ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Your All-Injury UK Team?

Feb 4, 2004
Another thread got me wondering, who would be on your All-Injury UK Team? Specifically players with talent or ability, but who we never saw their full potential because of a history of being injury prone or a single injury that kept them out an extended period.

Just off the top of my head, I'd include:

Starters:
G - Terrence Clarke
G - Derek Anderson
F - Jarred Vanderbilt
F - Alex Poythress
C - John Stewart (incredibly tragic)

Bench:
Nerlens Noel
Sam Bowie
C.J. Frederick
Jason Parker

Honorable mention:
Kellen Grady, Tyty Washington, and Cason Wallace played hurt, but definitely wonder what could've been if they'd been fully healthy in their short UK careers.

We've had so many injuries and injury-prone players, I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Reactions: Mulder14
Jeff Brassow, Derek Anderson, Rodney Dent, Sam Bowie, Mike Casey. If we had a guy like Larry Nasser as our team doctor he would had them back and healthy team in no time. 😂

Jeff Brassow, Derek Anderson, Rodney Dent, Sam Bowie, Mike Casey. If we had a guy like Larry Nasser as our team doctor he would had them back and healthy team in no time. 😂
Mike Casey wasn’t injury prone. He was in a terrible car accident. Kent Hollenbeck without injury could have been one of the best guards ever to play at UK but broke
his foot, never healed and re-broke it multiple times.

Another thread got me wondering, who would be on your All-Injury UK Team? Specifically players with talent or ability, but who we never saw their full potential because of a history of being injury prone or a single injury that kept them out an extended period.

Starters:
G - Terrence Clarke
G - Derek Anderson
F - Jarred Vanderbilt
F - Alex Poythress

Bench:
Nerlens Noel
Sam Bowie
C.J. Frederick
Jason Parker

Honorable mention:
Kellen Grady, Tyty Washington, and Cason Wallace played hurt, but definitely wonder what could've been if they'd been fully healthy in their short UK careers.

We've had so many injuries and injury-prone players, I'm sure I'm missing a few.
Good list...I'd elevate Bowie to starting center. Would also add Dale Brown to the bench. No doubt in my mind that if he doesn't go down against Michigan we hang a banner in '93.

I truly believe injuries to DA and Poythress cost us titles
Not just those. I would also include Conley's flu in 66 tho technically not an injury. Think we still beat Zona if Allen Edwards doesn't have the bad ankle. Casey in 70, Walker in 84, Brown in 93 were all possible titles as well.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not just those. I would also include Conley's flu in 66 tho technically not an injury. Think we still beat Zona if Allen Edwards doesn't have the bad ankle. Casey in 70, Walker in 84, Brown in 93 were all possible titles as well.
I don't remember anything being wrong w/ Sky in '84?

Starters:
G - Terrence Clarke
G - Derek Anderson
F - Jarred Vanderbilt
F - Alex Poythress

Bench:
Nerlens Noel
Sam Bowie
C.J. Frederick
Jason Parker

Honorable mention:

This conservation starts & ends with Sam Bowie. A 7'1" player that before the injuries hit played a foot & a half over the rim, that could beat the guards up the court, that a soft jumper, that was one of the greatest passing big men to ever play the game..... Oh my, what might have been.

I'm keeping this to injuries that happened while with the team, so someone like Mike Casey, won't be on the team. Also, needs to be someone who missed significant time, and not just a few games:

G - Derek Anderson
G - Jody Meeks (missed 20 games sophomore year - I had forgotten about that)
F - Jason Parker
F - Sam Bowie
C - Bill Spivey (missed first half of season after knee surgery)

G - Jeff Brassow
G - Kent Hollenbeck
F - Alex Poythress
F - WCS
C - Rodney Dent

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Mike Casey wasn’t injury prone. He was in a terrible car accident. Kent Hollenbeck without injury could have been one of the best guards ever to play at UK but broke
his foot, never healed and re-broke it multiple times.
That's true. You're right..

Keith bogans ankle against Marquette
Yeah, that hurt.

Knew we had a significant chance to lose with him at less than optimal and we did.

Marquette was also really good that year, under creepy Crean.

What hurt the most is that it really wasn't close. We got a good whupping.

That was also when the true magic was over for Tubby I think. That was one of his last really fun teams and it just kinda slowly died off until 2007. We never were really the same with him after that loss.

Derek Anderson was the best player in college basketball when he got hurt, even better than Tim Duncan. Had he not gotten injured, we would have cruised to a title and he would've been remembered as one of the greatest players here ever. His jersey would be in the rafters. He was unbelievable that year.

Reactions: BlueUKats39
Derek Anderson was the best player in college basketball when he got hurt, even better than Tim Duncan. Had he not gotten injured, we would have cruised to a title and he would've been remembered as one of the greatest players here ever. His jersey would be in the rafters. He was unbelievable that year.
I have to say that all of my memories of DA are of him airborne. There are all those cave paintings of hunters looking like bolts of lightning. That's DA. He just looked like the perfect guard.

Bowie, Noel and especially DA we saw their potential. In fact DA was in the 2-man conversation for NPOY (w/ Duncan before he got hurt).

Starters:
G - Terrence Clarke
G - Derek Anderson
F - Jarred Vanderbilt
F - Alex Poythress

Bench:
Nerlens Noel
Sam Bowie
C.J. Frederick
Jason Parker

Honorable mention:

Derrick Jasper
Mike Casey
Derek Anderson
Sam Bowie
Nerlens Noel

People forget about Jasper because his knee rehab was mismanaged and he did not finish his career at Kentucky. When healthy, he was a hell of a player.

Reactions: jrpross
Derrick Jasper
Mike Casey
Derek Anderson
Sam Bowie
Nerlens Noel

People forget about Jasper because his knee rehab was mismanaged and he did not finish his career at Kentucky. When healthy, he was a hell of a player.

Yes! Totally forgot about Jasper. He was a damn good player when healthy.

The only reason I don't have Bowie starting in my lineup is because we saw more of his potential than we did John Stewart's, but also very unlikely that any center mentioned in this thread would start over Bowie in real life. Phenomenal player, obviously.

But yeah, Jasper. Definitely overlooked him.

WCS 2014
Jared Vanderbilt
Derek Anderson
Keith Bogans
TyTy Washington
Sam Bowie
Jodie Meeks 2008 even if it was BCG
Patterson going down late in 2008
Alex Poythress
PJ Washington
Derrick Jasper

Derrick Jasper
Mike Casey
Derek Anderson
Sam Bowie
Nerlens Noel

I always kind of thought that about Jasper, but you go back and look and his numbers his freshman year just weren't that good:

3.9ppg
2.9apg
2.1tpg
21% from 3

At UNLV, he averaged 5.7ppg.

I think we wanted him to be good and we liked his size for a PG, but he was never good.

Jodie Meeks & Derrick Jasper both earned SEC All-Freshman Team honors during Tubby's last season. The microfracture knee surgery certainly impacted his basketball playing career, came back early during BCG's first year and wasn't much of a shooter ever. I do remember his last game at Rupp, the 2008 Senior Day win at Rupp he had one of his best games as a Wildcat with 14 points and made 4 3's in the game.

You all have such short memories! # 1 has to be Sahvir Wheeler. No one has ever gone through such a mysterious injury!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT