ADVERTISEMENT

Worst US airport experience - either one off or consistently

My biggest problem is with TSA agents. I get so sick and tired of those idiots treating folks like they’re prisoners. Always some goon barking orders like it’s chow time.

“Shoes off, tablets removed and separated!!! Don’t defy us or we will pat you down and check every bag!!!

2 years ago I was on a work trip to Florence (not KY). My flight from London (also not KY) to Bologna was delayed (not from Heathrow but from London City Airport). I take the tube into the city from Heathrow, get to LCA and cannot check my bag yet because it is more than 3-4 hours until the delayed flight. I don't want to lug this big suitcase around with me to a pub to get some lunch.
A week later I'm returning to NC, and on the BA app it lets me check into my 1st leg (Bologna to Heathrow) but does not let me check into the 2nd leg (AA flight from Heathrow to NC). I go to the AA app, no luck, I call AA and they say BA has to check me in. I call BA and can't get anyone. So I decide I'll do it when I get to the airport at Bologna in the morning. When I get there they say since I didn't check-in to the 2nd flight yesterday on the app, I can't do it now and will have to do it at Heathrow. Ok, there is like 90min between flights.
Flight is slightly delayed, deboarding is slow, as is getting my bag. I find the line to get my AA boarding pass, and although it's short, it's painfully slow. I get to the window, she says I barely made it in time, gives me my pass and I run to security 50' away, and security won't let me through, say that I'm too late (boarding is in 29min). At this point I blow-up, turn over the turnstyle and walk away to go back and see if the boarding agent can give me a pass to board late. At which point the security says that I reacted too severely and they will make it so I can't fly again. WTF. I apologize, and all is forgiven and I did get the pass to get through security. But at one point I was thinking, I'm going to have to take a boat back to the US.

Update: flew home from Logan yesterday. Not a horrible experience. What was irritating (United) was the plane was scheduled to leave at 8:40 pm. We're on the plane and the doors closed by 8:20 pm. At 8:50 pm, the pilot announces 'we're waiting on some late baggage and should be ready to go momentarily'. At 9:05 pm, 'we're still waiting on a couple of pieces of luggage and we'll be pushing back in just a few minutes'. At 9:10 pm, we push back and sit. At 9:20 pm, we slowly make our way towards a runway. At 9:25 pm, we're wheels up, over an hour since everyone was on the plane and the doors closed. I mean, WTF? We have 130 passengers waiting for over an hour for 'late baggage'? Seems like the baggage department could use some better methods to ensure this doesn't happen but very, very rarely.

Update: flew home from Logan yesterday. Not a horrible experience. What was irritating (United) was the plane was scheduled to leave at 8:40 pm. We're on the plane and the doors closed by 8:20 pm. At 8:50 pm, the pilot announces 'we're waiting on some late baggage and should be ready to go momentarily'. At 9:05 pm, 'we're still waiting on a couple of pieces of luggage and we'll be pushing back in just a few minutes'. At 9:10 pm, we push back and sit. At 9:20 pm, we slowly make our way towards a runway. At 9:25 pm, we're wheels up, over an hour since everyone was on the plane and the doors closed. I mean, WTF? We have 130 passengers waiting for over an hour for 'late baggage'? Seems like the baggage department could use some better methods to ensure this doesn't happen but very, very rarely.

I should have clarified in my post about Logan. I have actually had good flying experiences there, it's just that rental car situation is dumb. But the airport itself, I don't mind. Oddly enough, the airport that I have had the most amount of delays out of is Richmond, VA. Which is kinda on brand, because I don't particularly like Richmond the city.

With as much traveling as I have done the last 5 years of my career, I have a great appreciation for the midsize airport. Louisville is my home airport, and is just a breeze, despite very limited options to the west coast. But CHS and RDU are just 2 examples of what I consider midsize airports that are just a breeze.

Worst I’ve flown through was St Louis. At the time it was a disaster waiting to happen. I refuse to go through that airport.

I should have clarified in my post about Logan. I have actually had good flying experiences there, it's just that rental car situation is dumb. But the airport itself, I don't mind. Oddly enough, the airport that I have had the most amount of delays out of is Richmond, VA. Which is kinda on brand, because I don't particularly like Richmond the city.

With as much traveling as I have done the last 5 years of my career, I have a great appreciation for the midsize airport. Louisville is my home airport, and is just a breeze, despite very limited options to the west coast. But CHS and RDU are just 2 examples of what I consider midsize airports that are just a breeze.

Wonder if nearby dc air traffic has anything to do with that? More than once i experienced delays in different parts of the country due to vip in the air space.

Having traveled all over Southeast Asia and flying plenty of local and national airlines, I’ll say that as domestic travelers in the US we are wildly spoiled.

That being said, in the US, it’s absolutely EWR. A complete shit show of an airport.

I contemplate suicide every time I have a connection through Houston.

The last time I flew out of La Guardia there were about 10 pigeons walking around my gate. No one seemed to care.

SEATAC I like. Never had a bad experience and just everyone seems more relaxed to me.

People say Pearson sucks but I’ve flown through there three times in I think the last 8 years and never had an issue.

BNA is fine but all the stupid construction the last five years just annoys me and their whole ride share setup is garbage.

But seriously Bush in Houston I loathe.

Once, we rented a car once from an off-site rental agency. There was a shuttle to the place, and it really was miles from the airport. Then, there was a shuttle back to the airport after we returned the car. Yes, it was definitely cheaper, but not much and the margin for missing our flight was teensy. I hate hate hate being late for something.

I was tripping and this guy next to me appeared to be a creature in a human mask. I started yelling and telling everyone this guy wasn’t real and it went viral.

Just flew home from Colorado yesterday. First time taking all 4 kids on a flight. We drove from KY to Colorado in rental and then flew home. We were in Breckenridge and had left the house we were in for Denver (2 hour drive) the night before check out to stay in hotel by airport. It was that or a 5am drive to Denver on Saturday morning.

National rental drop off was awesome. Shuttle was perfect. One bag to check and was 5 lbs over, $100 on Delta...not thrilled.

Flight was solid, gave my kids all the snacks they could want. They really enjoyed first time flying.

Get to CVG and had left personal vehicle in long term parking for $11 a day. My wife and kids stayed by arrivals and I took shuttle to lot but there are two (valu and economy). My receipt wasn't circled so I had to guess, packed shuttle for economy and when I got there realized it was wrong lot.

Had the choice of waiting for whole shuttle to unload, ride back to airport and wait in line for correct shuttle or get out in wrong lot and walk.

I decided the one mile walk in 95° heat sounded better (350 bill driver thought I was insane). Dealt with it. Got my vehicle, drove back, picked up kids, loaded the 6 bags + other stuff into van...drove off. Get on interstate and hatch wasn't fully closed. Take exit, turn right, pulling up to gas station and hatch pops...lose a bag. Jump out and a guy had stopped, pokes his head out and says "gotta love when that happens". Made my day, nice guy.

Long ass day....but beat a drive home.

Just flew into Boston/Logan early this afternoon and, last minute, had to get a rental car. Stood in line at Budget for 20+ minutes, which was expected. After getting checked in, walk out to get into the car. But, wait, there's an area where you wait in line again as an 'attendant' walks up and down the aisles to find your car. Absolute worst system for rental cars I ever experienced and I've probably rented a car in 35 or more airports. Just insanely poorly run. And, I left the airport at 3:30 to drive 22 miles to my son's house in Dedham. Took me an hour and 40 minutes. Google maps took me all over Boston to avoid a tunnel closure, construction and a wreck. Good times!

Denver airport can be a bitch, too. Didn't happen to me this time, but several times this year I've strolled up to the gate listed on the board for my flight only to be redirected to another gate, sometimes clear on the other side of the terminal. If you didn't know, physically, Denver airport is the largest in the US, so when they send you 3/4 the length of the terminal, it's a damn long walk. On one trip to ABQ, I got gate changed 3 times within 15 minutes. I walked about halfway down one side, only to get changed to a gate halfway down on the other side of terminal, then sent back to the original terminal then to a terminal about 100 yards away.
I'm with you on Denver. Horrible lines to get through security.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Just flew home from Colorado yesterday. First time taking all 4 kids on a flight. We drove from KY to Colorado in rental and then flew home. We were in Breckenridge and had left the house we were in for Denver (2 hour drive) the night before check out to stay in hotel by airport. It was that or a 5am drive to Denver on Saturday morning.

National rental drop off was awesome. Shuttle was perfect. One bag to check and was 5 lbs over, $100 on Delta...not thrilled.

Flight was solid, gave my kids all the snacks they could want. They really enjoyed first time flying.

Get to CVG and had left personal vehicle in long term parking for $11 a day. My wife and kids stayed by arrivals and I took shuttle to lot but there are two (valu and economy). My receipt wasn't circled so I had to guess, packed shuttle for economy and when I got there realized it was wrong lot.

Had the choice of waiting for whole shuttle to unload, ride back to airport and wait in line for correct shuttle or get out in wrong lot and walk.

I decided the one mile walk in 95° heat sounded better (350 bill driver thought I was insane). Dealt with it. Got my vehicle, drove back, picked up kids, loaded the 6 bags + other stuff into van...drove off. Get on interstate and hatch wasn't fully closed. Take exit, turn right, pulling up to gas station and hatch pops...lose a bag. Jump out and a guy had stopped, pokes his head out and says "gotta love when that happens". Made my day, nice guy.

Long ass day....but beat a drive home.

Good lord that sounds awful. Next week my wife planned a beach to trip to and her college friends beach house in Delaware. Have to fly with all 3 kids then drive 2.5 hours to the place 🙄 Sounds like hell. Rented a Chrysler minivan for the drive so hopefully kids will at least like that

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Good lord that sounds awful. Next week my wife planned a beach to trip to and her college friends beach house in Delaware. Have to fly with all 3 kids then drive 2.5 hours to the place 🙄 Sounds like hell. Rented a Chrysler minivan for the drive so hopefully kids will at least like that

Ha, that is what wife drives and what we rented to drive to Colorado...lol.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I flew out of Kansas City once and I genuinely can’t believe an airport like that exists. I thought I was being pranked.
They have supposedly opened a brand new terminal that everything flies out of now, but yes the old building was awful other than security being right outside the gates. I got stuck there for 10 hours once due to a weather delay and it was absolutely miserable.

I'll never understand the hate that ATL gets. I'm usually there 3-4 times a month and while I've had some delays it's not any worse than other places and it's easy to navigate. It does suck as an origination airport because their TSA takes forever with the way they do the bag screening. Security lines were empty last Sunday evening and still took nearly 20 minutes for the bags to get through their whole process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT