ADVERTISEMENT

Wilcox is our Best Back

Moe Williams was always on kick/punt coverage. He loved and excelled at it.
Hmmm, when I played with him in 93, he was our featured back as a true freshman so no, he didn’t play on either kick coverage teams that year. Since he was the featured back in 94 and 95, don’t think he did those years either. Are you thinking of someone else?

The point about Wilcox is that last week, it was just he and Demi available. Looked the same today so was just wondering why we would risk injury with one of our only 2 available backs.

Hmmm, when I played with him in 93, he was our featured back as a true freshman so no, he didn’t play on either kick coverage teams that year. Since he was the featured back in 94 and 95, don’t think he did those years either. Are you thinking of someone else?

The point about Wilcox is that last week, it was just he and Demi available. Looked the same today so was just wondering why we would risk injury with one of our only 2 available backs.
He returned 4 kicks in 1995

Why doesn't get get more touches? He's our most consistent runner, speed and power? He always gets big gains. Sumo is decent, but I don't know, I just prefer Wilcox to be our #1 right now.

Am I the only one who thinks this?
He can be as good as he wants to be. It’s up to him . He needs to dedicate himself to his craft . Learn the playbook, do film study and be on time for meetings, etc.

1. Demi has been fine. Five yards a carry. Best blocker and probably best hands

2. Wilcox is more explosive…the stuff arm snd juke in the hole…was great. He’s got that twitch….reminded me of boom Williams

3. The good problem js when Trauynum is back….can they compliment the power back with two smaller explosive packs. But there are only so many carries though

Regardless….i see no reason to play Patterson. Truly a step back from the guys playing now

Last edited:

Bill Curry told Ralph Hacker in a post-game that Moe played on kick/punt teams (defensive) because he loved it, requested it and was definitely one of the best eleven coverage players. Not sure what year that was ...

Bill Curry told Ralph Hacker in a post-game that Moe played on kick/punt teams (defensive) because he loved it, requested it and was definitely one of the best eleven coverage players. Not sure what year that was ...
I know he told him he wanted to play on coverage teams but he did not…remember coach Smith laughing when he kept asking. Yeah, he burned Haley’s redshirt last game of year and had Couch running option…maybe you’re thinking of someone else.

Again though, why would we have Wilcox out there on coverages when we are so thin in the backfield?

Reactions: yoshukai and CGblue
1. Demi has been fine. Five yards a carry. Best blocker and probably best hands

2. Wilcox is more explosive…the stuff arm snd juke in the hole…was great. He’s got that twitch….reminded me of boom Williams

3. The good problem js when Teaynim is back….can they compliment the power back with two smaller explosive packs. But there are only so many carries though

Regardless….i see no reason to play Patterson. Truly a step back from the guys playing noe

Others have said similar things, but Stoops agrees that Wilcox's lack of playing time is on Wilcox...

Per Stoops after the game (bolded to emphasize the things I think are the most likely problems...no reason players cannot be on time, so I'd bench him, too, if he is demonstrating that kind of irresponsibility. Learning that lesson will help him in the long run way more than PT right now):
"“Jamarion is a guy that you’ve heard me say many times that I believe in his talent, and he’s a very good player. We are leaning on him to be consistent on and off the field. Do things right, be on time to meetings, the little things, know all the protection. "

Sounds like Wilcox is learning off the field responsibilities. This is 2nd time Stoops has alluded to being to mtgs on time, etc …

He certainly has the talent. I expect to see him continue to get more carries.

As thin as we are at RB my guess it wasn't Wilcox that made the tackle, but I was saying WTH when I heard his name called.

All three RBs who have received carries this year have run hard and earned yards after contact. It’s a good group. And, as said above, our young backs may have the highest ceilings of the four (including Chip here). Wilcox has looked like a potential star. Patterson looked physical and tough. Those two as future 1 and 1A could be an awesome duo.

Imo staff panicked and took chip.
All three RBs who have received carries this year have run hard and earned yards after contact. It’s a good group. And, as said above, our young backs may have the highest ceilings of the four (including Chip here). Wilcox has looked like a potential star. Patterson looked physical and tough. Those two as future 1 and 1A could be an awesome duo.

Jmo but chip might well end up being our least effective.

1. I need to see Traynum....but he needs to be CRod light to warner carries.....we;ll see how he looks. But we lack a big banger RB
2. Demi is solid as they come. Runs much stronger than I thought he'd do....fantastic blocker in pass game and has elite hands for a RB.
3. Wilcox is without a doubt....a probable star. Burst is there, can juke dudes, run physical for a smaller RB....(that stiff arm was nasty). I am sure he doesn't pick blitz up as well and is immature....but he looks like Boom Williams and you've got to ger 10 touches a game for him

I am not as high on Patterson.....he is a step slower, doesn't run thru tackles....but for 4th string....who cares.

I thought the same. Just gotta find him a few carries. But if it's been alluded that he needs to do some work off the field then I stand by that. No excuse to not be on time etc. 0 has ran tough not many complaints there just 10 needs to get it together because he has almost broken about 4 of them.

Wilcox has so far reminded me a bit of Wandale. Smaller guy with attitude who plays bigger than he seems, and seems to have bad luck with the last guy making a good tackle. (Wandale should've had who knows how many TDs that year that he stumbled or got shoe string tackled at the 10 and we let Crod finish it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT