ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Mills' shot vs Duke more iconic than Padgett's shot?

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
I remember when they would show highlights and sell photos of that game, it was always of the shot by Cameron Mills to finally take the lead instead of Padgett's game-winning shot.

Why was that considered more memorable? I think Padgett's shot is one of the more underrated ones ever.

Then I should have been able to find that shot as a framed photo in the Fayette Mall's galleria but it was always of Cameron's shot.

Never understood that.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Then I should have been able to find that shot as a framed photo in the Fayette Mall's galleria but it was always of Cameron's shot.

Never understood that.

Yes, because the Fayette Mall's galleria is the true test for iconic moments in sports. If it's not there, it's not an iconic moment.

Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Cam Mills' picture probably sold better, because I believe he was a Lexington kid, correct? I could be wrong. And it's not like Padgett wasn't from Kentucky too. I didnt' google any of this. I could be wrong. Who am I?

Reactions: Blouman
If someone told you in '92 that a slow walk on from the Lexington area, who couldn't guard a parked car, would cap off the most important comeback in program history against Duke, no less, you'd think that person was living in a fantasy world.

The fact that we had two Kentucky guys do it is still unbelievable, 18 years (!!!) after the fact.

Never understood that.

The reason you see Mills' shot more is Cameron has made that shot more accessible. Scott has gone on to his coaching career and Mills stayed local. I don't know how many signings he has had with that shot also including the Cameron Mills' show, and camps he does year in and year out.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Both shots were simply CLUTCH, and as others have said, the fact two Kentucky boys made them makes it sweeter.
My son and I watch that game every so often, and I never tire of it; it was a great night to be a UK fan.

Yeah my favorite game ever. That outranks any title game of final four for me.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
as was I by golly. Both were big shots that brought the roof down. Scott running back down court yelling with arms in air does stand out for a better pic to me. Hence, have one signed by him at an autograph setting. It's on the office wall too! [thumb2]
Did anybody sit next to a Duke fan and if so What was their reaction during the last 10:00 of the game?

Either way, I find it interesting that Cam was actually in a really bad funk to that point. So, to hit a shot like that when you've been struggling... I can only imagine how euphoric that must've felt.

Reactions: Bkocats
I loved both shots equally. It was one of the most enjoyable games I've watched ever, but one of the worst days ever because I was watching it sick. Before the game I was throwing up all day to the point of dry heaves. I also had a fever and a really bad headache. So you can imagine how you feel being sick and upset that we were getting dominated for 3/4 of the game.

Then the run came which upped the excitement level, that in turn caused the heart rate to increase adding to the headache. We get the lead and my head feels like it will explode. Then throw in the nervousness worrying if this would be another Laettner moment with Duke having the ball with 5 seconds to go and Avery bringing the ball up. I think with each step he took, my heartbeat increased and the pressure in my head kept building.

Dribble, boom, dribble, boom boom, dribble, boom boom boom, contested halfcourt shot, boom boom boom boom, miss off the backboard, Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom. That lasted for about another five minutes as I was yelling and jumping around until I could finally calm back down. It was probably the most miserable but happiest day of my life up to that point. Finally getting that Blue Devil off my back after 6 years of CBS highlights of "there's the pass to Laettner, puts it up..........yeesssssss" (while every time I relived punching a hole in my wall and yelling nooooooooo). I wouldn't trade that day for anything.

I was at that game on the front row, center court. I thought Mills shot was more important because IMO that shot broke Duke's back. Ratfaces' wife was sitting behind me a few rows
back. She was chirping the whole second half. When Mills hit that shot, I turned around and she was gone. She's as classless as he is.

Either way, I find it interesting that Cam was actually in a really bad funk to that point. So, to hit a shot like that when you've been struggling... I can only imagine how euphoric that must've felt.

It was Mills first basket of the tournament and the Cats first lead of the gm.
As Packer exclaimed: "They've been waiting on it"!!

Agreed -
And maybe it's because Cam was definitely a walk-on; never expected to play much. Scott was actually recruited to UK and was expected to be a major player. Both though - loved those guys

as was I by golly. Both were big shots that brought the roof down. Scott running back down court yelling with arms in air does stand out for a better pic to me. Hence, have one signed by him at an autograph setting. It's on the office wall too! [thumb2]

When Mills hit his shot,the place(eruppted).When Scott hit his it was icing on the cake.Tex,would you say the crowd was about 70-30 pro UK?

Reactions: ruppcat and TexKat
Did anybody sit next to a Duke fan and if so What was their reaction during the last 10:00 of the game?

My cousin was sitting by one and it wasn't pretty at the end,the Duke fan was chirping at the smaller cousin but wanted no part of the bigger cousin.

Reactions: TexKat
When Mills hit his shot,the place(eruppted).When Scott hit his it was icing on the cake.Tex,would you say the crowd was about 70-30 pro UK?
It sure seemed like it! Maybe we all were at max vocal output nonstop Dukies behind me kept tellin is to sit down as if they really wanted to see us pluck their big lead away. I was hoarse for a week afterwards

Reactions: TeoJ
Went back and watched the final 10 minutes as I do from time to time. Man I just loved how Heshimu got after it and made so many hustle plays. There is a time where he ends up on Wojo up top and he is literally stalking the dude. His footwork in that short sequence should be shown to every perimeter defender. And obviously the Mills shot doesn't happen if he doesn't tip it back out off the miss. Loved that guy.

Last edited:
The big thing about Mill's shot was he was coming out of the game. Mills was struggling on defense, and I remember someone at the scorers table was coming in for him, but play went on for a few minutes with out stoppage, so he was never able to be subbed for. I guess it was just fate!!

They were deflated and speechless that they could get owned that much. Long faces by all

It was a Duke love fest before the game by all except UK fans. I had one usher after the game tell me UK will lose in the final four.........I said at least we'll be there to play for it.(He had no come back).The Blue mist did take over after the game.Actually they took over the town before the game.:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Part of it is just because fans so loved the narrative about Mills being the slow-footed church-going little walk on swinging above his weight class. Seems like about everything Mills did got exaggerated/embellished by a good chunk of the fan base.

Reactions: ruppcat
Loved it! I was only 7 years old so can't recall the game...

But I bet those missed free throws down the stretch really make us sweat! lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT