ADVERTISEMENT

Why are so many so gloom and doom about not getting top 10 recruits to fill our roster?

Dreklie

Junior
Oct 6, 2014
Nicholasville
All you need as proof is to look at the tournament this year ... the final four between all four teams had ONE freshman starting. We ran Cal out for recruiting so many freshman and you have people on here crying about not having the top freshman ... smh lmaoooo

Edit : I should have worded my post different. The vast majority of our fanbase is on board and perfectly fine with it. There is a loud ass minority that isn't though. That's who I'm speaking of.

Last edited:
Agreed...maybe a few (1-2) high level freshmen, but it's clear that is not a winning strategy in college ball, and it looks like Coach Pope gets that. Time for us to move forward from that model...it will take time to let go of what we were used to with Cal.

I don’t see how there could be doom and gloom about that. Are there even any Top 10 players uncommitted from this incoming class? McNeely isn’t right? And I’m hoping we’re not too late on him, but he’s far from ours anyway. I think the general sentiment is that we’re hyped for a new direction in recruiting, fan engagement, roster construction, roster retention, all that. Coach Pope came in and made that day one stuff. In that press conference, I’d be willing to bet he addressed at least 8 of the top 10 gripes you’d see on this forum about how the program has been run by Cal.

I’M JACKED TO THE TITS!!

I don't think stars mean alot. Its whats between the ears. Layups count same number of points as one hand dunks. (I say that because I could never dunk) :) Though true

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
All you need as proof is to look at the tournament this year ... the final four between all four teams had ONE freshman starting. We ran Cal out for recruiting so many freshman and you have people on here crying about not having the top freshman ... smh lmaoooo
Withdrawal symptoms. Cal has poisoned us all with the top 10 recruits every year. What many of us ignore are the fact that 1) they are just athletic and only a few ever contribute in a huge way that equates to UK wins, and 2) they are gone after one season, even if they aren't ready.

I don't need Pope to recruit all top 10 players from high school. I would like to see him get some of the top 10 portal transferees, and at least stay in the top 50 of high school recruits simply because his offense needs good shooters and high IQ basketball players. With the 5-out and zoom screening always moving / cutting offense, having multiple scoring/shooting and passing weapons and some level of stamina and IQ is required.

Pope has started off on the right foot with this Chandler kid. Having a couple of his BYU players transfer (Robinson and the big) would help tremendously with getting other transfers/freshmen acclimated to the unique offense Pope brings.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I reject this thread’s premise. I haven’t noticed “so many” being “doom and gloom” about the top top 10 recruit issue …at least not recently.

Seems like some folks just sorta make up false narratives as an excuse to start their own threads.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I reject this thread’s premise. I haven’t noticed “so many” being “ doom and gloom” about the top top 10 recruit issue …at least not recently.

Seems like some folks just sorta make up false narratives as an excuse to start their own threads.
There are a couple of posters that make a lot of noise about this. Their "loudness" may lead to the misconception that there is doom and gloom.

I don’t see how there could be doom and gloom about that. Are there even any Top 10 players uncommitted from this incoming class? McNeely isn’t right? And I’m hoping we’re not too late on him, but he’s far from ours anyway. I think the general sentiment is that we’re hyped for a new direction in recruiting, fan engagement, roster construction, roster retention, all that. Coach Pope came in and made that day one stuff. In that press conference, I’d be willing to bet he addressed at least 8 of the top 10 gripes you’d see on this forum about how the program has been run by Cal.

I’M JACKED TO THE TITS!!

Jacked to the…. lol goodness!

Their minds have been poisoned by Cal. They can’t fathom a coach that will build a well balanced roster and a TEAM and not just try to get all 5 star guys who don’t fit together or compliment each other.

Pope is still gonna get top talent. He’s just going to make sure they are the RIGHT guys. He’s going to build TEAMS and not cobble together G League Farm teams

Nobody's doom and gloom about not being nba prep U ppl are anxious about next seasons roster being competitive and want to see how it fills out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I'm certainly not here I am still celebrating as a matter of fact.
I'm celebrating the fact that we don't have to sit here anymore like we have for so many years and watch an extraordinarily entitled low effort me first attitude from these entitled kids that think they don't have to try to beat everyone then get shocked. C'mon we've been seeing it for years.
I am certainly looking forward to building TEAM chemistry in the way that Pope knows how as captain of the 96 squad. He can't forget that love and energy that comes from a championship he knows and he also knows it requires a team, not a draft projection.
We've beat it to death here people these 24-year-old seniors are going to have their way with our top picks 99 out of 100 times and Anthony Davis ain't walking through that door

Withdrawal symptoms. Cal has poisoned us all with the top 10 recruits every year. What many of us ignore are the fact that 1) they are just athletic and only a few ever contribute in a huge way that equates to UK wins, and 2) they are gone after one season, even if they aren't ready.

I don't need Pope to recruit all top 10 players from high school. I would like to see him get some of the top 10 portal transferees, and at least stay in the top 50 of high school recruits simply because his offense needs good shooters and high IQ basketball players. With the 5-out and zoom screening always moving / cutting offense, having multiple scoring/shooting and passing weapons and some level of stamina and IQ is required.

Pope has started off on the right foot with this Chandler kid. Having a couple of his BYU players transfer (Robinson and the big) would help tremendously with getting other transfers/freshmen acclimated to the unique offense Pope brings.
Man, I’m gonna LOVE all this movement/cutting activity on the offensive end! I’ve bitched about that for years about Cal’s teams. Tubby’s teams didn’t have a ton of player movement either. Haven’t had that consistently since RP was here.

We didn't 'RUN CAL' anywhere. He was dropping resumes before the tournament.
Other than that, agreed. New mind set.

I think our mindset will have to change to some degree. I see several negative posters whose screen names aren't familiar. So I'm taking those comments with a grain of salt.

Also I think there is considerable Cal hangover, we have been accustom to his hype and bluster so long that a period of adjustment is necessary

Year one of Pope may in some ways resemble any year (over the last 5) of Cal ball. A bunch of new players whose names we will spend half the year learning and the other half of the year finding out what type of players they are.

I don't understand all the doom and gloom at this stage. What we had wasn't working so what's wrong with trying a new approach? If we don't like the results after this year then we can make our voices heard but how can you possibly argue for doing more of the same when it clearly isn't working. I'd rather try something new with a high degree of failure than run out the same tired thing we have been doing the last four years.

Reactions: chroix
My issue has never been about the recruiting star ranking of an incoming freshman. I assume it would usually be great to get most every 5-star high schooler you could IF . . . IF they were not OAD. And for me that's simply an issue about winning basketball, not me wanting to "get to know the players, etc." Freshmen are just not the best players in CBB or even as a general rule the best players at their position in a conference - often not even the discussion for one of the best. And UK is a program that should be able to attract the best players in CBB from both high school and the transfer portal. We can site multiple examples of good freshmen that played at UK, and that will continue to happen. But does the exception make the rule? Look at the All-American and All-Conference teams. Look at the leaders in shooting percentages and offensive efficiency (defense matters too, but I'm not as confident in judging the defensive metrics). That's where you'll find the best of the best listed - not on a high school recruiting list.

Getting big time recruits is just fun but it doesn't lead to on the court success as we all know. We just got eliminated from the tournament by a dude who would have been the 6th man on a decent Berea College team.

How many top 10 recruits did Cal get recently?

Another example of The Legend of Cal being bigger than reality…

MJ said this morning “we have to get used to not getting 5 of the top 12 receuits..”

Well, we’ve been getting used to that for years now. The modern Cal is not anything like HOF/championship Cal. His recruiting fell off hard.

Not me. No one has done squat with a loaded 1 and done roster. Have been beating my chest for years about blowing up that model and going out and getting some dudes. I honestly believe that Cal doesn’t because he knows he can’t bring those guys along and “coach” them the same as the freshman. A team full of older guys would see right through his crap! I’m not a basketball expert but I feel I know basketball better than most. I have no idea what Cal was teaching on either side of the ball. Mind blowing to be making millions of $ and not have a philosophy or plan.

Reactions: chroix

I don't think there's much doom and gloom, honestly. I think most people have paid attention to college basketball the pst 5 years and understand how logical recruiting works in the year 2024.

Strawman.... No one ran Cal off for "recruiting freshmen". 1. Cal left because of pressure calling for his accountability and FAILURE TO WIN... was looking for a job in Feb instead of coaching. He left... he quit. 2. Cal was tasked with winning - and I dare say no one here cares what year of college the players were in if the team was winning. 3. Cal built every single roster... he built with many freshmen and would constantly roll out the "We're young" and "We're built for March" lines... in classic Cal politician form - he wanted built in excuses and to be able to claim success or failure on both sides of the fence. 4. In the end - what he built was crumbling around him, and he couldn't fix it... so rather than own up to it - he ran. Simple.

Last edited:
I think Cal probably could have made a lot more noise with those freshmen had he actually had Pope's coaching skill.

Instead his entire system was "go make a play".
This board obviously represents a very small opinion of ky fans. I see people here that would complain about anything. And do. If you don't give Pope a chance you’re a fair weather fan. If he wins you will be talking different

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT