ADVERTISEMENT

Why Dillingham is a homeless man's Iverson (video evidence):

Here's Iverson in high school. I love Dillingham, but athletically, you can see the distinction in the video. I really wish Iverson didn't go out the night of the "bowling alley brawl" when he was arrested for assault. Can you imagine this fella on that 1995 and/or 1996 UK team?

I was at that bowling alley the night before that incident. Lived 3 houses down from "Bubbachuck" after he got drafted, Dude bought 29 cars his first year in the NBA.lol. His attorneys finally talked some sense into him into allowing them to manage his $$$. Saw him one night at a gas station about 3 am.

He was driving a Mercedes 600 Sedan and had one of those crystal prisms with a 76er logo hanging from his mirror. It was just me and him. I don't usually like to bother celebrities but introduced myself and told him we were neighbors and congratulated him on NBA Rookie of the Year. Dude was cool as hell. Told me if I ever needed tickets, his mother Ann would hook me up. BTW, he looks small on tv but I'm 6'1 and he was every bit as tall or taller than me. One other thing, I saw him play football for Bethel High. All State QB and could have been a D1 football player. Wasn't nearly the QB as Michael Vick who I also saw play. That dude was electrifying.

I was at that bowling alley the night before that incident. Lived 3 houses down from "Bubbachuck" after he got drafted, Dude bought 29 cars his first year in the NBA.lol. His attorneys finally talked some sense into him into allowing them to manage his $$$. Saw him one night at a gas station about 3 am.

He was driving a Mercedes 600 Sedan and had one of those crystal prisms with a 76er logo hanging from his mirror. It was just me and him. I don't usually like to bother celebrities but introduced myself and told him we were neighbors and congratulated him on NBA Rookie of the Year. Dude was cool as hell. Told me if I ever needed tickets, his mother Ann would hook me up. BTW, he looks small on tv but I'm 6'1 and he was every bit as tall or taller than me. One other thing, I saw him play football for Bethel High. All State QB and could have been a D1 football player. Wasn't nearly the QB as Michael Vick who I also saw play. That dude was electrifying.

Thanks for sharing that story, sir. I appreciate it. Very cool stuff.

I know people talk about Larry Bird being the "one who got away", but his mental disposition at that time was one that I think would have made it hard to play for a program like Kentucky or Indiana. He needed to grow into the limelight, and he did; rapidly, in fact.

That being said, I think Iverson and Ray Allen were really the ones "who got away" for Kentucky. There was no interference with either of them like there was for McGrady (Adidas $10 million offer) or Nowitzki (straight to NBA from Europe and high school).

All it would have taken for Iverson and Allen to be at UK was Pitino. I loved Rick when he was here, but he dropped the ball on Ray Allen. Pitino could have had the kid if he just showed a bit more humility and made Allen a priority.

Iverson was a bit of a different story. UK pulled the scholarship offer after the fight, but I think Pitino was shortsighted there. Iverson was the top guard in high school. Do you show mercy to a kid in that case, especially when it was clear he wasn't going to be in jail for the full sentence? I think so. I know Pitino was trying to make UK the #1 program at the time, but you've got to roll the dice and take a risk when it comes to guys like Iverson. Worse case, he serves his 3 month stint and never plays college ball again. Best case, you land the kid and he's your point guard on a team that needed one (1995).

We haven’t had anybody that could create their own shot for forever. I’m excited to see what Dillingham can do.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Thanks for sharing that story, sir. I appreciate it. Very cool stuff.

I know people talk about Larry Bird being the "one who got away", but his mental disposition at that time was one that I think would have made it hard to play for a program like Kentucky or Indiana. He needed to grow into the limelight, and he did; rapidly, in fact.

That being said, I think Iverson and Ray Allen were really the ones "who got away" for Kentucky. There was no interference with either of them like there was for McGrady (Adidas $10 million offer) or Nowitzki (straight to NBA from Europe and high school).

All it would have taken for Iverson and Allen to be at UK was Pitino. I loved Rick when he was here, but he dropped the ball on Ray Allen. Pitino could have had the kid if he just showed a bit more humility and made Allen a priority.

Iverson was a bit of a different story. UK pulled the scholarship offer after the fight, but I think Pitino was shortsighted there. Iverson was the top guard in high school. Do you show mercy to a kid in that case, especially when it was clear he wasn't going to be in jail for the full sentence? I think so. I know Pitino was trying to make UK the #1 program at the time, but you've got to roll the dice and take a risk when it comes to guys like Iverson. Worse case, he serves his 3 month stint and never plays college ball again. Best case, you land the kid and he's your point guard on a team that needed one (1995).

Dirk and McGrady too.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He does play a lot like Iverson. AI was definitely one of a kind tho. I think a lot of people forget just how good AI was. Not necessarily talking about people here.

I’ve said this multiple times and I’ll say it again. I think Dillingham and Cal are like oil and water and think he won’t be that great next year and hope I’m horribly wrong.
I feel the same way, but I'm not holding that against Cal. Dillingham relies on extreme ball handling skills and trying to fool defenders with crazy dribbling. That might work at the playground and against HS kids, but that won't work here and Cal will reign that in. That will somewhat neuter what RD does I fear.

Here's Iverson in high school. I love Dillingham, but athletically, you can see the distinction in the video. I really wish Iverson didn't go out the night of the "bowling alley brawl" when he was arrested for assault. Can you imagine this fella on that 1995 and/or 1996 UK team?

Yeah I used this analogy a while back for him too. My nephew coached against him and that's the first thing he told be about him earlier this year - a poor mans Iverson.

I’ve said this multiple times and I’ll say it again. I think Dillingham and Cal are like oil and water and think he won’t be that great next year and hope I’m horribly wrong.
I expressed this same concern when we first signed him.

I love Dillinghams game and he’s a super exciting player to watch. But Cal likes structure in his basic offense and there isn’t a ton of room for improvisation. Sure you can beat your man 1v1 if you can take him off the dribble w 1 move or a single cross, but Dillinghams game is predicated on freelancing, dancing w the ball to create space since he is undersized, and taking contested step backs….. it’ll be interesting tk see if he can play a more controlled, disciplines, and less flashy style similar to Ulis….. or if he struggles to adapt….. or if Cal says to heck w it and let’s him be him.

I do think having Ulis on staff will help though. I believe he should and will be watching old Ulis film when he ran the offense his second year.

I expressed this same concern when we first signed him.

I love Dillinghams game and he’s a super exciting player to watch. But Cal likes structure in his basic offense and there isn’t a ton of room for improvisation. Sure you can beat your man 1v1 if you can take him off the dribble w 1 move or a single cross, but Dillinghams game is predicated on freelancing, dancing w the ball to create space since he is undersized, and taking contested step backs….. it’ll be interesting tk see if he can play a more controlled, disciplines, and less flashy style similar to Ulis….. or if he struggles to adapt….. or if Cal says to heck w it and let’s him be him.

I do think having Ulis on staff will help though. I believe he should and will be watching old Ulis film when he ran the offense his second year.
If Cal does restrain him, my question will be, "why did you recruit him?". That’s his game. He doesn't have great size, or athleticism, so he has to have something to give himself an advantage.

Hopefully Cal lets him play his game, but only if it works and doesn't result in a bunch of turnovers

Do you think AI would have gone to UK? John Thompson was on him hard.

Nice comment bro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT