ADVERTISEMENT

Will Riley visiting in June

Although I am not a big fan of a reclass, this one seems to be a no Brainer. This kid is going to be in the NBA in 2 years and we would get him for 2 years. I'm all go on this kid.

Go Cats!

He’s already 18 so he could definitely be a one and done. For instance, he’s older than Boogie Fland (as is Jasper Johnson)

Peterson is the only one I know of that would be a 2 year guy as he was born in 2007 like Quaintance. (Also Harwell is 07)

He’s already 18 so he could definitely be a one and done. For instance, he’s older than Boogie Fland (as is Jasper Johnson)

Peterson is the only one I know of that would be a 2 year guy as he was born in 2007 like Quaintance. (Also Harwell is 07)
I was thinking Riley would have to play 2 years in college. So, what you advised makes a big difference in my mind. If Riley can be and is determined to be OAD regardless, I wouldn't waste a scholarship and development energy on him.

I was thinking Riley would have to play 2 years in college. So, what you advised makes a big difference in my mind. If Riley can be and is determined to be OAD regardless, I wouldn't waste a scholarship and development energy on him.
One of the best thing about grown men is you have a very good idea of what you can count on from them.

The downside is that is typical going to be pretty close to all you can get out of them.

We are going to have probable one and dones going forward, that is where you can potentially generate some upside we just aren't going to totally rely on them anymore.

It is a balance not one extreme or the other.
There are plenty of experienced squads that are mediocre or even bad, there is no silver bullet.

With the eleven we have I think adding Riley and Vinson would be perfect for the roster. Would put us three deep at the 3, 4 and 5. And the 1 and 2 is already two to three deep.

Well, he is rated only as the #16 player (composite rankings) in his current class, so I don't think re-classifying to be a one-and-done is something that is set in stone. Think Jarin Stevenson of Alabama. He was #19 before re-classifying and came off the bench for Alabama, getting 5.3 PPG. He did enter the draft his year, but I assume he is coming back.

I don't agree with that. As we have seen freshmen can go either way. I would prefer a guy with experience although I really like Riley.
True but pulling in 5 star kids is essential in keeping our brand and status and will pay dividends. Pope needs to prove that he can recruit and land kids like this. He never has in his career. Now we will find out if the Kentucky brand will serve him on the recruiting trail

Reactions: catlogic15
Don’t think it’s moving the goalposts. I think you need to add a wing scorer by any means necessary. If Robinson stays in the draft…then Riley is the next best option.
Yeah, I am not thinking about one and done anymore. With the 11 we have now, a 3/wing, is what would give us the next most need for next year. And a year in the system would give us Olweh, Noah and Riley (or any young 3 with a high ceiling), at the 3. And apparently Vinson is a 4/5, so adding him would give us a year experienced 4 for next season and small ball Riley could also play some 4 with his height. Just thinking about what is best for next year. I know we can add some portal guys, just looking at how a years experience here with the young guys could bolster our quality depth next season.

I’d take him in a heart beat! Top talent that can be around more experienced guys on the roster. Sounds like U-Conn type of roster.

Reactions: westerncat
I’d take him in a heart beat! Top talent that can be around more experienced guys on the roster. Sounds like U-Conn type of roster.
He scored 42 points in front of Pope and Hart. He shot 15-19, 6 of 6 on three's, 4-4 at the line, 4 rebounds, 5 assist and 2 steals for good measure. Sounds mature for his age.

that is one of the main reasons he does not want to reclass

If Riley want to reclass and come to UK you take him in a heartbeat. To me, I see a kid who has the same upside as tracy mcgrady. He might be a little inconsistent, but when he's on he's NBA good. But don't count out alabama for his services. Right now it's us against them, just like it is for Lanier, UK or UT

He took the 7th grade twice because the state allowed athletes to repeat a year because of covid. His birthday is in September.
I figured it was something like that. My daughters birthday is January. That would explain the school gap.

Riley has been described as an elite shot maker all over the court that can get his own shot. This is what everybody is wanting. A guy exactly like this. He is already 18 so his maturity is that of a senior in high school. A guy at 6-8 that would give us that extra forward we could use with the roster we have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT