ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best player from each of Kentucky's 16 high school regions that went on to play for UK?

FqlOHjdXsAAp2W2
8th Jack Tingle?

Last edited:
Showing my age, but Adrian Smith was good enough to be the MVP of an NBA all star game and won an NCAA championship with the Fiddling Five.
Yes Odie from Farmington. My 70 year old memory overlooked him. He certainly should be there with Rollins and Key. The 3 of them make the Purchase a big contributor some of the best for UK

Last edited:
The 1st region had never been recruited very hard by Kentucky that I can remember while having a few players over the years that were good enough like Barry Goheen for those of you who remember him.
When Roy Skinner (Paducah) was coach at Vandy he pulled some good ones out the 1st and other regions of Kentucky and CM Newton followed his lead. My favorite 1st region who played for the Commodores was Joe Ford from Mayfield.

Jack Givens is a UK icon but Billy Ray Lickert from Lafayette definitely deserves mention on this thread. Kentucky Mr. Basketball, 3-time all-SEC, Helms all-american in 1961.

Reactions: sefleming
The 4th region trio of Blevins, Stockton, and Carrier all had similar careers at Kentucky. Which one was the best in y'all's opinion? I'm slightly biased since one of them went to my high school.

Charles Hurt?
I give the edge to Mike Casey Mike was a great hs and college basketball player scoring machine had he not broke his leg in that wreck his junior year I truly believe that the 1970 team with issel key Pratt andrews would have won rupp his 5th ncaa man the pain still stings with the WHAT IF

Reactions: Deli owl
4TH

Brandon Stockton
Josh Carrier
JP Blevins
Tony Key

im sure im missing some thats just since ive been paying attention
I can't think of anyone you've left out. That's the Region that I played in, 1962-65. We got to the Final game of the Regional Tournament in 1964, when our area was in the 5th Region. Lost to Allen County. One of the several great regrets of my life. Allen County went to the semifinals of the State Tournament that year.

I've thought a lot about the question since this thread was posted, and I can't think of anyone who contributed more significantly to U.K.'s basketball team during his tenure than J. P. Blevins.
Two of the greats from the old 5th Region were in the 1964 Regional tournament - my teammate and lifelong friend Bob Brizendine of Franklin-Simpson H.S., who averaged 22 ppg that season and later played at Georgia Tech; and the great Richard Travis of Bowling Green High Street H.S. who played at Oklahoma City University and was the 7th leading NCAA ppg scorer in the country in 1967. Alas ... neither of those great players went to U.K.

Reactions: ThroughBlue
I can't think of anyone you've left out. That's the Region that I played in, 1962-65. We got to the Final game of the Regional Tournament in 1964, when our area was in the 5th Region. Lost to Allen County. One of the several great regrets of my life. Allen County went to the semifinals of the State Tournament that year.

I've thought a lot about the question since this thread was posted, and I can't think of anyone who contributed more significantly to U.K.'s basketball team during his tenure than J. P. Blevins.
Two of the greats from the old 5th Region were in the 1964 Regional tournament - my teammate and lifelong friend Bob Brizendine of Franklin-Simpson H.S., who averaged 22 ppg that season and later played at Georgia Tech; and the great Richard Travis of Bowling Green High Street H.S. who played at Oklahoma City University and was the 7th leading NCAA ppg scorer in the country in 1967. Alas ... neither of those great players went to U.K.
John Allen from Cumberland County scored 1600 points at eastern

Never heard of Key.

Not an impressive group.
But a big-time player from the 4th went to WKU (Jim McDaniels)

And the sad part from the 10th, given played at KY, we must leave out Chris Lofton... Darius, Deron, Ronnie, Basil...but Chris never received an offer. Chris scored over 2100 points for TN against top caliber SEC guards.
Allen was a really good player for Mason too both of them I played on there golf course good people

Vernon Hatton and James Lee would be my second and third choices. What region was Flat Gap with Carroll Burchett? Burchett and Osborne was a hell of a tandem back in the late 50's.
Dirk minniefield 11th wasn't too shabby either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT