ADVERTISEMENT

Why no Bradshaw?

Wasn't in Cal's plan or Cal just forgot and didn't think about him.

Don’t you remember the last time we played them? This was not the game for Bradshaw.

Been completely mismanaged. Hard to get a feel for the game when you aren't given a chance. If he got the same leeway as Edwards and Wagner he might be able to push himself and learn a bit. Instead he gets jerked from the game quicker than just about any freshmen Cal has ever had.

Been completely mismanaged. Hard to get a feel for the game when you aren't given a chance. If he got the same leeway as Edwards and Wagner he might be able to push himself and learn a bit. Instead he gets jerked from the game quicker than just about any freshmen Cal has ever had.
He had a 12-15 game stretch where he was given as many minutes as he could handle to play and just simply never materialized into the player he was hyped to be. With his frame it’s pretty understandable. Having two other options on the team to turn too has diminished his role. He would be good at UK next year and likely be a monster his jr year and play himself into the lottery (assuming he lived up to his hype). The college game needs to be reverted back to developing players both physically and mentally in preparation for the next level so they can contribute right away. I know this is an nba thing and not college and one reason I am no longer a fan of the nba.

^ Gotta disagree with you. Bradshaw’s body is similar to Ugo’s body last year.

I like AB, and think he can be a good player. But, they really abused him in first game and took the ball out of his hands during the couple minutes he got last night.

Granted, none of our bigs played well last night! Z offers little to this team if he doesn’t provide some offensive threat. We don’t have to get 10 + points a game from him, but he doesn have to give us something on offense. (This is even more true if Reeves is in foul trouble and Edwards is nearly scoreless.) Z looked like he wanted to quickly get ball out of his hands last night as soon as he touched it.

We won't go far if our bigs (4 & 5 spot) dont give us something! Mitchell, Edwards, Ugo, Z, AB combined to give us very little on both ends of the floor.

Our bigs are small potatoes. Our 3 best players are Reeves, Rob, and Reed. They need to be on the court as much as possible. Until we figure out how to do that, finding other solutions is like searching for pennies in a dollar tree forest.

And even then, we have built in limitations that we have to accept.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'll put it kindly - he stinks. Not ready for this level of basketball. Just another top 10 recruit ranked SOLELY on future potential that may or may not ever be realized. Skal 2.0, Collins 2.0, pick one ....
Agreed....Bradshaw wasn't going to bring anything to that game.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Ugo has his moments defensively but this team will go as far as the offense takes us. He's a huge liability on offense. I think you just have to ride with Z as the main big and give Ugo/Bradshaw spot minutes. Z is a cheat code in the pick n roll but it hasn't been utilized much for whatever reason. He's not great defensively but he can more than make up for it on the other end

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
It's the defensive principles they're implementing. Why have frontcourt players extend to the 3 point line and beyond when guarding a ball screen? As a result, our bigs are constantly out of position to defend the paint and rebound.
Cal finally realized zoning out of bounds underneath the basket works so why not try something different defending ball screens?

Our bigs suck, but our guards do them no favors by getting beat off the dribble with zero resistance. Our bigs get caught flat footed with speedy guards driving with purpose.

Not true.

So there is a 10 game stretch from Penn (dec. 9) through South Carolina (jan 23) where he played over 20 minutes in 8 of 10. The one game he didnt play many minutes at all (A&M) he had 4 fouls in 7 minutes and was unplayable. That 10 game stretch he averaged 21.6 minutes per game and was just not showing signs of getting better and improving in the areas we needed him too, mainly interior defense as he was easily pushed around.

Our bigs suck, but our guards do them no favors by getting beat off the dribble with zero resistance. Our bigs get caught flat footed with speedy guards driving with purpose.
Seems our guards give up more straight line drives to the basket than any team I have ever watched- our guards cannot keep anyone in front of them and can't stop the ball which is defense 101- this kills our bigs ability to defend the basket

^ Gotta disagree with you. Bradshaw’s body is similar to Ugo’s body last year.

I like AB, and think he can be a good player. But, they really abused him in first game and took the ball out of his hands during the couple minutes he got last night.

Granted, none of our bigs played well last night! Z offers little to this team if he doesn’t provide some offensive threat. We don’t have to get 10 + points a game from him, but he doesn have to give us something on offense. (This is even more true if Reeves is in foul trouble and Edwards is nearly scoreless.) Z looked like he wanted to quickly get ball out of his hands last night as soon as he touched it.

We won't go far if our bigs (4 & 5 spot) dont give us something! Mitchell, Edwards, Ugo, Z, AB combined to give us very little on both ends of the floor.
I’ve touched on Z in other post but appears to me cal has gotten in Z’s head as Z is no longer playing his game. We all know cal likes his bigs to be interior back to the basket type players and cal has zero idea on how to effectively utilize Z’s skill set. The fact we have not even seen a single pick and pop in the 15 games or so he has been eligible tells you all you need to know. Watch Z now when he goes up top to get the ball, he has a role to hand the ball off to a curling guard and that is it, he doesn’t even look at the basket and that is all cal. Every pick he sets is a pick and roll and pick and plant to see if guard gets a line to the basket. Also doesn’t appear Z is playing with the same exuberance he was and appears to be going through the motions as if he isn’t happy with how he’s being forced to play instead of just playing how he knows and is most effective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT