ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best player from each of Kentucky's 16 high school regions that went on to play for UK?

When Roy Skinner (Paducah) was coach at Vandy he pulled some good ones out the 1st and other regions of Kentucky and CM Newton followed his lead. My favorite 1st region who played for the Commodores was Joe Ford from Mayfield.
The" F Troop" of Ford, Ferrer? and Fosner? were tough. Gave the cats fits!

I can't think of anyone you've left out. That's the Region that I played in, 1962-65. We got to the Final game of the Regional Tournament in 1964, when our area was in the 5th Region. Lost to Allen County. One of the several great regrets of my life. Allen County went to the semifinals of the State Tournament that year.

I've thought a lot about the question since this thread was posted, and I can't think of anyone who contributed more significantly to U.K.'s basketball team during his tenure than J. P. Blevins.
Two of the greats from the old 5th Region were in the 1964 Regional tournament - my teammate and lifelong friend Bob Brizendine of Franklin-Simpson H.S., who averaged 22 ppg that season and later played at Georgia Tech; and the great Richard Travis of Bowling Green High Street H.S. who played at Oklahoma City University and was the 7th leading NCAA ppg scorer in the country in 1967. Alas ... neither of those great players went to U.K.
Probably the all-time best player from the 4th would be Jim McDaniels (Allen Co) who played at Western Kentucky. Is there anyone better that y'all know of?

Larry Johnson was a hell of a player great defensive player union county I believe Marion Haskins played there too

The 4th region trio of Blevins, Stockton, and Carrier all had similar careers at Kentucky. Which one was the best in y'all's opinion? I'm slightly biased since one of them went to my high school.
One is from my high school also. I also am biased.

Benny Spears Ashland , Chief Bowling Sandy Hook and Bob Rice Sandy Hook 16th
Orbie "Chief" Bowling, 6'10' and Bob Rice, 6'6' played on the 1959 Sandy Hook HS team which was the tallest team in the state and at one time during the 59 season was ranked # 1 in the state by either the Dunkle or Litkenhouse rankings. Roy Fannin , who scored 61 points in a game his senior year, 1960, was also a guard on that team.
Chief had verbally committed to Eastern Ky after his senior year and was working at Eastern during the summer of 59. Just prior to the beginning of the fall semester Chief was visiting his parents for the weekend and an asst coach at the Univ of Tennessee drove up to Sandy Hook, picked Chief up and drove him back to Knoxville. He played four years for UT starting at center during his junior and senior years. His UT team beat UK twice during the 62-63 season with Chief playing a major role in the wins. This was sweet revenge for him because he wanted to go to UK but for some reason Rupp didn't recruit him.
Chief played a few seasons for both the New York nets in the NBA and for the Ky Colonels in the ABA. He also played several years for the Washington Generals which was the opposition team that traveled with the Harlem globetrotters. Several years ago the Sandy Hook School Superintendent during a conversation with Chief asked him what were his fondest memories from his playing years. He replied that beating UK and blocking 4 or 5 of Cotton Nash's shots was one of his biggest thrills but the most memorable event occurred while playing for the Generals against the globetrotters in London. He said after the game, Prince Charles, now the King of England, brought his sons down to the sidelines and asked Chief to autograph the game program for his sons, one of whom was Prince Harry. Ponder that for a minute the King of England asking for the autograph of an ole country boy raised on a small hillside tobacco farm located on a gravel road several miles outside Sandy Hook.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Bob Rice received a BB scholarship to UK where he played for one year before transferring to Lindsay Wilson. In the winter of 59-60 I was at Memorial coliseum and saw Bob Rice and Orb 'chief" Bowling jump center against each other when they were matched up during the UK and UT freshmen teams.

I give the edge to Mike Casey Mike was a great hs and college basketball player scoring machine had he not broke his leg in that wreck his junior year I truly believe that the 1970 team with issel key Pratt andrews would have won rupp his 5th ncaa man the pain still stings with the WHAT IF
Definitely Casey pre car accident one of the most complete players I ever saw. The closest I ever saw was Larry Bird and Reed. All threes greatest quality was their sense of anticipation and then the next move after that.

5th Region only produced a couple of UK players- Epps and Barbour. Best player ever is probably Clem Haskins out of Taylor County. Louisville has got a lot of players out that region Boo Brewer, Tick Rogers, Troy Smith, Robbie Valentine. Brett Burrow was all-SEC at Vandy, Stepphon Pettigrew won Mr. Basketball and was 1st team All-Sun Belt at Western. Boley and Scott weren't anything special after high school.
Honorable Mention: Elton Scott, Boo Brewer, Antwan Barbour, Kevin Ellery, and Scott Boley

5th Region only produced a couple of UK players- Epps and Barbour. Best player ever is probably Clem Haskins out of Taylor County. Louisville has got a lot of players out that region Boo Brewer, Tick Rogers, Troy Smith, Robbie Valentine. Brett Burrow was all-SEC at Vandy, Stepphon Pettigrew won Mr. Basketball and was 1st team All-Sun Belt at Western. Boley and Scott weren't anything special after high school.
And course Burrow’s dad Bob was an All American at UK
and his jersey is in the rafters. He was from Wells, Texas

Reactions: m080470
Marion Haskins played at Taylor County too clem Haskins nephew

I was there the year e-town played marion co in the 5th region final. It was more than packed and it seemed like an even game but e-town just had all the right chemistry, they went on that year 2000?, to win the state championship.

And it was a first in my experience, seeing a high school team with a player having their own fan section in the stands...E-town was electric that year.

Some great louisville region athletes prior 1980
Wes unseld (close to playing for UK mom advised otherwise due to the climate in the south at the time )
Ron King
Otto petty
Tom payne (UK but jailed on rape
Junior bridgeman
Darrell griffith
Bobby Turner
Rudy macklin

Damn louisville produced some high rate ballers back then what the hell happen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT