ADVERTISEMENT

Why are we losing so many 5-Star big men to lesser programs?

For every 1 we have “lost” we have gotten one as well.
We have gotten some very good recruits but generally not among big men, which is what this thread is about.

Cal has played two post guys so far, and his players rarely stay. That means since 2015 we’ve needed 12 big men just to have a starting lineup—forget about a bench.

In that entire time we have landed THREE first-choice-level big men recruits:

Skal Labissier
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington

3 for 12

We aren’t anywhere remotely close to having gotten one main target every time we lost one. Not with big men. We used to get that, pre-2015. The difference shows in our season results.

We have gotten some very good recruits but generally not among big men, which is what this thread is about.

Cal has played two post guys so far, and his players rarely stay. That means since 2015 we’ve needed 12 big men just to have a starting lineup—forget about a bench.

In that entire time we have landed THREE first-choice-level big men recruits:

Skal Labissier
Bam Adebayo
PJ Washington

3 for 12

We aren’t anywhere remotely close to having gotten one main target every time we lost one. Not with big men. We used to get that, pre-2015. The difference shows in our season results.
What in the world is a “first choice big man”. You can Add Nick Richards, Isaiah Jackson, Daimion Collins to that as well. Like I said we also had Richards for 3 years so most of the time even the elite players aren’t wanting to come in and compete with that.

UCLA May have lost its “Champion Lustre”, but man if I could do it over again, I would have attended school in Westwood. That environment has GOT to be more enticing than Bloomington, Lexington or Durham.

IMG_8727.jpeg

Last edited:
James Wiseman, N'Faly Dante, Vernon Carey, Moussa Cisse, Dereck Lively, Adem Bona, Jalen Duren. You would think that these big guys would be beating the doors down at UK to get to play for Cal, considering the number of big men that has played for Calipari that has become NBA all-stars Marcus Camby, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Karl- Anthony Towns & Bam Adebayo. I mean what in the heck is going on here? I guess cheating is legal for everyone but UK.
You should be taking notice of how incredible our 1-3 in recruiting is for next year. You can’t have it all. I’ll take the best backcourt for missing on the front court. Kentucky will get top big man options in the transfer portal. All is good! Be positive

What in the world is a “first choice big man”. You can Add Nick Richards, Isaiah Jackson, Daimion Collins to that as well. Like I said we also had Richards for 3 years so most of the time even the elite players aren’t wanting to come in and compete with that.
You go ahead and believe Isaiah Jackson and Damion Collins are the same value players inside as Makur Maker and Paolo Banchero. As PJ Washington, KAT, Randle, Terrence Jones….. Just because you refuse to be convinced doesn’t mean what I wrote isn’t true plain as day.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You should be taking notice of how incredible our 1-3 in recruiting is for next year. You can’t have it all. I’ll take the best backcourt for missing on the front court. Kentucky will get top big man options in the transfer portal. All is good! Be positive
regardless of how good the guards are, still have to have someone to block some shots & rebound

You go ahead and believe Isaiah Jackson and Damion Collins are the same value players inside as Makur Maker and Paolo Banchero. As PJ Washington, KAT, Randle, Terrence Jones….. Just because you refuse to be convinced doesn’t mean what I wrote isn’t true plain as day.
IJ is one of the best we’ve had. The team was just terrible so it didn’t matter. Collins is tbd. So we should compare every post player we get to the best one in the class? That’s insane. Makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT