ADVERTISEMENT

Why I think Iowa will still want Stoops

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Whenever the subject comes up, folks respond that Iowa will not want Coach Stoops when Ferentz retires, because of his mediocre seasons.

These posts ignore the absolute disregard the whole nation has had for Kentucky football for 70 years.

This article spells it out: it acknowledges the natives (here) are restless, but shows Stoops respect given the background/program history he inherited.

“ But at a program known (if for anything) for irrelevance, Stoops has a chance to add another notch to the growing list of achievements he has amassed with Kentucky football.”

Nationally, we have been traditionally viewed on the lowest rung possible in football. This impression is especiallly true for folks older than 50 years . . . old enough to remember that Hall of Fame Coach Jerry Claiborne amassed a losing record at Kentucky, and that Stoops looks brilliant in comparison.

And folks 50 and over make most hiring decisions most places.

I

Last edited:
Iowa has started scoring more than 3 points a game offensively this year, they might not want stoops.
We all know he can't hire a competent OC so they're not looking to revert to the old Iowa.
It was a wet dream for both a few years ago, hell it might still be but if I'm a Iowa fan after actually scoring a few points this year I'd be pissed with Stoops. Iowa needs a offensive guy, Iowa is always gonna attract a good D them cornfed boys tough.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
Coaching carousel season is always interesting and entertaining. Especially when top 20 ish programs like Iowa, who can pretty much pick anyone they want, are in the market.

I think Stoops overall record of what he’s done here is well thought of and respected. Whether or not it warrants a top 20 gig, only time will tell.

Right now for Iowa, if Ferentz retires, there are a couple of guys who I think will get calls before stoops.

Oregon DC-If you’re going Defensive route this is the guy.

Or Harbaughs right hand man that helped him win last year.

I think this IU guy is going to ping on radars. He’s older but what he’s done is nothing short or miraculous. Hes tearing up the big 10 with a lot of James Madison guys.

You got Reilly OC at Clemson who’s going to get some looks.

Chip Kelly…does he get the itch again?

I wouldn't be shocked if they stayed in house with LeVar Woods. Iowa guy through and through and by all indications players and alumni love him...which is huge in the day of NIL.

Whenever the subject comes up, folks respond that Iowa will not want Coach Stoops when Ferentz retires, because of his mediocre seasons.

These posts ignore the absolute disregard the whole nation has had for Kentucky football for 70 years.

This article spells it out: it acknowledges the natives (here) are restless, but shows Stoops respect given the background/program history he inherited.

“ But at a program known (if for anything) for irrelevance, Stoops has a chance to add another notch to the growing list of achievements he has amassed with Kentucky football.”

Nationally, we have been traditionally viewed on the lowest rung possible in football. This impression is especiallly true for folks older than 50 years . . . old enough to remember that Hall of Fame Coach Jerry Claiborne amassed a losing record at Kentucky, and that Stoops looks brilliant in comparison.

I
What you state is what many here don't fully understand, Stoops has his faults to be sure, but his overall success here outshines anyone since Bryant

Stoops is well respected nationally.
Every podcast I listen to brings him up way more than any not top 25 team should be.

But new coaches for schools like Iowa are either unproven with potential or old and highly accomplished. No one hires for stability except dregs like Vandy or Boston College. Teams coming off probation or an eleven loss season. Auburn, Florida, Arkansas, Iowa would be lucky to have him. But they want the dream they could be getting Kirby Smart or the next Kirby Smart

and that realization makes uk football even more pathetic
☹️

Pathetic?

Try humiliating.

I personally watched Kentucky give North East Louisiana their first P5 victory in 1994, a season with only one win.

I attended several games in 1982, a 0 win season.

During comparatively “good” years under Claiborne, we went more than three full years without a road win.

Whens Stoops arrived, Kentucky had gone longer (ultimately 41 years) without ten wins, than all of P5 football save the three programs that have never had ten wins (Vandy, Iowa State and IU).

Yep, decades of shitty football.

Hence the theme of the article linked.

At age 59 I’m well acquainted with the piss-poor history of UK FB. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but IMO having Iowa hire Stoops away from us after Ferentz retires is a “Ransom of Red Chief” fever dream. I just don’t see it happening.

I’ve stated on multiple threads that I appreciate and respect what Stoops has done here at UK. However, I firmly believe he’s taken us about as far as he can. I would not shed too many tears if he were to decide to retire sooner rather than later.

I
Prayer GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT