ADVERTISEMENT

WOW CAL CALLED OUT DICKIE V HAHAHAHAHA

I think DV was shell shocked that duke was getting an ass whipping. His whole demeanor changed when he learned that puke was down by 10. Is he mad that he did not get to go to Cameroon and come to Rupp instead? He never mentioned IU a single time tonight? WTF is up with that? Miami did not platoon duke but had 2 guards that took duke off the bounce whenever they wanted. Reminded me off Wayne Turner beating Wojo like a school girl. Duke can not play defense against athletic guards period. 20 point beat down!! GBB

Originally posted by dezyDeco:
Originally posted by Mojocat:
Didn't care for that shot. Vitale praises Cal constantly - and I'm sure Cal knows he can't say that about everyone. I suspect he was trying to be glib or funny, and it didn't come out that way...
Seemed like Dick and his buddy got the laugh out of it.

Cal just ribbing him.
Cal is definitely just ribbing Dickie V... Because Cal has been fired as a coach, too! And he's more successful now than he ever was before that happened (just like Dickie V is more successful as a commentator/personality than he was as a coach).

His shots at Jerry Tipton are probably more heart felt, though, haha

Nothing wrong with some good natured ribbing, and especially since Dickie V spent some lengthy time explaining how Cal's wins at Memphis should never have been vacated, and practically blamed the NCAA for the whole thing.

Now if he could just go after the NCAA over this Tarhole scandal...

Its humorous that Vitals would later call out Cal for also being fired. Pretty big difference is that one firing was a mistake.

Dickie V doesn't understand the platoon system because he has a Depth perception problem with only one real eye.

Classic Cal and I like him publically disagreeing with him.

The BBN has Cal's support through and through. Cal's heard Vitale criticize us enough.

Originally posted by CatFanInTheBathtub:
Cal's earned the right to say stuff like that unlike Billy g with the bad question remark. Especially when its Vitale who had zero success as a coach.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Vitale had a .731 winning pct as a collegiate head coach and that got him an opportunity to coach in the NBA. By comparison Cal's had a .730 winning pct at UMass. Vitale coached his final college game in Rupp in the Sweet Sixteen. His team went 26-3 that year.

Originally posted by fuzz77:

Originally posted by CatFanInTheBathtub:
Cal's earned the right to say stuff like that unlike Billy g with the bad question remark. Especially when its Vitale who had zero success as a coach.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Vitale had a .731 winning pct as a collegiate head coach and that got him an opportunity to coach in the NBA. By comparison Cal's had a .730 winning pct at UMass. Vitale coached his final college game in Rupp in the Sweet Sixteen. His team went 26-3 that year.
Interesting fun facts. Good stuff.

Reactions: sgrooms
While I think a case could be made that the platoon system doesn't allow a player to get into the flow of the game, it doesn't seem to have affected any of these kids on this team. Look at Booker...the kid shoots lights out just about every time he comes in. For a player like Marcus Lee or Dakari who seem to get better as the game progresses, maybe that's true.

But, what Dick V isn't looking at is how the platoon system wears down most teams. Duke was worn down by Miami last night and the announcers kept saying it was because Duke didn't have the depth and were tired. After 35 mins of fresh legs coming in they will really be tired.

I've said it all season...the only team that can stop this team is Kentucky. We have to have an absolutely horrific game and the other team will have to play out of their minds. We go on the road, shoot 28%, face a teams best shot on their floor and still win.

Didn't care for that shot. Vitale praises Cal constantly - and I'm sure Cal knows he can't say that about everyone. I suspect he was trying to be glib or funny, and it didn't come out that way...
I'm not a fan of Dickie V., but I agree. What Cal said was lame and crossed the line, IMO. There's nothing wrong with good natured ribbing, but Cal went too far. You could tell it made Dickie V uncomfortable.

What if Dickie had come back and said, "yeah, I got fired, but I am not the only coach to have two teams that has had final fours vacated." Everyone on here would be calling for him to fired.

Let me clarify my point: I knew he was kidding around, I know they are friends, I know that Vitale knew that (although, if you know anything about Vitale's past, the fact that he was fired was a personal low point and source of true depression for him - IOW, it was a very big deal and maybe a sore point). The point was, it didn't come across that way, the average viewer, not to mention a writer with an agenda would portray that as a very petty comment, and would be the subject of ridicule. I suppose it's as simple as Cal's critics annoy me, the are dishonest, and I hate to see them get ammunition. Especially from Cal himself....

Anyway, I'm reading SI.com this morning, and sure enough I see a headline "John Calipari called out Dick Vitale" And the story then links to a different story from some years ago, when Vitale hung up on the Dan LeBetard show because their criticisms of Calipari frustrated him so. Vitale is a great friend to Cal.....

Vitale hangs up on LeBetard...

Originally posted by ukbob:
Get a grip. It was a joke and a jab, nothing more. They are good friends.

Mercy
This.

Its always funny to see how almost everyone hates Dicky V and uses his love for Duke as the reason. I guess they ignore the fact that he gushes over us, and every blue blood program, just as much.

I can see how most would take Cal's comment as a sinister comeback, but IMO it was just two friends making smack talk. I laughed, but I laugh at everything. I laughed also when Cal smacked Delk with " Yeah and I'm the coach that beat you guys" after Tony started bragging about the 96 team. And, furthermore, Name all the good coaches (not that Vitale was good), that haven't been fired. For sure Cal has nothing on Vitale in that category. I would have rolled on the floor if Dickie would have shot out a comeback to that end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT