ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't the Hurley logic extend to Sheppard?

Complete BS. If you get 2 million dollars at nineteen you are set unless your clueless. What planet are you on? Money doubles roughly every 7 years. If he stayed at UK 4 years he's have 5 or 6 million (after tax). Are you kidding me? His kids wouldn't have to work eventually.
For money to double in 7 years, you would have to have an investment account that produces a 12% yield.

Coach Pope was talking about how Reed and his family are really putting it in the hands of Gods direction. I don’t believe in God so idk what that might look like, but I do know that usually when people say they are gonna pray on a decision, they almost always decide to do what they want to do, even if in some cases it means ignoring good advice from actual real people they know, love, and trust. That’s kind of human nature, no matter what your spiritual beliefs are.

That being said, it means one of two things. 1. It’s kind of an arbitrary thing people say when they need more time to make a decision, because reality is, at the end of the day Reed has to make his choice and do what he feels is right. Or 2, I go on what little I know about “God” to think about what they would think about Reed’s choices. God is gonna tell Reed to go to the NBA for the money and a shitty league culture? To make it clear, I enjoy the fan culture around the NBA, but the league culture is horrendous. If it’s really up to God, the choice is pretty freakin clear ain’t it? And the money is still gonna be there.
For someone who doesn’t believe in God, you sure claim to know a lot about him

The difference is that Sheppard is 19 years old and Dan Hurley is 51 years old.

You can be a basketball coach any where between ages 30 and 70 (give or take a few years on both sides) so that's 40 years you can spend coaching.

For the NBA, when you hit 30 years old there's a stark decline in the number of NBA players. And I'd argue that a lot of players never make it to 30.

While I agree that Sheppard may struggle for longevity in the NBA, perhaps playing until he is 25-27 years old, the longer he postpones his NBA career, the fewer years he'll have playing in the NBA.

But... what is more important to him? Playing in the NBA or being a legend at UK?

There's a thread here about retaining Ullis as a coach. Ullis is probably of a similar mold to Sheppard. You really had to wonder if Ullis would be successful in the NBA. He last 2 years in the NBA. If he would have finished out at UK, he likely would have been a legend at UK. That's not faulting Ullis for leaving early - because it really depends on what is important to the individual.

I don't think it's a money issue with Sheppard. I think it's a personal desire issue with Sheppard. How badly does he want to play in the NBA? How important is it for him to be a legend at UK?

Most people's understanding of prayer seems to be whatever they want it to be.

Just seems a bit silly to say you're praying hard over 2 great choices, particularly when much of religion is centered around the idea of freedom of choice.
Again and with all due respect for someone who doesn’t believe in prayer it’s probably best just not to comment on it. Those of us who do believe in prayer understand why prayer plays a role in this type of decision or any other decision for that matter. Of course it seems silly to you since you don’t believe in it, just like all the “green” nonsense seems silly to me since I don’t believe in climate change.

Reactions: dezyDeco
It’s basic math. Would you rather have 5 million and be somewhat cautious with your money or 100 million and buy a 2 million dollar home and not worry.

Again and with all due respect for someone who doesn’t believe in prayer it’s probably best just not to comment on it. Those of us who do believe in prayer understand why prayer plays a role in this type of decision or any other decision for that matter. Of course it seems silly to you since you don’t believe in it, just like all the “green” nonsense seems silly to me since I don’t believe in climate change.
Lol, I don't believe in Aliens or that the world is flat, so I should never discuss them? Yet, you're calling something nonsense that you don’t believe in. That's some circular logic.

That is your interpretation of prayer, but what role does it really play? You're taking something you feel and interpreting as what you think another entity is trying to guide you towards, but ultimately it's just your interpretation of what you want that entity to say.

Praying for God to put you in a situation to have that choice would be one thing, praying to God to help you choose between two already great choices that you likely already feel he blessed you with in the first place seems a bit illogical. At some point you have to make the choice you want, which is what it was always going to be regardless. This whole praying about do I want to be an NBA star or CBB star just diminishes it.

On the contrary, it’s an example of my first position. Didn’t take long for Drew to decide to do what he wanted to do. He didn’t want to leave Baylor so he didn’t. God had nothing to do with that. People just say that stuff, it’s lines in a play.

That’s just your take on things. You have no idea what is in another person’s mind.

It’s basic math. Would you rather have 5 million and be somewhat cautious with your money or 100 million and buy a 2 million dollar home and not worry.
Lots of people out there have made $100 million without ever stepping on an NBA court. Reed will obviously get the opportunity to do that, whether it's this year or next. What a lot of people here are saying is Reed's Financial future is not in jeapordy regardless of which direction he goes. What it seems a lot of you think it comes down to is how greedy does he want to be? What if Reed's post playing day goal is to live it up with a nice house in London KY and tooling around Lake Laurel in the summers. Doesn't take bagillions to do that, and his dad owns a wealth management company. I have to think his money will get invested responsibly no matter his path in life.

If you’re in the lottery you have to go, it’s just not smart to do otherwise. If it were my son, go get your money, 15 million goes a long way in building a great life.

Very true, but he could also make more than that in the first year of his second NBA contract, in 4 years.

Grayson Allen just signed for $17.5 million a year for showing what a shooter can get. I am not comparing the Tripper to Reed, he just signed so its current news)

His dad was one of my favorites, so he had it built in and I really would love for him to stay four years, but I understand if he goes.

He would be one of the few top 10 level draft picks I wouldn't be super shocked to see return though
This. If Reed stays he's essentially giving up 20+ million from his second contract. It's not worth it financially to stay at UK.

Lol, I don't believe in Aliens or that the world is flat, so I should never discuss them? Yet, you're calling something nonsense that you don’t believe in. That's some circular logic.

That is your interpretation of prayer, but what role does it really play? You're taking something you feel and interpreting as what you think another entity is trying to guide you towards, but ultimately it's just your interpretation of what you want that entity to say.

Praying for God to put you in a situation to have that choice would be one thing, praying to God to help you choose between two already great choices that you likely already feel he blessed you with in the first place seems a bit illogical. At some point you have to make the choice you want, which is what it was always going to be regardless. This whole praying about do I want to be an NBA star or CBB star just diminishes it.
There are a myriad of reasons that go into prayer when you understand that God is Omniscient (all knowing). He knows what happens if you stay (to you and others you encounter), he knows what happens if you go (to you and others you encounter). Some decisions alter ones course of life forever. Some people lean on prayer more than others, some people are able to discern Gods direction for their life vs their own while others can’t. Prayer is a very powerful tool at one’s disposal if used in earnest.

Hurley said that there comes a point in your life when you make so much money that you don't really have to worry about it anymore. He implied that UK offering him more than UConn offering him no longer made a difference. He was already filthy rich, already happy, and was not willing to compromise that happiness for a bigger pay day.

Pitino likewise said, retrospectively, that you can't "put a price tag on happiness." He said that in regards to regretting his leaving Kentucky.

So when grown men say things like this, we all get it and understand, but when it comes to a very unique situation like Reed Sheppard's, suddenly we ignore that same logic and reroute it to fit a narrative that denies Reed the same mentality that Hurley is stating.

Hurley: I'm already rich. I'm already happy. What's a few more million going to do to that happiness?

Sheppard: will be a millionaire at UK, and beyond. He's also happy playing for Kentucky and literally making millions of others happy. So why does the logic of "stay where you're happy and rich" apply to Hurley but not Sheppard?

The counterarguments go like this (and yes, they're weak):

Argument #1: Sheppard could get injured and it could all be lost.

Name a player in college basketball who had a career-ending injury in college that dramatically altered his draft status? Can you name three of them in the entire history of the sport?

Argument #2: It's a weak draft, and Sheppard's draft status will never be higher.

While this is true, do any of you actually believe Sheppard will suddenly forget how to play if he returns to UK? Even if his percentages decrease a bit, he's still going to be a lottery pick in 2024 or 2025 or whenever he chooses to leave Kentucky.

So then you're left with the same argument you guys made for Hurley that you refuse to make for Sheppard: we're talking about the difference in a millions of dollars over a career, but just like Hurley who will make over $100 million in his career, Sheppard will likewise make that type of money.

Bottom line: if Hurley could be happier and more beloved for taking less money, why can't Sheppard?

If Sheppard comes back, he still becomes an instant millionaire and will be set for life, even if he only plays basketball for one more year and decided to never play again. You make $2.5 million post tax, and you can live off the interest alone. So financially, the NIL mitigates a ton of risk, and the risk was already minimal anyway.

But if he came back, he'd be Pope's first "real guy" (like Mashburn was to Pitino), and Reed would have the opportunity to go down as possibly the most beloved Wildcat of all time.

How do you put a price on that? Is it possible, and if you could, how is that different than what Hurley is arguing from Storrs, that you can be rich, legendary, and happy for the rest of your life all at the same time, even if it means you're just a bit less rich than you would have been otherwise?

1) Chris Marcus from WKU
2) It gives scouts more time to pick apart his game which is why so many one and dones bounce and give off the image of perception.

Hurley said that there comes a point in your life when you make so much money that you don't really have to worry about it anymore. He implied that UK offering him more than UConn offering him no longer made a difference. He was already filthy rich, already happy, and was not willing to compromise that happiness for a bigger pay day.

Pitino likewise said, retrospectively, that you can't "put a price tag on happiness." He said that in regards to regretting his leaving Kentucky.

So when grown men say things like this, we all get it and understand, but when it comes to a very unique situation like Reed Sheppard's, suddenly we ignore that same logic and reroute it to fit a narrative that denies Reed the same mentality that Hurley is stating.

Hurley: I'm already rich. I'm already happy. What's a few more million going to do to that happiness?

Sheppard: will be a millionaire at UK, and beyond. He's also happy playing for Kentucky and literally making millions of others happy. So why does the logic of "stay where you're happy and rich" apply to Hurley but not Sheppard?

Name a player in college basketball who had a career-ending injury in college that dramatically altered his draft status? Can you name three of them in the entire history of the sport?

Argument #2: It's a weak draft, and Sheppard's draft status will never be higher.

While this is true, do any of you actually believe Sheppard will suddenly forget how to play if he returns to UK? Even if his percentages decrease a bit, he's still going to be a lottery pick in 2024 or 2025 or whenever he chooses to leave Kentucky.

So then you're left with the same argument you guys made for Hurley that you refuse to make for Sheppard: we're talking about the difference in a millions of dollars over a career, but just like Hurley who will make over $100 million in his career, Sheppard will likewise make that type of money.

Bottom line: if Hurley could be happier and more beloved for taking less money, why can't Sheppard?

If Sheppard comes back, he still becomes an instant millionaire and will be set for life, even if he only plays basketball for one more year and decided to never play again. You make $2.5 million post tax, and you can live off the interest alone. So financially, the NIL mitigates a ton of risk, and the risk was already minimal anyway.

But if he came back, he'd be Pope's first "real guy" (like Mashburn was to Pitino), and Reed would have the opportunity to go down as possibly the most beloved Wildcat of all time.

How do you put a price on that? Is it possible, and if you could, how is that different than what Hurley is arguing from Storrs, that you can be rich, legendary, and happy for the rest of your life all at the same time, even if it means you're just a bit less rich than you would have been otherwise?
This may be the dumbest post of all time. Please pin it to the top.

There are a myriad of reasons that go into prayer when you understand that God is Omniscient (all knowing). He knows what happens if you stay (to you and others you encounter), he knows what happens if you go (to you and others you encounter). Some decisions alter ones course of life forever. Some people lean on prayer more than others, some people are able to discern Gods direction for their life vs their own while others can’t. Prayer is a very powerful tool at one’s disposal if used in earnest.
So God decides for you if you ask? I thought there was a freedom of choice element?

And if God just points everyone in the direction they should go, what is the point of living?

Being all knowing doesn't seem to be the same as all choosing. If he presents you with 2 great choices, isn't some of it up to yourself to choose between the 2?

Again, it all seems a bit illogical when you actually discern it. He will ultimately do what he wants, and prayer and God will be used as a ruse to rationalize the choice to fans. That's the point of religion.

It's just not the same. There is absolutely a point where more money doesn't really change anything for you. But 1-2 million in NIL aint that point.

Hurley is making over 5 million a year, and stands to get somewhat of a raise. He has a long term deal. That dude is literally set for life.

Reed comes back to UK and maybe gets 1-2 million. He doesn't have a long term contract locked up.

If he goes top 10: Cason Wallace went 10th last year. He got 24 million over 4 years. That changes your life a lot more than 1-2 million at Kentucky.

There's a slim chance Reed decides to come back--but it won't be because he thinks 1-2 million is all the money he needs.

Reeds stats are NOT going down. You dont go from the bench to the focal point and stats go down, In Popes system Reed averages over 20 and has 5-7 assist with 3-5 steals a game.

might go #1 in next years class
Reed could have a great year and his 3pt % could easily drop. There aren’t many people who shoot 50% from 3 multiple years in college.

Also, is Reed really ready to play in the NBA? He's what, 19? Undersized for a guard in the league, and playing D-1 competition, while not easy, is not the same as going up against the elite of the elite.

Is this a serious question? Point #1: Do you know the difference in the amount of money a high level NIL player would make compared to a top 10 NBA draft pick? It’s not close
Point #2 Hurley has been making 7 figures for a long time. With that, I’m sure he lives below his means and invests a large amount of money every single year. His assets has had decades to compound. He could most likely never have to work again because of the compound effect it’s had on his investments. Meaning he’s at the point in his life where making more money doesn’t change his life/ level of happiness.

Sheppard is 19. He’s been making 7 figures for less than a year (if he’s making that. Which he might be). He probably doesn’t have much in the way of assets yet. He couldn’t quit basketball today without ever having to work again. Again, decades of a large sum of money compounding is the difference here.
So he’d been taking a massive risk in not going to the NBA this year. You’d do it, I’d do it, and 99.9% of the population would do the same.

Point #3 yes Sheppard could in fact get hurt and have a career ending injury. It’s not likely. But he could. Going back to that risk factor, you should absolutely take the guaranteed 7 figure signing bonus. Sure I’d love if he came back. And if any Kentucky ever in the history of a top 10 draft pick Kentucky player were to ever come back, Sheppard might be the most likely… with that being said, it’s not likely

Also, is Reed really ready to play in the NBA? He's what, 19? Undersized for a guard in the league, and playing D-1 competition, while not easy, is not the same as going up against the elite of the elite.
Ready or not, you should not turn down a multiple seven figure signing bonus

Complete BS. If you get 2 million dollars at nineteen you are set unless your clueless. What planet are you on? Money doubles roughly every 7 years. If he stayed at UK 4 years he's have 5 or 6 million (after tax). Are you kidding me? His kids wouldn't have to work eventually.
lol no you’re not. 2 million is actually barely over 1 million after taxes. Sure you can invest most of it. But a 1 million dollar net worth isn’t retirement money. I became a millionaire in my 30s and I certainly wasn’t “rich” . A fair amount for retirement is more like 5 million at least. Then if you live off the 4% rule, you can live a nice (not extreme) life, and your money will still compound as you live off 200k a year

• Love
Reactions: augustaky1
Jesus Christ I really can't believe this is even a question. The answer is that Reed isn't even 20 yet and Hurley is 51. Hurley made it to the top of his profession and is a multi-millionaire many times over.

Which is exactly what Reed is trying to do, to get to the top of his profession.

Reactions: OmahaCats
I think a lot of people over estimate the NIL deals. Very few teams have 4 million, and 4 million divided by 10 players came out to $400,000. not the 3-4 million that Reed will be getting next year as a pro.

Dumb.

Ones in school which doesn't last forever, the other is speaking of his career.

One is deciding what he wants, the other Is what you want.

One is at the pinnacle of his career, the other is just starting

One has reached his goal, the other hasn't

Dumb.

Ones in school which doesn't last forever, the other is speaking of his career.

One is deciding what he wants, the other Is what you want.

One is at the pinnacle of his career, the other is just starting

One has reached his goal, the other hasn't
Nah. Reed's career has already started. He can be a millionaire next year and continue that for the next decade or so. Your argument is weak.

The whole argument that you and others have based it on is all about career earnings. Reed is already earning money and will continue to do so. Hurley turned down extra money to be happy. Reed could do the same and still make over 100 million in his career.

Further, how do you know what Reed's goals actually are? What if one of those goals is to get Kentucky to a final four while still being a millionaire in the process? Don't presume to think for him. You have no clue what he's thinking.

Last edited:
I would love to see him stay and I hope he does, but remember the boys only 19 years old and he has dreams
Why must this dreams be mutually exclusive? How do you know one of his dreams is not to win a title at Kentucky? How do you know one of his dreams is not to become the most popular person in the state for the next portion of his life? Why can't he do all of that and still go on to become a millionaire in the NBA? Answer: he can do all of it if that's what he truly wants.

That's bad logic. It assumes that his draft value will plummet to the place where he no longer has an option to turn pro after another year.

Reed isn't a Doron Lamb type with a one-trick pony skill set who must strike when the iron is hot. Sheppard is insanely skilled. Those skills will not depreciate from a second year at kentucky.

Is this a serious question? Point #1: Do you know the difference in the amount of money a high level NIL player would make compared to a top 10 NBA draft pick? It’s not close
Point #2 Hurley has been making 7 figures for a long time. With that, I’m sure he lives below his means and invests a large amount of money every single year. His assets has had decades to compound. He could most likely never have to work again because of the compound effect it’s had on his investments. Meaning he’s at the point in his life where making more money doesn’t change his life/ level of happiness.

Sheppard is 19. He’s been making 7 figures for less than a year (if he’s making that. Which he might be). He probably doesn’t have much in the way of assets yet. He couldn’t quit basketball today without ever having to work again. Again, decades of a large sum of money compounding is the difference here.
So he’d been taking a massive risk in not going to the NBA this year. You’d do it, I’d do it, and 99.9% of the population would do the same.

Point #3 yes Sheppard could in fact get hurt and have a career ending injury. It’s not likely. But he could. Going back to that risk factor, you should absolutely take the guaranteed 7 figure signing bonus. Sure I’d love if he came back. And if any Kentucky ever in the history of a top 10 draft pick Kentucky player were to ever come back, Sheppard might be the most likely… with that being said, it’s not likely
You're not even a real Kentucky fan. That fact was established about 3 months ago. Why are you even in this discussion?

Reactions: Ugoff
You just can't boil everything down to money because it doesn't mean the same thing to everybody. There are billionaires out there who'd happily murder your entire family for another few million and poor people who wouldn't steal a dime from you.

Lots of people out there have made $100 million without ever stepping on an NBA court. Reed will obviously get the opportunity to do that, whether it's this year or next. What a lot of people here are saying is Reed's Financial future is not in jeapordy regardless of which direction he goes. What it seems a lot of you think it comes down to is how greedy does he want to be? What if Reed's post playing day goal is to live it up with a nice house in London KY and tooling around Lake Laurel in the summers. Doesn't take bagillions to do that, and his dad owns a wealth management company. I have to think his money will get invested responsibly no matter his path in life.
No what I am saying is 5 million doesn’t go as far as you think if he wants to keep up with the Jones etc. a million dollar home and furniture, wardrobe etc means is 20-40% gone if not careful at his age. Where 100 million will definitely last his lifetime. Yes you can say “oh just be conservative with your money” but you also have to realize his age when stating that. He seems smart but the law of average says it goes much much faster than you think if your 20 and want to never work another day in your life for the next 60 years.

That's bad logic. It assumes that his draft value will plummet to the place where he no longer has an option to turn pro after another year.

Reed isn't a Doron Lamb type with a one-trick pony skill set who must strike when the iron is hot. Sheppard is insanely skilled. Those skills will not depreciate from a second year at kentucky.
I was referring to NIL vs a year on the 2nd contract/career in the NBA. Nothing to do with the draft. There’s nothing bad about what I stated.

You're not even a real Kentucky fan. That fact was established about 3 months ago. Why are you even in this discussion?
😉. Oh but I am. Why else would I be on here. I just think the majority of people on here (not all) are Insane. And I enjoy getting under people like that’s skin. Just admit, I made a good point on this post

A middle-aged man is going to have vastly different point of view than a young man. Almost a different animal.

Hank gathers.

Why must this dreams be mutually exclusive? How do you know one of his dreams is not to win a title at Kentucky? How do you know one of his dreams is not to become the most popular person in the state for the next portion of his life? Why can't he do all of that and still go on to become a millionaire in the NBA? Answer: he can do all of it if that's what he truly wants.
It's just a lot of what if this and how do we not know that?

I think the kid is probably wrestling with it as we speak. I just think in the end, long term financial security wins out.

Dan Hurley already has long term financial security. Without Kentucky's 11 million a year--he'll still have more money than he'll ever know what to do with. Reed isn't there. And 1-2 million at Kentucky won't put him there.

24 million in the NBA with the clock ticking towards the 2nd contract will.

RS would be the kind of kid to come back in these circumstances if he felt he could win a title. Hard for him to be thinking that way when there are almost no players on the team.
And I am sure that Cal had that same thought, that one way to ensure Reed doesn't come back is to encourage anyone on the roster to leave. No doubt in my mind that Cal has talked / texted with these guys since leaving UK.

Hank gathers.
No need to try and be funny at the expense of someone who's dead. The question was name someone whose draft status was altered due to a career-ending injury in college. Odd question, but the point was clear. Hank never saw any change in draft status.

I’ll be disappointed if Reed doesn’t come back to help rebuild.

He did interviews and segments during the season and claimed UK basketball meant more to him. Put up or shut up time.

I’ll still root for him and follow his career like i do almost all of our other one and dones. But he has a chance to seperate himself from the rest of the fail and bail culture of the last 9 seasons. And it would be really disappointing if he doesn’t take the chance to do that.

Plus Pope will actually run plays to get the best shooter in the country open 3’s. Shepherd under Pope next season could easily be what JJ Reddick was at Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT