ADVERTISEMENT

Who plays SG vs SF?

Mar 5, 2006
Here’s how I see the roster breakdown so far:
** Edit: For those who will not read beyond the original post. This is NOT a depth chart. This is the position I see our guys playing at. We have several players simply listed as GUARD.

PG - Lamont Butler

SG - Travis Perry (I think this is his natural position)

SF -

PF - Andrew Carr

C - Amari Williams (I Know the rumors circulation but he’s still here at the moment), Brandon Garrison.

Where do the following players fit best when it comes to the 2 & 3? Brea, Chandler, Oweh, Kiirsa?

I still want another PF & Pure PG. Thanks for your insight! I don’t know all these players yet.

Last edited:
I said this in another thread. Butler starts at PG. that’s a fact. Kriisa will start at SG, Brea at SF. That’s my take on it

Then Carr at PF and Williams at C. Helluva starting lineup, honestly

Travis Perry isn't starting.
Sorry for the confusion

That’s not what I was saying at all. I’m saying Lamont Butler is a PG, Travis Perry is a SG, Carr is a PF, Williams and Garrison are C.

Where do the rest of the guys best fit? They are all listed as guards. This isn’t a completed depth chart. I’m trying to figure out where you see the remaining 4 guys playing most? 1, 2, or 3?

I said this in another thread. Butler starts at PG. that’s a fact. Kriisa will start at SG, Brea at SF. That’s my take on it
Thank you!

I haven’t seen Kriisa play at all. His stats show that he gets a lot of assists. Is there any PG in his game? Or is he just a good passing SG?

Sorry for the confusion

That’s not what I was saying at all. I’m saying Lamont Butler is a PG, Travis Perry is a SG, Carr is a PF, Williams and Garrison are C.

Where do the rest of the guys best fit? They are all listed as guards. This isn’t a completed depth chart. I’m trying to figure out where you see the remaining 4 guys playing most? 1, 2, or 3?
I am not sure, honestly. Want to see how the last little bit fills out.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
The issue here is that none of us know much about these players, or how Pope plans on using them. It’s not like one of Cal’s freshmen. We knew for months those kids were coming, knew their strengths, weaknesses, etc.

We know next to NOTHING about these guys. We’re just making educated guesses and playing blind darts at this point

Thank you!

I haven’t seen Kriisa play at all. His stats show that he gets a lot of assists. Is there any PG in his game? Or is he just a good passing SG?

Kriisa led the PAC-12 in assists, so I'm guessing he may be more of a CG.

My guess is the SG/SF spots are interchangeable. So, in the backcourt as of now,

Butler/Kriisa split time at PG... Bulter maybe getting just under 25 mins/game, Kriisa getting 5-10 mins game, and either Chandler or Perry getting the remaining minutes depending opponent, score, etc.

Kriisa/Oweh/Brea split the bulk of the SG/SF mins at about 25 mins/game. Again, Chandler or Perry getting the remaining minutes depending opponent, score, etc

PG - Lamont Butler

SF -

PF - Andrew Carr

C - Amari Williams (I Know the rumors circulation but he’s still here at the moment), Brandon Garrison.

Where do the following players fit best when it comes to the 2 & 3? Brea, Chandler, Oweh, Kiirsa?

I still want another PF & Pure PG. Thanks for your insight! I don’t know all these players yet.
Some folks here need to dial back the Perry expectations.

He ain’t starting as a freshman.

Kriisa led the PAC-12 in assists, so I'm guessing he may be more of a CG.

My guess is the SG/SF spots are interchangeable. So, in the backcourt as of now,

Butler/Kriisa split time at PG... Bulter maybe getting just under 25 mins/game, Kriisa getting 5-10 mins game, and either Chandler or Perry getting the remaining minutes depending opponent, score, etc.

Kriisa/Oweh/Brea split the bulk of the SG/SF mins at about 25 mins/game. Again, Chandler or Perry getting the remaining minutes depending opponent, score, etc
I think this is probably pretty close to accurate currently. I can see a scenario, in Pope's system, where Oweh gets "stretch 4" mins as well. That might be the biggest think BBN is going to have to get used to. The days of two or three "bigs" on the court at once are over.

PG--Kriisa, Butler

Wings--Brea, Oweh, Chandler, Perry

Bigs--Carr, Williams, Garrison

Put Robinson in the mix with the wings and this is looking like a very competitive group. PG play worries me, Will have a lot of scoring punch on the wings.

The issue here is that none of us know much about these players, or how Pope plans on using them. It’s not like one of Cal’s freshmen. We knew for months those kids were coming, knew their strengths, weaknesses, etc.

We know next to NOTHING about these guys. We’re just making educated guesses and playing blind darts at this point
I mean really we should know more about these guys as they have played multiple years in college basketball and have developed as players. We just had AAU highlights for the Cal recruits and had no clue as to how their games would translate to the college game against grown men.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
you may save yourself some headache from replies by editing your original post to say

Here’s how I see the roster breakdown so far (not naming starters, just positions):
Thanks for your comment.

Also, I’m interested to see how Travis Perry does. I recall tons of fans at the sweet 16 saying there was no way he could lead his team to the state title. He’s been bet against most of his life and just keeps winning.

If Pope plays like last year the offense is initiated at the 5.
There are 4/5 shooters. The standard names for the players don’t apply. Everyone is expected to catch, pass, and shoot.

There’s a reason Pope’s offense is discussed. Why it is hard to prepare for.. it’s odd.

Please watch some of the BYU games on YouTube.

PG - Lamont Butler

SF -

PF - Andrew Carr

How many of these guys have multiple years of eligibility? Perry, Chandler and Garrison are the only ones I'm aware of so far. Williams, Brea, Carr, Kriisa, and Butler are all 5th year guys. Need some guys with multiple years left or else we're doing this all over again next year, albeit with a bigger head start and hopefully a few freshman recruits too.

Edit: Forgot Oweh, he has a couple of years left, so that's good.

Last edited:
This will be a team of interchangeable players capable of playing multiple positions.
Brea can play 2 guard or sf
Kriisa can play pg or 2g
Carr can play pf or stretch f
Otega can play 2g or sf
Butler is a pg
Perry some pg but more 2g
Williams is a c
Garrison is a c but pf in spots
Chandler is a 2g but sf in spots

We aren't done yet either.

Butler with Kriisa as back up and Perry if both in trouble POINT GUARD
Kriisa Oweh Chandler as 2Guard
Brea, Oweh Chandler as the 3
Carr / Garrison / Oweh if foul trouble at the 4
Williams / Garrison / Carr at 5

The starting 5 I am hoping to have are....

PG = Butler
SG = Brea
SF = Robinson
PF = Carr
C = Williams
Robinson would be nice to get but IF he came. Expect him to come off the bench like he did at BYU...and that's OK, some players prefer it.

Reactions: Farsight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT