ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Mills' shot vs Duke more iconic than Padgett's shot?

The celebration of the UK bench after both shots is what always sticks in my mind.

Fantastic game. I was on campus at UK, it was the the Sunday Spring Break ended, so not everyone was back, but we had a big celebration in my dorm.

Reactions: ruppcat
When Mills hit his shot,the place(eruppted).When Scott hit his it was icing on the cake.Tex,would you say the crowd was about 70-30 pro UK?
I betcha Mills wakes up in the middle of the night with adrealine pumping thinking about that shot.

It sure seemed like it! Maybe we all were at max vocal output nonstop Dukies behind me kept tellin is to sit down as if they really wanted to see us pluck their big lead away. I was hoarse for a week afterwards
Hahaha

I was there with my dad, one of my greatest memories with him. I would say it was 65% UK fans, 35% mix of Duke, UCLA and can't remember the 4th team??

I remember when they would show highlights and sell photos of that game, it was always of the shot by Cameron Mills to finally take the lead instead of Padgett's game-winning shot.

Why was that considered more memorable? I think Padgett's shot is one of the more underrated ones ever.
Because.

Because Mills shot gave UK its first lead of the entire game and capped the remarkable comeback from down 17 with less than 10 min.
Still the most improbable win outside the LSU game I’ve ever seen. We were getting whipped that entire game, I was so sad and then it’s like a light went off and we dominated them quickly.

Hard to believe that was over a quarter century ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

It's a totally different college basketball world today. And not in a good way.
The world was totally different, I’d give up all technology of now to go back honestly. I made my Sega and home camcorder work just fine lol.

Because Mills shot gave UK its 1st lead of the game with only about 2 minutes left.

Last edited:
I remember when they would show highlights and sell photos of that game, it was always of the shot by Cameron Mills to finally take the lead instead of Padgett's game-winning shot.

Why was that considered more memorable? I think Padgett's shot is one of the more underrated ones ever.

The reason you see Mills' shot more is Cameron has made that shot more accessible. Scott has gone on to his coaching career and Mills stayed local. I don't know how many signings he has had with that shot also including the Cameron Mills' show, and camps he does year in and year out.

This is the correct answer. Over the years Mills did numerous, numerous autograph signings for prints of that pic.

Padgett's shot is far more iconic, apparently everywhere but the Fayette mall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT