ADVERTISEMENT

Will Riley Commitment

Looks like Illinois has him according to some of there fans 3 I think they believe the staff has told him he will start
They have not told him that. On the wing, he will have to beat out returning starter Ty Rodgers and transfer Tre White. White is talented and will benefit by being in a program with talent and coaching.

Riley may start but it’s not a given unless he gets a lot stronger.

I’m not sure other fans have followed how much talent Underwood has acquired for this season.

Cool. Didn’t want him for this year. Would have been perfectly happy to have him coming next year, largely because I liked him to attract other upper echelon recruits. But no particular loss. Especially since this signing all but guarantees he won’t be having a 25–26’ season in college. Wishing him the poised, talented, skinny, underweight best in all he does.

Pope needs to land a 5 start recruit next year to prove he can do it.
I don't get that thought process. To my mind, Pope needs to land the recruits that improve UK's chances of winning games and competing for championships - period. If that includes a high school player rated as a 5-star by some recruiting service (and likely a role player of some type his freshman season on the best teams in college), fine. But I don't think "5-star" high schoolers are anywhere close to the most important component in doing that.

I think it's going to take a season under the microscope before top recruits start signing here. I'm betting some of these kids are curious to see how much playing time freshman get. Hard work is hard to come by these days.
Most likely you are exactly right. They will want to see how a Pope team plays at Kentucky, and that is to be expected.

I think it's going to take a season under the microscope before top recruits start signing here. I'm betting some of these kids are curious to see how much playing time freshman get. Hard work is hard to come by these days.
Very possible.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Could pope have made some promises and pushed the kid to the front of the line, ahead of better players this coming season, sure he could. I'm glad he didn't. Wasn't that a big complaint toward the last coach? Pope handled this the way he should, be honest with the kid. Thumbs up for pope.

There is alot more
Man Hand GIF by DevX Art
in the pond we will get our share

Ahh, we didn’t want him anyway!
🤣🤣

(The obligatory post when we don’t get a recruit, of course.)

I absolutely did not want him. He’s a reclass freshman in the mold of what we used to recruit. If we would have landed him I would have said okay, but could not have cared less. Now someone like McKneely, or transfers like Davis, I wanted those. This is just a typical drifting reclass who will probably play at 3 schools by 2026. Had we got him for this season he wouldn’t have contributed much and either left way too early or transferred out anyway. I don’t think it was a serious recruitment anyway. Just a situation where he was told we have a spot.

Kentucky isn't even in his top 2 and the narrative is immediately Illinois or Kentucky. I keep telling y'all we can't afford to compete with these teams but Illinois? We can't even outbid them? And shut up before you speak if you think this is about something other than money. Stop being so damn naive.

• Haha
Reactions: Killswitch24
Kentucky isn't even in his top 2 and the narrative is immediately Illinois or Kentucky. I keep telling y'all we can't afford to compete with these teams but Illinois? We can't even outbid them? And shut up before you speak if you think this is about something other than money. Stop being so damn naive.
Was your Arkansas team even in the running?

Was your Arkansas team even in the running?
You keep doing this, because you are stupid. It doesn't insult me that you think I'm an Arkansas fan, because if I was, I'd be on their board laughing at how gullible we are. It doesn't insult me because you're wrong. And you're making assumptions because you don't understand the adage "When you assume you only make an ass out of u and me." So keep making an ass out of yourself and put some damn shoes on.

• Haha
Reactions: Killswitch24
And who are you again? Have you been posting on this board under another name?

You keep doing this, because you are stupid. It doesn't insult me that you think I'm an Arkansas fan, because if I was, I'd be on their board laughing at how gullible we are. It doesn't insult me because you're wrong. And you're making assumptions because you don't understand the adage "When you assume you only make an ass out of u and me." So keep making an ass out of yourself and put some damn shoes on.
💩

Reactions: TM2013
It was all about immediate playing time. Unlike our former coach, Pope isn't going to sacrifice team victories by playing boys against men just so they can be OAD players.

I don't get that thought process. To my mind, Pope needs to land the recruits that improve UK's chances of winning games and competing for championships - period. If that includes a high school player rated as a 5-star by some recruiting service (and likely a role player of some type his freshman season on the best teams in college), fine. But I don't think "5-star" high schoolers are anywhere close to the most important component in doing that.
I believe the right ones are, examples being Dillingham and Reed. Guys who are skilled enough to help win, in fact this years team they would be even better on because we have defenders and older guys who can help cover them on defense.

We had the money to make a winning bid for him but Pope told him we wanted im for 25 and if he reclassed there are no guarantees. of course a reclass would want some guarantees.

We'll have to see how the season goes, There is a possibility that Pope will at some point have to start guaranteeing something to kids but you gotta make damn sure the kid is worth it to guarantee them playing time , starting, or even 6th or 7th man spots. I think Riley was worth it but I also thought Brandon Boston was going to be awesome so its impossible to really predict when you dont know the mental make up of a kid.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
I believe the right ones are, examples being Dillingham and Reed. Guys who are skilled enough to help win, in fact this years team they would be even better on because we have defenders and older guys who can help cover them on defense.
I enjoyed the heck out watching Sheppard and Dillingham play . But they couldn’t carry a team to a championship (or SEC title) as freshmen. I do think, as you say, they were good enough to compliment a championship level team, with it probably being best for only one to start and the other as a 6th or 7th man. But without Reeves and to a lesser degree Mitchell, wouldn't you agree that last year’s team would have been a disaster. I know losing to Oakland seems to pretty much be a disaster in many ways anyway, but I think it would have been much more so without those upperclassmen. So yeah, I still don’t think 5-star high schoolers are anywhere close to being the most important components in building championship contending teams year-in-and-year-out. But I agree freshmen can help, just don't put them in a bad spot of having to carry a team.

I enjoyed the heck out watching Sheppard and Dillingham play . But they couldn’t carry a team to a championship (or SEC title) as freshmen. I do think, as you say, they were good enough to compliment a championship level team, with it probably being best for only one to start and the other as a 6th or 7th man. But without Reeves and to a lesser degree Mitchell, wouldn't you agree that last year’s team would have been a disaster. I know losing to Oakland seems to pretty much be a disaster in many ways anyway, but I think it would have been much more so without those upperclassmen. So yeah, I still don’t think 5-star high schoolers are anywhere close to being the most important components in building championship contending teams year-in-and-year-out. But I agree freshmen can help, just don't put them in a bad spot of having to carry a team.
How to you expect them (Sheppard and Dillingham) to have carried their team anywhere coming off the bench after spotting their opponent by 10 or more points most games?

Very well stated and I agree 💯 with this take! I absolutely LOVE REED AND DILLY but when the lights popped the brightest, they couldn’t handle the weight of it. I think we should absolutely want and take the “cant miss” freshman but we NEED the upper classmen that can take the beatings and not fold come tourney time.

How to you expect them (Sheppard and Dillingham) to have carried their team anywhere coming off the bench after spotting their opponent by 10 or more points most games?
No doubt, Cal magnified the issue by not starting them but we can’t be oblivious and say that Reed in particular, and Dilly to a lesser extent, didn’t wilt under the pressure in the Oakland game.

Very well stated and I agree 💯 with this take! I absolutely LOVE REED AND DILLY but when the lights popped the brightest, they couldn’t handle the weight of it. I think we should absolutely want and take the “cant miss” freshman but we NEED the upper classmen that can take the beatings and not fold come tourney time.
I honestly believe when it mattered most Cal checked out and didn’t prepare them to win. We didn’t look close to the team that even beat Tennessee a week prior.

And who are you again? Have you been posting on this board under another name?
Nope. I've been lurking on this board since 2011 or so. Can't you click on my name and see this sh*t? I don't know what it is with people asking questions that they can easily find the answer to with a cursory amount of research. You see, that's how I figured so much sh*t out about the world. I bothered to do the research. Had you done it, you wouldn't be questioning me. You'd join my crusade.

• Haha
Reactions: will1976
I’m using UConn as the blueprint, and it seems to be working well! Returning players, a couple 5 star recruits, and a few high level transfers.

Could pope have made some promises and pushed the kid to the front of the line, ahead of better players this coming season, sure he could. I'm glad he didn't. Wasn't that a big complaint toward the last coach? Pope handled this the way he should, be honest with the kid. Thumbs up for pope.
UK does not need to waste a free ride who is anything but a can’t miss recruit. In fact, most of these can’t miss recruits play overseas, are physically stronger, and more about the game instead of the NIL money.

UK does not need to waste a free ride who is anything but a can’t miss recruit. In fact, most of these can’t miss recruits play overseas, are physically stronger, and more about the game instead of the NIL money.
You are so naive. It's all about the money. Athletics has always been about the money. The #1 motivation for all athletes is the almighty dollar. It's only become MORE obvious this is the case with NIL. Most athletes come from pretty destitute backgrounds where athletics is the only chance they have at what this country deems 'success'. Privileged people generally don't turn to sports unless there's some sort of legacy where their parents were athletes and that's all they've ever wanted to do. I don't know how old you are but I've been watching sports for about 35 years and I've been able to figure this out so I don't know what your excuse is.

Lots of attention to a kid who would have given us about 4 to 5 points per game next season.

Oh well would have liked to have had him. He is a bit on the thin side, but like a previous poster said BBN might see him in the portal again!
That's what we need to do. Let him go to Illinois, let them develop him, then in a year or two, grab him in the portal with cash that he'll be looking for...IF he has developed. Who knows. He may or may NOT develop into the player we need. We've had 5* players that have not been as advertised. So let someone else take the risk first, and then with the portal now, things could be better in the long run. Just my two cents.🙂🙃

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT