ADVERTISEMENT

WTF happened to Reed?

Nothing happened to him. He's great when he takes high percentage shots and isn't the type of player to go hunting for his own shot. A ton of people on this board said that and we were told that was a stupid take and he was by far the best player on the team.

People calling for more reed don’t get he is limited one on one. He’s not going out there and taking games over not without someone opening him up.He shot out the gate because he grew up knowing what uk basketball meant so he hit the ground running then had the cupcake schedule. Like I’ve said he is between the lack of hype before the season and the overhype a month in.

Maybe those first few weeks were more of am aberration. It's possible those were the fluke.. not the games after..

The good news that every passing night, not only is he proving not to be a 1st rounder this year.. but actually a multi year college player. I'd say if the draft was tomorrow, after tonight's game factoring in, he'd be coming back.

Cal is in his head. We were scoring in the 90s with Reed playing unselfishly and probably passing up too many shots.

Cal would rather everyone force things and we turn into a rock fight team.

Leading the country in assist/turnover was no bueno for our coach. He likes that one on one action.

Maybe those first few weeks were more of am aberration. It's possible those were the fluke.. not the games after..
I don't think they were a fluke, I just think people here misunderstood what made him so good. He has a high plus minus because of all the non-shooting stuff he does. If he plays smarts and takes 5-7 great looks a game he's a great player. He's not someone who should be going one on one or hunting for his own shot himself.

Reed, Rob, Justin, DJ, and Aaron are freshmen. The only constant with most freshmen is inconsistency. The very reason you cannot build a team around them. But our $9 million HOF coach is smarter than any current/previous coach in history! We are fortunate to have him. Keep telling yourself that.

I don't think they were a fluke, I just think people here misunderstood what made him so good. He has a high plus minus because of all the non-shooting stuff he does. If he plays smarts and takes 5-7 great looks a game he's a great player. He's not someone who should be going one on one or hunting for his own shot himself.

It's well beyond just the Plus/Minus. It's almost like he's totally rattled. Like he scored his points and made smart plays.. and then idk, did teams figure him out? Did he have these great games because teams overlooked him?

The good news that every passing night, not only is he proving not to be a 1st rounder this year.. but actually a multi year college player. I'd say if the draft was tomorrow, after tonight's game factoring in, he'd be coming back.
He’s playing himself out of the NBA draft, maybe. But seems like the whole team is playing worse than a few games ago. Is it better defense from SEC teams?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
It needs to be said. He isn’t the only one not playing well. But just because he’s from London doesn’t mean he can’t get criticized.
Oh but it does, as you will soon see and as you suggested it’s Cal’s fault.

These kids are humans and not robots, they’re gonna have ups and downs. He has far more ups than downs and will get it together.

He’s playing himself out of the NBA draft, maybe. But seems like the whole team is playing worse than a few games ago. Is it better defense from SEC teams?

I think the defense is certainly better.. you know, seeing as how we can get elbowed in the face for a foul on us, but it's a F1 if Tre does it.. I'd say that's some of the best defense I've ever seen!

Reed is a freshman who lacks strength, speed and explosiveness. He was really good against the lesser talented teams we played early on because he is a better player than many of them. He also had less pressure and less scouting being done on him.

Now teams play him harder on D, the talent level we face has increased dramatically in conference play, and he has more pressure on him. While Reed has a great basketball IQ, a lot of the SEC teams have other experienced players who have developed very high basketball IQs as well. They are also more physically mature, and often quicker and more explosive than he is.

Reed likely needs to be a 2 or 3 year player to physically fill out his frame and work on beating guys off the dribble. He needs to work on his on-ball defense as well. He is great at reading and disrupting passing lanes, but he isn't as good on the ball.

He has very good fundamentals and skills, but he needs the body to match at this level and the NBA.

Said a month ago if Reed Sheppard is an NBA lottery pick as a freshman the whole system is fuc$$d. Wonderful college player who needs a couple of years to grow.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT