ADVERTISEMENT

Would you want Payne back

Jan 27, 2023
As an assistant if Louisville axes him? I don’t see how they don’t. Payne’s already buried at that job. He walked into a hornet’s nest without anything like the experience to know how to navigate it, has shown no potential at recruiting high potential kids willing to take a risk at that shitshow.

Without totally knowing his mindset, I'd probably pass. He just seems tired. He's in his late 50s now and has failed at the one thing he was working toward for the last 20 years. I'd assume going back to the Knicks would make the most sense for him. Get paid well to work players out and play good cop when Thibs yells at them. End his career on a good note coaching at the highest level on a playoff caliber team. Just doesn't seem like he's got the energy left to grind it out recruiting 17 year olds and worrying about NIL and transfer portal.

For me when he put with a kid who didn't think he could play because he didn't have the right tights it was an indicator he was not head coach material. He gets a lot of credit for developing bigs so why not have him back?

Reactions: UKgal82 and awf
Bigs were better under KP. I’d be fine with it. Be funny as hell every year when we rolled into Louisville. Nice jab after Pitino too.

Reactions: UKgal82 and J_Dee
Nope, he’s a loser and he made his choice to leave
Left for a big contract/job in NBA and then chance to be head coach at his alma mater, don't chastise him for any of that. He might do a great job with the bigs we will have next year. Worth a shot.

Reactions: J_Dee
I like Kenny Payne, but I think him developing our Bigs is overrated. I'm sure he won't have a problem getting an assistant's job somewhere.

He seems like a good guy and he did a great job at UK so as far as I'm concerned, he's always welcome here.

As an assistant if Louisville axes him? I don’t see how they don’t. Payne’s already buried at that job. He walked into a hornet’s nest without anything like the experience to know how to navigate it, has shown no potential at recruiting high potential kids willing to take a risk at that shitshow.
He would be a game changer for our bigs.

I was told on good authority that Kenny won those games, and I want to win more games so sure he can come back.

I’m split. We weren’t exactly killing it with him at times lately. But I like him and he does seem to do good as an asst.

I’m like someone else. I wouldn’t be upset but I wouldn’t be thrilled either.

I think KP needs to find a solid mid major to go too. Develop his skill set a bit.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
No! Its clear he doesn't know what he's doing. Move on to someone better and more knowledgeable.

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: saxonburgcat
I would like to see him back. Everyone makes mistakes so forgive and forget.

When I hear that Danny Manning is on the staff....he could be the coach too.

I'd take payne for player development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT