ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Louisville getting so much attention

Sep 2, 2014
for beating UNCC by 70-14 ? I don't get it. Why is ESPN making such a big deal about it. I know Lamar Jackson is talented but he still takes off too quickly, doesn't go through his progressions, check downs or have good vision.

Big deal. They basically beat an FCS team. We beat the same team by almost as much last year by 50 pts. I know they took most of their starters out after 1st half but it still doesn't prove anything.

In fact, Louisville's Offensive line struggled a lot early in the game against lowly UNCC's blitz and Lamar Jackson couldn't even get set to throw the ball in the 1st quarter. That tells me that if their O-Line can't hold UNCC, they really are not good and are going to be huge weak spot against better talent when they stat playing real teams like Houston, Clemson and FSU.

for beating UNCC by 70-14 ? I don't get it. Why is ESPN making such a big deal about it. I know Lamar Jackson is talented but he still takes off too quickly, doesn't go through his progressions, check downs or have good vision.

Big deal. They basically beat an FCS team. We beat the same team by almost as much last year by 50 pts. I know they took most of their starters out after 1st half but it still doesn't prove anything.

In fact, Louisville's Offensive line struggled a lot early in the game against lowly UNCC's blitz and Lamar Jackson couldn't even get set to throw the ball in the 1st quarter. That tells me that if their O-Line can't hold UNCC, they really are not good and are going to be huge weak spot against better talent when they stat playing real teams like Houston, Clemson and FSU.

Because it's a big deal to score 70 on the worst team in college football especially if you're a sporting media group constantly pimping the ACC.

Reactions: Smashcat

Well, I am just responding to your premise. Your premise is that Louisville is getting a lot of attention. I'm not saying that is a true statement or false statement but let's assume it is true.

1. They played on the first early football day in which they are one of the few teams that played and a football starved nation is interested in the only 3-4 games that were played on Thursday.

2. They are an 8-5 team with practically everyone returning so they have the expectation and being a good team.

3. They have several marquee players in Devante Fields and Harvey Clemens.

4. They have an electric, exciting, highlight film making QB. Anyone who doesn't like watching Lamar Jackson play and marvel at his speed than you just have an anti-Louisville agenda. Anyone who loves football would like to watch him play and have curiosity in what type of a game he had or didn't have.

Reactions: Hard2Bluff
Also, UofL scored more points than anybody else on the first two days while playing the first team offense only one half. Jackson running for 2 TDs and passing for 6 more in one half is also noteworthy. Even if the opponent was hot garbage, there probably will not be a performance to match those numbers the entire rest of this year.

Regarding the OL blocking problems, what actually happened was that Charlotte was very aggressive blitzing from multiple defensive formations (they use 4-3, 4-2-5 and 3-3 stack). The blitzes were working early on (pretty hard to block 7 guys with 5, even with a great OL) until Petrino started calling running back and wide receiver screens to counter the blitzes. That adjustment (and the Charlotte coach's stubborn decision to continue blitzing the entire first half) is what unleashed the offensive onslaught.

Good luck to the Cats tonight!

So he threw for 300 yards and 6td in the first half and he isn't going through progressions lol. My Lord how are some of our fans so delusional!

Because supposed UK fans on this site are consumed with all things LV such that they can't help themselves from starting new threads here about them.

Because supposed UK fans on this site are consumed with all things LV such that they can't help themselves from starting new threads here about them.

Exactly....they don't deserve all of the threads they get here.......yet they constantly get them

Also, UofL scored more points than anybody else on the first two days while playing the first team offense only one half. Jackson running for 2 TDs and passing for 6 more in one half is also noteworthy. Even if the opponent was hot garbage, there probably will not be a performance to match those numbers the entire rest of this year.

Regarding the OL blocking problems, what actually happened was that Charlotte was very aggressive blitzing from multiple defensive formations (they use 4-3, 4-2-5 and 3-3 stack). The blitzes were working early on (pretty hard to block 7 guys with 5, even with a great OL) until Petrino started calling running back and wide receiver screens to counter the blitzes. That adjustment (and the Charlotte coach's stubborn decision to continue blitzing the entire first half) is what unleashed the offensive onslaught.

Good luck to the Cats tonight!
You sound like a UL fan?
Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing-320x320.gif

The reason that they get threads is because a UL fans begins them and some of their buddies chime in on cue....

I think UL has a good team but not a great team. For years they played a high school schedule which made their wins almost automatic. Then they'd get a bowl game where their opponent didn't have a lot of emotion and sleep walked all the while UL treated the game like a Super Bowl trying to get respect. Apparently that worked out well for them. Now they're in a better conference but they have roughly three games against top tier opponents. Throw in the fact that they get FSU at home and the table is once again set to have a good record. We've been terrible so we have no right to beat our chests but if UL played in the SEC (or a few other conferences) they'd be a middle of the pack team IMO.

I think UL has a good team but not a great team. For years they played a high school schedule which made their wins almost automatic. Then they'd get a bowl game where their opponent didn't have a lot of emotion and sleep walked all the while UL treated the game like a Super Bowl trying to get respect. Apparently that worked out well for them. Now they're in a better conference but they have roughly three games against top tier opponents. Throw in the fact that they get FSU at home and the table is once again set to have a good record. We've been terrible so we have no right to beat our chests but if UL played in the SEC (or a few other conferences) they'd be a middle of the pack team IMO.

Pretty spot on.

Lets be honest, if the shoe we on the other foot and we were winning like they have been they would be irrelevant here , but that's not the case. We just need to handle or biz and make them irrelevant again.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were doing your best to down play, discredit and make excuses for Louisville man handling top 5, one loss Florida, who had NFL players all over the roster. Okay, fair take, I guess by default you are implying UF is super amped up for UK for 29 straight years? They've played UK right before Tennessee or right after Tennessee for decades. I'm sure they're super psyched for Kentucky every year. Much more than a Sugar Bowl. Obviously beating 3rd ranked Florida in the SB is a cake walk. It's not like we had to play them before UT for 29 straight years, half of those home games. I smell an irrational agenda. It can be spotted a mile away. Couldn't be any more transparent.

I don't think many are making a big deal out of UL. Everyone knows FSU/Clemson rule that division and UL is a distant 3rd. I was amazed so many of our fans were watching and obsessing over that awful "scrimmage" from the other night. I mean I was busy watching UT/App ST and even some vandy/SC, but we had people on here actually watching and analyzing the UL/Charlotte game...it was humorous.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were doing your best to down play, discredit and make excuses for Louisville man handling top 5, one loss Florida, who had NFL players all over the roster. Okay, fair take, I guess by default you are implying UF is super amped up for UK for 29 straight years? They've played UK right before Tennessee or right after Tennessee for decades. I'm sure they're super psyched for Kentucky every year. Much more than a Sugar Bowl. Obviously beating 3rd ranked Florida in the SB is a cake walk. It's not like we had to play them before UT for 29 straight years, half of those home games. I smell an irrational agenda. It can be spotted a mile away. Couldn't be any more transparent.

Calm down and learn to read EVERYTHING instead of pulling out only the comments you can use in your response. You've got 'Steelers' syndrome. I said we were terrible and had no right to beat our chest. You must have missed that part. I never even addressed our bad losing streaks and I don't deny our bad football history at all. But the post didn't say a damn thing about those issues. The thread is about why UL is getting so much attention. That's what I addressed and I stand by my comments. One more time: UL has beaten terrible teams which allowed their record to be slanted in their favor. I can't deny that UL beat Florida and a few other good teams in their bowl wins. Say what you want but I think Florida checked out of the Sugar Bowl before the game started. UL's good, not great and playing 7-8 games a year against terrible teams has enabled them to 'appear' to be a lot better than they really are.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Agree with you but UofLoL would not be a middle of the pack SEC team. Middle of the pack East perhaps; routinely 6th or 7th in the West.

Agree with you but UofLoL would not be a middle of the pack SEC team. Middle of the pack East perhaps; routinely 6th or 7th in the West.

You're probably correct. I probably did give them a little too much credit. But be really careful with your comments because some UL fan (DerVille) roasted me and my comments. Pretty much said UL would compete for the Super Bowl championship if given the chance. If you can beat a strong team like Charlotte (at home) you're definitely on a collision course for a National Championship !!

Reactions: WildcatofNati
If we were as good as UL, we would want to build statues of Mark Stoops. The reality is they are light years ahead of us, and that's hard to stomach, but it doesn't make it any less true. What I don't get is why some even worry about it. Until we get our own program straightened out, I don't really see the point of worrying about anyone else, rival or not.

As long as UK remains in the Commonweath and still plays college football; UL football will remain most relevant to UK fans.

If those few UK fans questioning UL understood college football, they would understand why UL is being discussed on a national level. The fact that some on this board cannot understand why UL's OL struggled in the first two series against the 49ers is further evidence that some just do not understand what a blitz can do to disrupt an offense. Petrino adjusted and most intelligent football fans understood why the Cards posted 56 points in that half.

Calm down and learn to read EVERYTHING instead of pulling out only the comments you can use in your response. You've got 'Steelers' syndrome. I said we were terrible and had no right to beat our chest. You must have missed that part. I never even addressed our bad losing streaks and I don't deny our bad football history at all. But the post didn't say a damn thing about those issues. The thread is about why UL is getting so much attention. That's what I addressed and I stand by my comments. One more time: UL has beaten terrible teams which allowed their record to be slanted in their favor. I can't deny that UL beat Florida and a few other good teams in their bowl wins. Say what you want but I think Florida checked out of the Sugar Bowl before the game started. UL's good, not great and playing 7-8 games a year against terrible teams has enabled them to 'appear' to be a lot better than they really are.

HEY STEELERS- I see where you 'liked' my post. Why would you like a post where I belittle you and say negative things (though well deserved and true) about you and your beloved team ? I don't visit your board and stalk you so why do you stalk me ?

Reactions: Steelers2012

They aren't in the SEC, and you have no idea where'd they'd consistently place. The ol' hypothetical situation take. You "know" exactly what would happen in your made up scenario. Okay, whatever.

This thread is a prime example of UL fans getting to say whatever they want on our site while even half of this kind of stuff would result in auto-ban on their site.

They aren't in the SEC, and you have no idea where'd they'd consistently place. The ol' hypothetical situation take. You "know" exactly what would happen in your made up scenario. Okay, whatever.
Correct. I know exactly what would happen.:sunglasses:

They get so much attention from people like the OP that always want to talk UL football. I couldn't care less about what UL is or isn't doing on the football field. It's not like we're talking about a football powerhouse. Every year when we play UL, it's a game we always have a chance to win. It's not like UL fans understand what it's like playing in a league like the SEC. They will beat a team from the SEC every 10 years or so and think that is their reality and what would happen everytime if they were in the SEC. Truth is, talent wise Kentucky and UL are about a like. The difference being they have to play 2 or 3 SEC like teams a year while we have to play 7 or 8 of those type of teams a year. When that's the case, they will always end the year with a better record. They are doing well, but will never be as elite at football as their fans currently think.

Reactions: WildcatofNati
LouisvilleKat: I was not suggesting anything at all like that, but considering that PJCS is expanding seats at the very same time that Commonwealth is retracting its size. I do not see either one leaving.

This thread is a prime example of UL fans getting to say whatever they want on our site while even half of this kind of stuff would result in auto-ban on their site.

Nothing out of line has been posted. Sure it's a pro UK site but it's not limited to ONLY UK fans. All the post in this thread have been civil and it was started by a UK fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT