ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best player from each of Kentucky's 16 high school regions that went on to play for UK?

Tom Thacker.
Tom Thacker I believe played for Covington Holmes. I saw him play at Memorial Coliseum in the 1959 KY east vs west All star game. He and Bob Rice, 6'6" forward from Sandy Hook, were the most valuable players in that game. Thacker went to Univ of Cinn where he started for three years and won a NCAA championship In 1961? He was 6'2" but had great hops. I think he later played in the NBA with the Royals.

Reactions: jeffky
Tom Thacker I believe played for Covington Holmes. I saw him play at Memorial Coliseum in the 1959 KY east vs west All star game. He and Bob Rice, 6'6" forward from Sandy Hook, were the most valuable players in that game. Thacker went to Univ of Cinn where he started for three years and won a NCAA championship In 1961? He was 6'2" but had great hops. I think he later played in the NBA with the Royals.
Thacker attended the old segregated Covington HS, William Grant. My cousin played against Thacker in HS and for Xavier against UC. College coach McCafferty asked him how he did against Thacker in HS. Told him he held him to 30.

William Grant produced another topnotch player, George Stone, who played for Marshall. Stone led Grant to a near upset of 1964 state champ Seneca with Wes Unseld. I believe Grant lost in 2OT when they had has 2 FT's to win & missed both. School was disbanded with integration into Holmes after the 64-65 school year. I saw William Grant play in their last three seasons in existence. A good friend saw his only ever varsity action against Grant in that last season.

BTW, Thacker is the answer to the trivia question of who is the only playER to win an NCAA, ABA, & NBA title.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffky
Thacker attended the old segregated Covington HS, William Grant. My cousin played against Thacker in HS and for Xavier against UC. College coach McCafferty asked him how he did against Thacker in HS. Told him he held him to 30.

William Grant produced another topnotch player, George Stone, who played for Marshall. Stone led Grant to a near upset of 1964 state champ Seneca with Wes Unseld. I believe Grant lost in 2OT when they had has 2 FT's to win & missed both. School was disbanded with integration into Holmes after the 64-65 school year. I saw William Grant play in their last three seasons in existence. A good friend saw his only ever varsity action against Grant in that last season.

BTW, Thacker is the answer to the trivia question of who is the only play to win an NCAA, ABA, & NBA title.
That game sounds similar to the one lee county played in 1966 with Larry stamper unbelievable nobody from that area did not mention Larry 😃 they lost in the semi because there best free throw shooter missed free throws with game on the line huge heartbreak

Team 1, the 16 guys who were the best UK Wildcat from their respective KY region,

Team 2, the 16 guys who were the best player anywhere other than UK from their respective region.

Which team wins? I assume team 2 would have Houston, Cowen, McDaniels, Lofton. I’m not sure who else.

Team 1, the 16 guys who were the best UK Wildcat from their respective KY region,

Team 2, the 16 guys who were the best player anywhere other than UK from their respective region.

Which team wins? I assume team 2 would have Houston, Cowen, McDaniels, Lofton. I’m not sure who else.
Team 2 would have to have Ballard's Jeff Lamp who was All-ACC at Virginia all four seasons 1st team All-American his senior season, 15th pick in the 1981 draft, 8-year NBA career. I'd put him over Lofton. LSU's Rudy Macklin would be on there, too.

Wes Unseld was pretty good. I saw him as a high school junior when they won the state tournie.

Anybody remember the 1972 florida st Seminole the head coach from louisville Hugh Durham
Ron King louisville central
Otto petty louisville central
Larry gay 6th man winchester ky george rogers Clark also long time assistant to Hugh Durham
Larry has a grandson that is a sophomore at George rogers Clark and ranked #2 in the state for class 2027
Ron King was recruited by rupp but wanted to go play where Dave Cowan played another kentuckian FSU

Reactions: tug1543
Rebounding machine man what a player unseld was for his size might be the best Kentucky ever produced he is definitely up there
There used to be a fellow named Daryl Dawkins who called himself Chocolate Thunder among other things. One night in Washington, his NBA team lost to Unseld and the Bullets. Dawkins raged in the dressing room and ripped urinals and sinks off the wall. Reporters asked Unseld what he thought about it. Unseld said, "Daryl is a nice boy. He calls me Mister Unseld."

There used to be a fellow named Daryl Dawkins who called himself Chocolate Thunder among other things. One night in Washington, his NBA team lost to Unseld and the Bullets. Dawkins raged in the dressing room and ripped urinals and sinks off the wall. Reporters asked Unseld what he thought about it. Unseld said, "Daryl is a nice boy. He calls me Mister Unseld."
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Anybody remember the 1972 florida st Seminole the head coach from louisville Hugh Durham
Ron King louisville central
Otto petty louisville central
Larry gay 6th man winchester ky george rogers Clark also long time assistant to Hugh Durham
Larry has a grandson that is a sophomore at George rogers Clark and ranked #2 in the state for class 2027
Ron King was recruited by rupp but wanted to go play where Dave Cowan played another kentuckian FSU
FSU also had a 6'10" forward by the name of Reggie Royals who was a great player. Hugh Durham later on coached the Univ of Ga. I saw an interview a Ga sports writer had with Durham and he talked about the FSU beat down of UK during the 1972 NCAA tournament. Durham said he grew up an avid UK fan and as a kid if UK lost he was so upset he couldn't go to school the next day. He said he always felt bad about being the coach that ended coach Rupp's 40 year coaching career with a loss because he loved the cats so much as a kid and had such great respect for Rupp.

15 region John Pelphrey with Billy Ray Cassady from Inez a close second.
Todd May from Virgie was pretty good. He won Mr. Basketball and was named MVP of the 1982 state tournament on a team that finished 4th. After short stints at UK and Wake Forrest he was drafted in the 4th round of the 1987 NBA Draft by the San Antonio Spurs coming out of tiny Pikeville College (now UPike).

The 4th region trio of Blevins, Stockton, and Carrier all had similar careers at Kentucky. Which one was the best in y'all's opinion? I'm slightly biased since one of them went to my high school.
If that is the best the region has had to offer, let’s just skip it.

Todd May from Virgie was pretty good. He won Mr. Basketball and was named MVP of the 1982 state tournament on a team that finished 4th. After short stints at UK and Wake Forrest he was drafted in the 4th round of the 1987 NBA Draft by the San Antonio Spurs coming out of tiny Pikeville College (now UPike).
Man I remember him I thought he was going to be a great player for Kentucky but just never did happen

Some great louisville region athletes prior 1980
Wes unseld (close to playing for UK mom advised otherwise due to the climate in the south at the time )
Are you sure about that? From the quotes I’ve seen at the time Unseld’s mother was supportive of UK recruiting him. It was Wes himself who wasn’t enthusiastic about playing for UK or in the South.

Reactions: TeoJ
Are you sure about that? From the quotes I’ve seen at the time Unseld’s mother was supportive of UK recruiting him. It was Wes himself who wasn’t enthusiastic about playing for UK or in the South.
I have heard two different sides I read where his mother was concerned about his safety in the south at that time and I also heard that Kentucky booed him really bad at memorial when introduced causing Wes to look elsewhere

Valid statement, but actually the best the 4th region had to offer was probably Jim McDaniels who became an AA at WKU and took them to the F4.
Your post got me to thinking. Who are the 5 best players from each of Kentucky's 16 high school regions regardless of what college that they attended.

I'll take the 11th region

Jack Givens
James Lee
Melvin Turpin
Jeff Mullins
Dirk Minniefield

Reactions: clifm
Man I remember him I thought he was going to be a great player for Kentucky but just never did happen
Todd May had he stayed at UK could have developed into a heck of a player for us. Heard several years back where May said that if he had it to do over again. That he would have stayed at UK.

Your post got me to thinking. Who are the 5 best players from each of Kentucky's 16 high school regions regardless of what college that they attended.

I'll take the 11th region

Jack Givens
James Lee
Melvin Turpin
Jeff Mullins
Dirk Minniefield
Vince Taylor from tates creek was really good all american at Duke

Todd May had he stayed at UK could have developed into a heck of a player for us. Heard several years back where May said that if he had it to do over again. That he would have stayed at UK.
At the time I heard he got home sick don't know if it was a rumor or true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT