ADVERTISEMENT

Why is this UK team so bad on defense?

ukfan1622

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2021
That's the biggest question I have right now and I don't know the answers. Oh, I know what I've
seen and that's a team that doesn't appear to have had a lot of defensive coaching.

But the one thing Cal has always been decent at besides recruiting is getting his players to play decent
man to man defense and now...I don't know why. We've got the athletes to guard people and we've got the size.
Did Cal just forget how to teach man to man defense? Too many outside things going on? Meth?

That's the biggest question I have right now and I don't know the answers. Oh, I know what I've
seen and that's a team that doesn't appear to have had a lot of defensive coaching.

But the one thing Cal has always been decent at besides recruiting is getting his players to play decent
man to man defense and now...I don't know why. We've got the athletes to guard people and we've got the size.
Did Cal just forget how to teach man to man defense? Too many outside things going on? Meth?

Cal hasn’t had us playing high level defense since 2019.

A good amount of our defensive issues are baked into Cal’s system now. How he coaches it isn’t as effective as it used to be.
That's part of what I don't understand. The fundamentals of man to man defense havn't changed in the past 10 years, just more focus on the 3 point shot. To stay in front of your man you get down in your stance and keep your hands active while taking into account whether or not he can go right or left equally and where your help is; not things you have to be a world class athlete to do. Yet now our guys can't seem to stay in front of guys at all and that didn't just start this year but well after he got here.

It seems to me that most offensively-skilled players, certainly not all, are much less-skilled defensively. This is even more the case for backcourt players, especially for “shooters” … I see this in college and the NBA, but it could hold for high school, as well, I’m not sure.

Last edited:
When you average 90 ppg, you are going to give up points. It's just numbers. You are not winning every game by 20. So if you score 95, guess what, youvwill give up 80-85. More possessions for the other team.
BUT,,,, it seems to me these guys are react instead of acting. What I mean by that is, they are not in a defensive stance before the offensive guy makes his first move. They end up off balance and trying to catch up. Also, they are over helping off ball and leaving guys wide open. If you do that, at least TRY to close out and minimum put a hand in the guys face. Not going to harp on the falling for ball fakes anymore, they just continue to do it.

1. Not laterally quick perimeter players…Reeves and Shep are notorious in this regard. Wqgner is also not quite the twitchy athlete we expected.
Edwards is flat out not athletic for a wing…and subject of massive criticism….this is worse then his offense to me

2. I think our bigs are solid athletes (not elite) though. Mitchell is fine even Bradshaw was hyped as a plus athlete….jr looks a hair better athlete then Dakari…he’s not Noel Richard’s level athlete …more Thiero would plug this one

3. Then finally…just mot mentally strong to play defense many games . Reed wanders all over rhe court and csn guess a passing lane…and many times hes out of position and gives up open shots/lanes. Guys don’t know the scouting report….go under screen on this player or do we chase over it…..do we fight thru screens or not…..who are we willing to rotate off and leave open vs not. We are especially bad at this…..Texas am game….we allowed those guards to take all the shots (which is their gameplan) and don’t make other players beat us

All I all….its absurd to allow Georgia to score 96 pts….even if refs called some crap..//that was ymca pick up game effort…and there is a coach for a reason

But let's not put it all on the defense, it's bad, but,, the 2 losses where on the road against really good teams capable of beating anyone at home. SC and A&M have and will to continue to beat good teams at home. Not to mention Both played out of their minds against us. We did stink it up at SC. They could have played their B or C game and still won. A&M was a OT loss where there 2 best players went off, it happens.
So we have lost to Kansas on a neutral floor, UNCW at home, not as bad as it looks, @ A&M, and @ SC. The sky is not falling, it's just some of our fans are always on the ledge ready to jump. EVERY team in CBB has struggled on the road. NO exceptions. Our 2 losses was quad 1, so it could have been worse. Other teams have a lot worse losses then we do.

To me, it’s just this simple: when we need to get stops, can we ?? So far, I’ve not seen that we can. You simply have to be able to do this to win six (6) in a row in March.

Reactions: gbl97
Because we need a 4 and 5 that can switch the ball screen and defend the other team's best guard. That's a rare specimen we just haven't gotten the last several years probably since bam.

So instead of changing anything, we see slower footed guys get cooked on the switch all game long.

Last year, many were blaming Oscar for inability to defend against the high pick and roll. Well, certainly seems the very same issue exists again this season with 4 different players being used as the center. Was it Oscar, or what they are being taught?

and, for consecutive games, the in bounds play under our defensive hoop has been pathetic. gimme lay ups with no defender within 5 feet.

Seems the problem is the SYSTEM, not any particular player.

rr

Defense has a lot to do with attitude and an understanding of help rotations along with some basketball iq. If tore hugging a guy 40ft from the basketball and he continues to get around you……maybe you shouldn’t try to pressure him that far away and take a step back. Your teammates have to know how to rotate and then recover, have an attitude that you’re going to shut down your opponent as well. Hustle, defense, and rebounding take zero talent……takes a want to.

Imagine being an offensive coordinator in football and the defensive game plan was given to you by the other coach as he is cocky and arrogant and thinks his defense will stop you any way. There’s your answer. Cal gives every D1 coach his defensive gameplan in how we are going to guard them so they get to spend up to 3/4 days in practice every day preparing for what we are going to do.

Would be nice to change up some things too.. Throw some press, go Zone, try a 1-3-1, Box N 1. Really anything to help the kids get in a flow defensively. I think that is my biggest frustration with the Defense.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
But let's not put it all on the defense, it's bad, but,, the 2 losses where on the road against really good teams capable of beating anyone at home. SC and A&M have and will to continue to beat good teams at home. Not to mention Both played out of their minds against us. We did stink it up at SC. They could have played their B or C game and still won. A&M was a OT loss where there 2 best players went off, it happens.
So we have lost to Kansas on a neutral floor, UNCW at home, not as bad as it looks, @ A&M, and @ SC. The sky is not falling, it's just some of our fans are always on the ledge ready to jump. EVERY team in CBB has struggled on the road. NO exceptions. Our 2 losses was quad 1, so it could have been worse. Other teams have a lot worse losses then we do.
Well ….

USC will not be a good team in rhe end….lost at home to miss st. They will not be a ncaa tournament team …maybe not NIT team

Texas am I do think is more legit

Nit dropping two road games this early in sec slate and we have not gone to Tennessee Auburn or Bama…..not a good start and it’s the defense that is a sieve

In my opinion, we should be amping up the pressure to force more steals and create transition opportunities.

That combined with running people off the line and funneling into our shot blockers should give us good enough defense to beat pretty much anyone, especially when we’re scoring in the 90s.

In my opinion, we should be amping up the pressure to force more steals and create transition opportunities.

That combined with running people off the line and funneling into our shot blockers should give us good enough defense to beat pretty much anyone, especially when we’re scoring in the 90s.

Especially true if you are going to run 10-11 guys out there. At least take advantage of depth and chew into shot clock if teams try and slow us down.

Biggest problem with our defense is defensive rebounding.

Teams are shooting 42% from the field against us. 32% from 3.

That’s not bad defense.

But if you let them have 2 and 3 shots every time they cross mid court it’s not good.

That’s where the KP numbers are skewed if one is looking at them for defensive efficiency.

KP doesn’t count an offensive rebound as a new possession.

So if they are shooting 32% from 3 and take one and miss it, get the offensive rebound and take another 3 and make it, the KP numbers will show they scored 3 points on one possession.

That’s something I always said when people busted on Oscar for his defense. Defensive rebounding is defense.

Our man defense is not terrible. It certainly could improve.

Our pick and roll defense is much improved.

Our help defense is awful. It almost always is with young players because they just don’t know.

You would think it would be better with 2 5th year seniors playing major minutes. But they are 2 of our worst defenders.

We just have to improve our defensive rebounding.

Most of our defensive problems will go away if we stop giving up offensive rebounds.

That’s not bad defense.

But if you let them have 2 and 3 shots every time they cross mid court it’s not good.

That’s where the KP numbers are skewed if one is looking at them for defensive efficiency.

So if they are shooting 32% from 3 and take one and miss it, get the offensive rebound and take another 3 and make it, the KP numbers will show they scored 3 points on one possession.

That’s something I always said when people busted on Oscar for his defense. Defensive rebounding is defense.

Our help defense is awful. It almost always is with young players because they just don’t know.

You would think it would be better with 2 5th year seniors playing major minutes. But they are 2 of our worst defenders.

Most of our defensive problems will go away if we stop giving up offensive rebounds.
I agree with this, but I would also like to see a scheme adjustment to generate more steals, considering our personnel.

We kind of get caught in no man’s land - gambling for steals but not getting enough to justify being out of position and giving up so many offensive rebounds.

That’s not bad defense.

Only one of our 4 losses can be contributed to poor rebounding and that was Texas A&M. Kansas had 7 offensive boards, UNCW had 8, and South Carolina had 10 which hardly caused us to get run out of the gym. In fact in SEC play we haven’t given up more than 10 with the exception of A&M. Last years team gave up 9/game for reference.

Because . . .

1. Its really hard to guard man to man in todays game with quick athletes and the freedom given to how they can cup the ball and handle. You can literally take two steps resetting your feet to change direction on every hesitation or crossover dribble and thats a huge advantage to the offense.

2. Our guards are young and it just takes a while for them to get up to speed on how to guard at this level because they sure didnt see this level of talent and movement in high school.

3. Even with experience it takes guys that are physically minded because in order to guard today you cant give space and have to use your body contact as an equalizer. When you are bodied up they cant cross over because you've turned them sideways and out of attack mode. Our guys dont fit that description and struggle with contact right now. I think they have the want to, just not the physical nature yet.

Reactions: ukfan1622
the refs like to whistle UK for fouls that normally are not called. Thus our guys dont guard very much for fear of fouling out of the game.

Well ….

USC will not be a good team in rhe end….lost at home to miss st. They will not be a ncaa tournament team …maybe not NIT team

Nit dropping two road games this early in sec slate and we have not gone to Tennessee Auburn or Bama…..not a good start and it’s the defense that is a sieve
Sounds more like you're wishing this is the case about USC becoming some "bad loss down the road.

If USC plays even at 75% of what they threw at us for the rest of the season, they won't be missing the dance.

If anything, I see A&M going south, not USC.

the refs like to whistle UK for fouls that normally are not called. Thus our guys dont guard very much for fear of fouling out of the game.
They also swallow the whistle against our opponents, particularly the more physical teams. I mean you can't play ultra-physical defense like they play and not get called for ONE SINGLE FOUL until nearly 12 minutes into a half. This game was more about the non-calls than the calls (except the ridiculous "cylinder" foul).

This builds confidence and makes it extremely hard for the offense of any team to get going. At some point, these refs need to call those teams' bluffs (especially next Saturday against UT) that they "can't call them all, so hack away". I mean, sure, they can't literally call them all, but they also can't ignore them all!

Agree, at Arkansas the home court advantage and the refs will either hurt us or play nice.

Whats the official opinion about the player creating contact with the defense? Should a foul be called just because a guard drives to the lane to make a layup and our guy is standing there straight up with their hands up? You know that bothers me a lot. It happens way too much.

Last year, many were blaming Oscar for inability to defend against the high pick and roll. Well, certainly seems the very same issue exists again this season with 4 different players being used as the center. Was it Oscar, or what they are being taught?

and, for consecutive games, the in bounds play under our defensive hoop has been pathetic. gimme lay ups with no defender within 5 feet.

Seems the problem is the SYSTEM, not any particular player.

rr
Meh, Oscar was a 22 year old senior. He didnt start out under Cal. Huggins is known as a super good defensive coach. So you are saying it's both Huggy and Cals fault O couldn't guard a fence post ? Sorry. I am going to disagree with he was Cals fault. In their defense, Bradshaw is a freshman and Onyenso is pretty much a freshman. BOTH was injured and missed valuable time. Not ready to gash Cal for their lack of defensive chops.
The one poster talking about Bam, uh yeah he and Nerlens are Very rare breeds than can guard 1-5. If you are banking on having one of those on your roster, lol. Good luck.

Would be nice to change up some things too.. Throw some press, go Zone, try a 1-3-1, Box N 1. Really anything to help the kids get in a flow defensively. I think that is my biggest frustration with the Defense.
Lol. Box and one. It hasn't been played in 20 years. Maybe longer. Hell you left out diamond and 2. You must have been the kid who tried to draw defensive plays for your rec league team. Those are all junk defenses and there is a reason they got the name. When nobody has seen those it might have worked. Now days, lol, there is a reason they are a dinosaur.

Well ….

Well I will just say this; your agenda is truly shining thru. No clue what you are talking about.
1. They SC beat Miss. State.
They have 3 losses. @ ranked Clemson, @ Bama (hey on the road in conference), and Georgia ( don't even try and use Georgia as a bad team. They are very tough out.)
They have some really good wins, a tournament team in 18-2 Grand Canyon, Miss. State, @ Arkansas, and UK. And before you try to discredit GCU, they have a very good win over ranked SD State.

Coaching, demand, and want to. They are too good of athletes not to be able to play defense. Defenses 85% want to.

These 5* AAU one hit wonders haven't played defense since the 4th grade. Defense doesn't get you noticed only highlight reel offense and showman matter. You can't unlearn this stuff in 4 months
And they should sit on the bench until they learn. That's a problem since it goes against Cal's philosophy. He would rather give his 5-stars the start and play them major minutes—can you say Edwards?—than win.
Afterward, he likes to say "We didn't do this and we didn't do that", not accepting that he is the "fly in the ointment" in his lineups and the way the team played.
I know the players do the playing, but the coach has to keep them from playing pickup basketball.

Last edited:
Well ….

Sc is 16 and 3. I seriously doubt they do not win the 2 to 3 games max needed to secure said NIT bid.

2 things pop out when you watch our kids play defense:

1. HORRIBLE angles. We take the EASY way out on Pick-And-Roll by either going under the screen or the man guarding the screener doesn't make the ball handler take a wider angle out and instead gives them a CLEAR path to the bucket. It AMAZES me that Cal hasn't fixed this yet. Heck, if he could make Jorts an adequate defender, surely he can get these much more athletic kids to do better.

2. We are giving help when NO help is needed too often. We are leaving the opponents WIDE OPEN for 3 pt attempts. I don't care how bad a team is at 3pt%, leave them open and they will make enough to kill you. With our Bigs all being great shot blockers, why not funnel the opponents guards into the lane where we can alter or block their shots at the goal instead of allowing them to kick it out for a 3??? The last few games I've noticed the opposing team running set plays off of our help defense by leaving a 3 pt shooter on the side opposite the ball, usually in the corner, for a wide open look when they swing it back to him.

These 2 areas are also the biggest reason we are giving up offensive rebounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT