ADVERTISEMENT

Will we be any good......?

Iā€™m new here but Iā€™m very confident we can be much better than expected. Itā€™s not as though there arenā€™t some valid concerns, such as the lack of chemistry and familiarity with the system but I have strong confidence for some well-founded reasons, particularly if Lanier or Robinson are added to the roster. Can elaborate.

Guys, Pope has to win. He wants that pressure to win it all. Realistic expectations are for cowards. Unrealistic expectation are for people with confidence and thats Pope, the BBN, and most Kentuckians. Doubters need not apply now or in the future.
Well said.
Might as well fasten our seat belts and take a ride on a dreamers dream.

Too much money on coaches and recruiting/NIL to not make the tournament despite having all new players and coaches
People that say that have good intentions, I believe. They want to make sure expectations arenā€™t out of control for Coach Pope. However, Pope wouldnā€™t have filled the roster to the brim with players that have one year of eligibility if the mindset was to build for year two. Heā€™s building to win NOW and hopes to keep a few to keep the train rolling for year 2.

People that say that have good intentions, I believe. They want to make sure expectations arenā€™t out of control for Coach Pope. However, Pope wouldnā€™t have filled the roster to the brim with players that have one year of eligibility if the mindset was to build for year two. Heā€™s building to win NOW and hopes to keep a few to keep the train rolling for year 2.
He definitely needs a good year 1 to build on if heā€™s ultimately gonna be successful here

Reactions: B.B.H.
Iā€™ve heard a whole lot of ā€œItā€™s okay if we donā€™t make the tournament.ā€ That runs starkly in opposition to the way the team has been constructed and Popeā€™s approach to expectations.
Trust me, I think BBN is going to be very pleased with Mark Popes first season as head coach of our Cats.
As for expectations, that's for fans. Pope has stated time and again he knows what the assignment is and he embraces it. He's not lowering expectations, he's building a competitive roster that will not be intimidated by anybody.
I'm fully on board this ride baby, gonna be a fun one also.

Trust me, I think BBN is going to be very pleased with Mark Popes first season as head coach of our Cats.
As for expectations, that's for fans. Pope has stated time and again he knows what the assignment is and he embraces it. He's not lowering expectations, he's building a competitive roster that will not be intimidated by anybody.
I'm fully on board this ride baby, gonna be a fun one also.
Iā€™ve put together a whole lot of work on this subject. Iā€™m very confident you are correct. All aboard the Pope train.

This could very well be a .500 squad. Iā€™m not saying it will be but I would not be shocked. If we make the tournament and secure a good recruiting class for year two Iā€™d say that is a huge success.

Change is exciting but excitement does not equal performance. I for one will feel much better if pope can grab at least 1 dynamic playmaker

Pretty sure we'll be "good." We have players who are proven performers (if not proven parts of high level teams). We're not gonna suck. I don't see us as top 10.... yet. Get another really good playmaker/scorer? Maybe. I think we're gonna be a tournament team. I don't think we'll be a top 10 team. That leaves a wide range of possibilities.

Serious Question. Obviously time will tell, I know this. But will these pieces Pope has put together be good?

How good? I don't know if we will be top 10 good or NIT bound.

Curious about opinions...
I'm expecting a team that reminds us of '98 while shooting more 3's, esp. if we bring in Lanier to play the Shep role. A hard-playing, get after it on defense w/ a lock down 1 who'll make other teams struggle to get their offense initiated, share the ball among a bunch of real good players on offense doing a lot of passing and cutting. Deep bench that will get utilized.

I'm excited as hell about our immediate prospects, not to mention long-term.

Last edited:
I look at it this way. Our coach came in, bottom of the 9th while everyone else played the full game, and still compiled a roster of super solid guys.

Whereas we are used to star studded young talent with big names and endless youtube highlight clips, this team is full of grown ass men 21 years old and up who have over 200+ starts between them all, tournament victories under their belt in March, and every damn one of them can torch the nets on any given night. They won't be pushed around in the paint and they won't be easily scored on due to our plethora of elite defenders down low and out front.

We're not even done recruiting. I think Pope is pulling a Captain Aham and waiting for his whale to come alone. That whale most likely being Lanier at this point who would be the tip of the UK spear. Robinson could also be it and, while potentially not as good overall of a player, he has Pope experience to be an immediate leader on the court as he coaches his team mates into the system he knows well. It's a win-win.

If Pope's BYU team was pre ranked top 15, I can't see how our team (with one of Laneir/Robinson) is any worse. Throw in getting a reclass like Will Riley into the fold and the future becomes very very bright.

As long as we make it to the tournament and win our first game, it's an immediate improvement from last year. Anything beyond that is gravy to me for a first year. CMP has a long leash with me due to his passion and genuine care for the program as one of us. Let's go get it!

The Bigs are the biggest upgrade vs last year. This year's team will rebound the basketball much better than last year and provide more scoring punch than the 3 7 footers did last year. This year's team will be much better defensively on the perimeter also. I don't think we had a guard that knew how to stop the ball by moving their feet last year. Giving up penetration possession after possession just broke last year's team down defensively time and time again. Guards allowing players to drive at will coupled by having no real rebounding presence is why last year's team was so terrible defensively. I think this team will be much improved in those areas.

Last year's team biggest strength it's outside shooting ability will easily be matched by this year's team.

Last year's team was more athletic no doubt. Team's that attempted to run and gun vs last year's team paid the price. Ask Alabama and North Carolina. The problem was Coach Cal allowed that team and maybe it was because how poorest the defense was to get lulled into rock fights and played to the opponent's pace of play instead of forcing their will on their opponent,

This year's team has 8 players returning that averaged at or around double figures for the season. The team as is has a solid 8 players that knew how to score at the collegian level. That stat cannot be missed. That is nearly 80 points a game of experience this team has. With that said none of these players have ever played together and how they come together, and gel will be key to the success of the season.

I do think there are two players ready to take the next step in their basketball career and becoming star players. Oweh and Garrison have the ability to be big time players, and this could be their year. Especially being surrounded by shooters that will allow them freedom to use their athletic ability.

I think this team will be a top 4 SEC team come SEC tournament time with between 22-25 wins on the regular season. Around a 3 to 4 seed in the NCAA tournament and due to their experience will get thru the first weekend of the NCAA tournament and then will depend upon match ups and health how far the go from there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT