I don't think anyone really questions the things he does off the court for the past 15 years.

But that really shouldn't play into whether they keep him on this court in the role of HC of the Kentucky Wildcats.

I have not read where anyone questions Coach Cal’s charitable work.
His coaching is his job and is paid very well to do his job.
It is his coaching that is in question.

This reminds me of a HOA president once who stood up and whined about neighbors questioning his handling of affairs.
He could not believe how and why anyone would dare question him and started yelling, “look what I have done for you. You don’t appreciate me. This is a volunteer job. “

Same guy the next day was at his kids softball game yelling at the coach to quit, you don’t know shit, I can do better.

When you accept a job whether paid or voluntary, you have a responsibility and should be held accountable.

People only want accountability for a coach making 10 million a year.

I lived behind enemy lines in Bloomington Indiana for 2 years when Knight was coach. He, and his ball-washers, always were quick to remind people he gave to the library. Alas, no amount of that whitewashing could get the stink off that asshole.

That is a great thing that Cal does, but he needs to retire from UK and do charity full time, we need a coach to be going to the FF every yr.

That is a great thing that Cal does, but he needs to retire from UK and do charity full time, we need a coach to be going to the FF every yr.
FF every year is a bit crazy once you get to the E8 games get really tough most years., you're usually playing a T10 team and it's a game of bounces at that point. But S16 isn't and maybe E8 isn't unreasonable. And we used to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT