ADVERTISEMENT

Who would've thunk it - UK football a 'destination' school

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Being in my late 50s, I've watched a LOT of bad football, courtesy of UK. While not a blue-spectacle wearing fan, I definitely have always been very optimistic every summer and early fall about 'this is the year'. Never did I expect UK football to consistently be mentioned in the press as a consistent contender in the SECE (or at least a top-3 team). And who would've ever believed that UK football would become a place where highly regarded transfers would want to go? For years, we had a hard time recruiting HS kids even when UK was their only SEC (sometimes P5) offer. Now, with Jones, Dingle, Morgan, Robinson, Levis and Fulton, I think you can confidently say that players are recognizing that this isn't the 'same old KY' anymore and they want to come here and play in bowl games and compete for SECE titles and maybe more. If we put together an 8+ win season again this year, the momentum will keep building and we should, once again, have a very good recruiting class. Stoops, while stumbling at times early, has built the program to a level that I didn't think was possible.

Can we win 8 games?
OOC - all 4 opponents should be decided underdogs this year (regardless of what some members of the press think about UofL)
Very winnable games in the SEC - Vandy, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Miss State (not buying MO or MSU are gonna be all that this year; with reasonable production from the QB position, we should beat both of those teams)
Games where we'll be the 'dog' but could be much closer than originally thought - Florida, LSU (Florida lost a ton of offensive production and LSU may still be a year away from top-of-the-conference consideration, plus it's at home)
Games where we'll be decided underdog - Georgia (too good, too deep - we'd have to play an exceptional game and Georgia a mediocre game, imo, to pull of this upset)

Next year’s NFL draft for the Cats could be even bigger than this year. Draft hopefuls for 2022:

Offense:
Robinson - WR
Ali - WR
Rigg - TE
Upshaw - TE
CRod - RB
DK - OL
Fortner - OL

Defense:
McCall - DL
Paschal - DL
Square - LBer
Wright - LBer
Jones - LBer
Corker - S
DRob - S
Ajian - S

Some are long shots, but others will get their draft shots.

GO Cats

s-l1600.jpg

Next year’s NFL draft for the Cats could be even bigger than this year. Draft hopefuls for 2022:

Offense:
Robinson - WR
Ali - WR
Rigg - TE
Upshaw - TE
CRod - RB
DK - OL
Fortner - OL

Defense:
McCall - DL
Paschal - DL
Square - LBer
Wright - LBer
Jones - LBer
Corker - S
DRob - S
Ajian - S

If they have good years, I would think DK, Paschal and Wan'dale could all be possible 1st round picks. And several could go before the 5th, assuming they have good years and remain healthy. Amazing to think how much the program has changed in just the past 4-5 years. We're on a good path and just need to take care of business this fall to keep it moving forward.

Being in my late 50s, I've watched a LOT of bad football, courtesy of UK. While not a blue-spectacle wearing fan, I definitely have always been very optimistic every summer and early fall about 'this is the year'. Never did I expect UK football to consistently be mentioned in the press as a consistent contender in the SECE (or at least a top-3 team). And who would've ever believed that UK football would become a place where highly regarded transfers would want to go? For years, we had a hard time recruiting HS kids even when UK was their only SEC (sometimes P5) offer. Now, with Jones, Dingle, Morgan, Robinson, Levis and Fulton, I think you can confidently say that players are recognizing that this isn't the 'same old KY' anymore and they want to come here and play in bowl games and compete for SECE titles and maybe more. If we put together an 8+ win season again this year, the momentum will keep building and we should, once again, have a very good recruiting class. Stoops, while stumbling at times early, has built the program to a level that I didn't think was possible.

Can we win 8 games?
OOC - all 4 opponents should be decided underdogs this year (regardless of what some members of the press think about UofL)
Very winnable games in the SEC - Vandy, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Miss State (not buying MO or MSU are gonna be all that this year; with reasonable production from the QB position, we should beat both of those teams)
Games where we'll be the 'dog' but could be much closer than originally thought - Florida, LSU (Florida lost a ton of offensive production and LSU may still be a year away from top-of-the-conference consideration, plus it's at home)
Games where we'll be decided underdog - Georgia (too good, too deep - we'd have to play an exceptional game and Georgia a mediocre game, imo, to pull of this upset)
The Curry years were brutal.

Offense:
Robinson - WR
Ali - WR
Rigg - TE
Upshaw - TE
CRod - RB
DK - OL
Fortner - OL

Defense:
McCall - DL
Paschal - DL
Square - LBer
Wright - LBer
Jones - LBer
Corker - S
DRob - S
Ajian - S

If 2/3rds get drafted, that would be 10, easily Kentucky’s best of all time, and in the top 2 or 3 of the SEC for 2022!

John Ray, Jokers last few, etc. Lot of bad football in my life.
There was. Jokers years (thank God) were short. Just seemed like the Curry years drug on forever for me. Abysmal football. Years where they probably couldn’t even beat a barber college. Who could forget the exciting (sarcasm) 96 thrilling 3-0 victory over Indiana? The Steve Spurrier beatdowns, Why I continued to watch I can’t answer that.

No matter what the POWER K just looks like Football vs the limp UK on the helmet. Why can't football use the POWER K and everybody else use UK, that'll identify the program.
Doesn't matter because they are slowly transitioning over to this;

newkentuckylogo.jpg

Grew up with the power K too and therefore am partial to it for tradition sake and do agree it fits the football look more than the interlock.

I think the reason behind the interlock change was for branding more than anything since we had developed and become known for our nickname - UKAY, so I think they wanted to build on that. There arent many other schools that are known that way outside of UCLA, USC, BYU and of course Miami that goes by go by the U now. And some of then have to be because of brevity. Other than maybe Indiana we may be the only other state school known that way nationwide.

Last edited:
Reactions: HCaulfield
ADVERTISEMENT